Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an a4 block and it obviously doesn't have oil squirters. Would it be beneficial to have them added? I've been reading mixed reviews.

The casting is there for them. no holes. I don't know whats behind it. I'm assuming the holes are there and it just needs to be drilled and tapped.

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The le mans motors I have read up on all use them.
People say that if you use forged pistons you don't need them. I can see that logic. I would be more concerned with the quality of the piston though, not so much the material but the metal composition (hot spots, etc).
What piston/ring are you using?
I've read all of that as well.

I was looking at wiseco's for pistons. Unless you have another suggestion.

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think, key term:THINK, there is a thread from Ron on one of the DEV motors on how to install oil squirters in a block without them and how to modify the squirters to increase oil pressure.

Sorry I couldnt get you a block CJ, a decent one atleast, but im glad to read you got one:up:
I'll have to search. I'm going to try, I will have to pull a lot of resources to do this and I don't believe it will be a simple task.

No problem colin, actually found this one down the street from work, so it worked out for me. :up:

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have two K24a4 blocks myself and i'm in the process of building one and I'm going to try to install the squirters. I plan to take the bare block to a machine shop and have them mill off the tops of the mounting bosses to create a good flat spot for the squirters to seal to. They use a fairly standard banjo bolt style fitting but the seal needs to be tight to avoid loosing oil pressure. The thread is an 8mm x .75mm and you can find that tap at Victor Machine on-line for about $4 although they have a $15 minimum order. I just ordered a few carbide burrs to get to that ammount. Cant have too many carbide burrs LOL:rolleyes:

As far as the squirters lowering the oil pressure, I really don't think that will be a problem. The banjo bolts that hold them to the block have an internal chack valve that prevents oil flow to the squirters below a given pressure. I want this engine to last and I won't be reving it to hell and gone but I want to be sure that oil is getting everywhere it needs to go. There must be a good reason that Honda puts the squirters on ALL of their high performance engines.

I will also be doing the Hytech oil line modification to the #5 cam tower to ensure adequate oil supply to the valvetrain and I will be replacing the chain tensioner with the Hybrid racing one. Like I said, I want this engine to last FOREVER :p
What is the hytech oil line mod consist of?

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
you dont need them with forged pistons. Ive never used them on built k motor. i plug them on every build.
From what i've been reading and looking at both motors. I feel it will be more beneficial to have them than not have them. Why wouldn't you want to cool things off and have more lubrication? Even with forged pistons, they will help increase the life of the motor.

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
after reading all this about oil squirter can some one tell me when you do a k20 k24a2 with oil squirter build do you have to modify anything else on the head to make it work or does the squirters work of the oil pump and pressure by it self with no other mods needed. if this is so then a frank swap should be fairly stragiht forward with the head swaps right . correct me if i'm wrong..

oh and like some one says in here that you'll lose oil pressure if you don't block off the oil squirters, well i remember reading in the 8th gen civic forum and some guy was doing a k20/k24a2 swap and he specifically say to bolck off the the squirters or you will regret..hummm i personally belive that oil squriters will help the motor to last over the years to come( motor longevity).please help.
The k24a2 there is no mods needed for a k20 head.

Did he take the squirters out and forget about it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts