Tags
diy faq k24
117K views 78 replies 35 participants last post by  funktion 
#1 · (Edited)
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
SEE THE ENTIRE THREAD HERE
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Comments, Suggestions, and Submissions are Welcomed
If you do not see the information you are looking for here, check the Stickied threads in the Subforums. If you do not see what you are looking for, you can search the entire site, or narrow the search to a specific subforum. It is best to ask a question in a related thread, this keeps the information organized and it also helps others find information in older threads.

Read this thread FIRST!
Read ME!
Read this thread FIRST!

If you would like to contribute, just post it up. Show us what you got too, pics are what we need the most:up:
You can upload pics to a hosting site like photobucket.com or flickr.com
You can also upload them directly to the site by clicking here when you make a post:

2002-2003 RSX FSM <<<<Right Click, Save As :up:
2002-2005 TSX FSM <<<<Right Click, Save As :up:
Or you can buy it here HelmInc.com

More FSMs courtesy of xproductionz

EVEN MORE FSMs
SECOND LINK

Quick Links to Sections

BUILD THREADS

Blocks / Cranks / Rods / Pistons

Body / Chassis / Cosmetic

Engine Accessories / Ignition / Pulleys / Power Steering

Engine Differences

ECU / Engine Management / Tuning

Engine Builds!

Forced Induction (Turbo / Supercharger) and Nitrous

Frank Info *K24/K20*

Fuel System / Injector info

Head / Cams / Valvetrain / Intake Manifolds / Throttle Bodies / Headers

Heating / AC

Oiling systems and components

Shifter info

Transmission / Axles / Flywheel / Clutch

*Swaps and Parts lists*

Wiring and Pinouts

Just making this so I can put a link to it in my signature, and compile my write-ups into one thread so they can be accessed easier, as I am not looking to have each one stickied.

For an in-depth look of many detailed and helpful write-ups from others on k20a.org check Signalpukes DIY and FAQ thread in the "General K series related talk" section of the forum.

Or Click here: >>>>> DIY and FAQ <<<<< READ ME!!!

My writeups:

General K series related talk
Compression and Leakdown tests
-What they are and how to interpert them
All Motor K series technical discussion
Coming soon...

Forced induction and Nitrous K series discussion
Why: Your Vacuum gauge is important
-An explanation of what vacuum is, what it does, what can affect vacuum and how you can tell using your boost gauge

Suspension, Handling, Body and Apperance corner
Brake Systems - Making your own
-This thread is detailed in the basics of brake systems and fluid hydraulics. A touch into the more technical pieces of the brake system and introduction to making your own brake hardlines for your vehicle. Photos included
PIC Performance: Suspension Review
-A thread about PIC suspension, and a few other products they make for the honda enthusiast.

Engine Building
Explanation of "Balancing"
-Gives the basic idea and steps taken to balance the internal working parts of an engine.

K20A VTEC breakdown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Originally posted by Targa250R-

The K20A3 does not have a standard DOHC VTEC valvetrain as we know it from the B-series engines - the K20A3 should actually be called a "DOHC i-VTEC-E" engine, because it uses a VTEC-E cam setup. The K20A2 is the "real" DOHC i-VTEC engine, utilizing the standard DOHC VTEC cam setup we're all familiar with. To help you understand the differences between the K20A2 and K20A3 engines, I've included the following information from a post I made elsewhere:

Allow me to evaluate. Let's start out by defining some terms:

VTEC - Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control. At low RPM, a VTEC engine uses a normal cam profile to retain a smooth idle, good fuel economy, and good low-end power delivery. The VTEC mechanism engages a high-lift, long-duration "race" cam profile at a set RPM value (i.e., ~5500RPM on the B16A) to increase high-end power delivery.

VTEC-E - Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control for Efficiency. This system isn't really VTEC as we know it. At low RPM, the VTEC-E mechanism effectively forces the engine to operate as a 12-valve engine - one of the intake valves does not open fully, thus decreasing fuel consumption. At a set RPM value (i.e., ~2500RPM in the D16Y5), the VTEC-E mechanism engages the 2nd intake valve, effectively resuming operation as a normal 16-valve engine. Note: in a VTEC-E engine, there are no high-RPM performance cam profiles; this engine is supposed to be tuned for fuel economy, right?

VTC - Variable Timing Control. This is a mechanism attached to the end of the intake camshaft only which acts as a continuously variable cam gear - it automatically adjusts the overlap between the intake and exhaust cams, effectively allowing the engine to have the most ideal amount of valve overlap in all RPM ranges. VTC is active at all RPMs.

i-VTEC - intelligent Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control. This is a combination of both the VTEC and the VTC technologies - in other words, i-VTEC = VTEC + VTC. Currently, the only engines that use the i-VTEC system are the DOHC K-series engines.

Now this is where things get tricky - Honda uses the term "DOHC i-VTEC" for two different systems: The first system is used in the K20A2 engine of the RSX Type-S. The second system is used in the K20A3 engine of the Civic Si.

The First System (K20A2):

This system is pretty close to the older DOHC VTEC engines. At low RPM, the K20A2 uses a normal cam profile to retain a smooth idle, good fuel economy, and good low-end power delivery. At 5800RPM, its VTEC mechanism engages a high-lift, long-duration "race" cam profile to increase high-end power delivery. The only difference between this i-VTEC engine and the older VTEC engines is the addition of the VTC system. The intake camshaft has the automatic self-adjusting cam gear which continuously optimizes valve overlap for all RPM ranges.

Here we see an image of the intake cam lobes of the K20A2. Notice there are 3 lobes; the two side lobes are the low-RPM profiles, and the center lobe is the high-lift, long-duration profile which engages at 5800RPM. Basically the same setup as the old VTEC engines we are familiar with.

Now here we see the VTC mechanism - the gear on the end of the intake cam that adjusts valve timing (overlap) automatically on the fly.

This system is used in engines powering the JDM Honda Integra Type-R, Civic Type-R, Accord Euro-R, and the USDM Acura RSX Type-S and TSX.

The Second System (K20A3):

This system does not really conform to the "DOHC i-VTEC" nomenclature, as Honda would like us to believe. As I mentioned in my previous post, it actually should be called "i-VTEC-E," because it uses a VTEC-E mechanism rather than a standard VTEC mechanism. At low RPM, the VTEC-E system effectively forces the engine to operate as a 12-valve engine - one of the intake valves does not open fully, thus decreasing fuel consumption. At 2200RPM, the VTEC-E system engages the 2nd intake valve, effectively resuming operation as a normal 16-valve engine. There are no high-RPM performance cam profiles; this engine is tuned to balance fuel economy and power, rather than provide pure performance. On the intake cam, there is the VTC mechanism which basically is an automatic self-adjusting cam gear used to continuously optimize the valve overlap for all RPM ranges. This being a VTEC-E system - and not a true DOHC VTEC system - is the reason the K20A3 redlines at a measly 6800RPM, while the K20A2 is able to rev all the way to 7900RPM.

Here we see an image of the intake cam lobes of the K20A3. Notice there are only 2 lobes - there is a nearly round one used only for the low-RPM disabled intake valve, and then there is the regular lobe used by the other valve at low-RPM and by both valves at high-RPM:

This system is used in engines powering the USDM Acura RSX base, Honda Civic Si, Accord 4-cylinder, CRV, and Element.

Special note: The K20A3 engine used in the Acura RSX base has a slightly different intake manifold design from the K20A3 engine used in the Civic Si. The RSX engine uses a dual-stage manifold, similar in concept to the manifold of the B18C1 in the old Integra GSR. It uses long intake runners at low-RPM to retain low end power, and switches at 4700RPM to a set of shorter intake runners to enhance high-end torque. This accounts for the extra 9 ft-lb of torque in the RSX (141 ft-lb, vs. 132 ft-lb in the Civic Si).

Here is an image showing just how this dual-stage manifold works. On the top, you can see the low-RPM (long) runners are in use, and on the bottom, you can see the high-RPM (short) runners in use.

Myths:

1. The i-VTEC engine engages VTEC gradually, and not suddenly like in the old VTEC engines.

Wrong. The i-VTEC engine "engages VTEC" at a single set RPM, like always. Whoever started this rumor is a ****tard. Read the definitions above.

2. VTC engages at a set RPM.

Wrong. VTC is always activated. Read under "VTC" above.

3. The K20A3 engages VTEC at 5000+ RPM.

Wrong. Technically, there is no "VTEC" (as we think of it) in the K20A3 engine - it uses a VTEC-E technology, which engages at 2200RPM. Read under "The Second Sytem" above.

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: Some DIY and FAQ

Ditto!:up: I think this section will be a great addition to an already great website, and should decrease some question threads.

#6 ·

signalpuke said:
Updated and organized a bit. I will be adding more stuff here too, all feedback is welcome.
Also, I can host images. Just PM me and I will send you my email addy.
signalpuke....you complete me!!! crystal said her too, miss you lil brother

#22 ·

signal, i figured this was going to be a good thread, but look at it now, its just a new one but there is alot of excelent info on it. i predict in the future that it will have to be split into diffrent threads much the way it is seperated now. or you will have to prune this up a tad if it gets way to crowded.
but remember that this is a good thing because people care and genuinly want to help other people.
i will have to dig up or write a few things, post in another thread to be pruned by the masses to be accruate and then ya can put it up here.

#30 ·
I have organized it a LOT. Also added a "swap section" that has some examples of how users have done the swaps with different mounts in different chassis.
If you are doing a swap with a chassis/mount kit not listed and are doing a build thread, or you already have a build thread, link it here and I will add it up.:up:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.