Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1221 - 1240 of 1265 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's great 20v_lover! Don't you life at 1600 m above sea level? Atmospheric pressure relates to around 0-50 m above sea level. What was the injector duty cycle at peak power?
Sorry before i create confusion i only had power runs done on both cars no dyno time yt.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Motor: k24 block /w k20 head Stock port, decked/trued 87.5mm Bore with wiseco 11.1:1 pistons, balanced crank, manley rods. k20a2 oil pump.
Ktuned Header-Ktuned 3"oval exhaust.
DC 3.2 Street Cams /w upgrade valvetrain.
FIC 525CC injectors.
RBC intake on stock TB with custom 4" short ram
Stock a2 trans with the stock 4.3 final.

Might be a bit low, but it was about 101 degrees F in the dyno bay, we also tuned it more for street driving than pushing WOT hp. Vtec seemed happy coming on at 4k. First post, figured I'd try to contribute something half useful as I don't see a whole lot of dyno charts for these cams out there. Tuned by MRD in Portsmouth, VA. Curious what we can pick up with a bigger TB and porting on the RBC.

·
Registered
444 Posts
View attachment 102127

Motor: k24 block /w k20 head Stock port, decked/trued 87.5mm Bore with wiseco 11.1:1 pistons, balanced crank, manley rods. k20a2 oil pump.
FIC 525CC injectors.

Might be a bit low, but it was about 101 degrees F in the dyno bay, we also tuned it more for street driving than pushing WOT hp. Vtec seemed happy coming on at 4k. First post, figured I'd try to contribute something half useful as I don't see a whole lot of dyno charts for these cams out there. Tuned by MRD in Portsmouth, VA. Curious what we can pick up with a bigger TB and porting on the RBC.
View attachment 102127

FIC 525CC injectors.

i think the numbers sound about right for 11:1 and stock ports. Im sure with the changes you mentioned there’s considerable gains to be had 👍

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will say the powerband is much, MUCH improved over when that head was on a stock k24a2 block making ~254whp. Don't have a dyno graph of it unfortunately but it was absolutely gutless until you hit 5k and vtec came on like a hammer. This setup is a lot smoother feeling

·
Registered
444 Posts
I will say the powerband is much, MUCH improved over when that head was on a stock k24a2 block making ~254whp. Don't have a dyno graph of it unfortunately but it was absolutely gutless until you hit 5k and vtec came on like a hammer. This setup is a lot smoother feeling
Do you think that’s from the lacking compression on the oem tsx block paired with the 3.2 cams ? Even with a 6 speed trans it felt slow down low ? I had a 24/20 that was a stock crv 9.6:1 block and z1 head making around 230/180 and even on the 5 speed trans it felt like it took off very well down low

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wish the shop that did that original tune gave me a dyno print out (which probably tells us something right there), but ya it just felt gutless down low, I was doing my everyday shifting at like 4500ish just to get down the road. I did read way back in the stock k24 block thread someone had the same issue with it just feeling very lacking down low on those cams. But from what I've been able to find on the 3.2's as far as other people's results with them and now my experience, they really do seem to come alive with more compression. I'd have gone a tad higher comp if I could source E85 near me, but 11:1 is what the shop I went to advised for pump 93 safety.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I wish the shop that did that original tune gave me a dyno print out (which probably tells us something right there), but ya it just felt gutless down low, I was doing my everyday shifting at like 4500ish just to get down the road. I did read way back in the stock k24 block thread someone had the same issue with it just feeling very lacking down low on those cams. But from what I've been able to find on the 3.2's as far as other people's results with them and now my experience, they really do seem to come alive with more compression. I'd have gone a tad higher comp if I could source E85 near me, but 11:1 is what the shop I went to advised for pump 93 safety.
4500 is pretty high for driving around town. I would assume the dyno graph has a story to tell but nonetheless it sounds like everything is good and proper now. I’m starting my swap build with a good oem z1 head/cams and a blown up z1 block lol so I’m probably going the stock block route for awhile and debating if I can afford/which ones I’ll put in if I decide to do cams

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,354 Posts
...I'd have gone a tad higher comp if I could source E85 near me, but 11:1 is what the shop I went to advised for pump 93 safety.
The shop better advised you to keep the stock or some DIC cams with that compression. You easily can operate your engine safe on 12.5:1 CR if tuned right. Ignition timing retard will be around 1°-4° (depending on VE, engine speed and IAT) compared to 11.0:1. I am not sure if they even mounted the cams, the torque graph tells me this is something stock near. Either they kept the stock cams in the engine or they didn't tune VTC to optimum. Would you like to share your engines calibration via email?

For the record, is that dyno measurement wheel or flywheel based?

·
Registered
444 Posts
The shop better advised you to keep the stock or some DIC cams with that compression. You easily can operate your engine safe on 12.5:1 CR if tuned right. Ignition timing retard will be around 1°-4° (depending on VE, engine speed and IAT) compared to 11.0:1. I am not sure if they even mounted the cams, the torque graph tells me this is something stock near. Either they kept the stock cams in the engine or they didn't tune VTC to optimum. Would you like to share your engines calibration via email?

Almost positive it’s whp

·
Registered
444 Posts
Not sure about it, as the cross over point of torque and power is 6200 instead of 5252 rpm...something is in wheel and something in flywheel maybe.
This is true ! I missed that. 200+ torque is quite good usually engines with that torque are nearing the 300 hp mark ?

·
Registered
10 Posts

Measured from the wheel on a mustang dyno. Yes, I'd love to share the calibration file if you could take a closer look at it. The cams should have been mounted from the shop that built the last motor off the stock k24a2 block. That block blew after I rounded a corner into 3" of water from a broken watermain with a cold air intake. The HP numbers off the last block and those cams seemed consistent with what other people seemed to be getting on the stock block k24 thread on here, but who knows the shop that built that motor half-assed everything they could and swiped my sway bar it honestly wouldn't surprise me at this point if they stole my cams too.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,354 Posts
Measured from the wheel on a mustang dyno.
If both are measured wheel based then in case of the units whp and wftlb the both lines would meet at around 5252 rpm, but the crossing point is at 6720 rpm around. This means power or torque have another base. This is given by math when setting Power = Torque in the formula Power = Torque x 2 x pi x frequency. Power / Torque = 1 and this should give you the requirement for the frequency calculation which is 1 = 2 x pi x frequency...some steps later you get a result for the frequency, depended on rating and units you have chosen.

Yes, I'd love to share the calibration file if you could take a closer look at it. The cams should have been mounted from the shop that built the last motor off the stock k24a2 block. That block blew after I rounded a corner into 3" of water from a broken watermain with a cold air intake. The HP numbers off the last block and those cams seemed consistent with what other people seemed to be getting on the stock block k24 thread on here, but who knows the shop that built that motor half-assed everything they could and swiped my sway bar it honestly wouldn't surprise me at this point if they stole my cams too.
Sorry to read that mess. I've send you my email address. I will have a look by tomorrow if you sent it today. My week gets tough and busy, so Monday would be the best chance for it. We surly will get some light into that. I will keep you updated :).

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,354 Posts
...Yes, I'd love to share the calibration file if you could take a closer look at it.
I've got the calibration. I skimmed it and these are my results:
  1. safety design:
    • deactivated Honda knock control - dangerous
    • deactivated knock sensor - what a nonsense
    • protection action isn't defined beside MIL for overheating - I miss the action on engine speed and lambda to be clear to driver there is an issue which should be handled
    • lean protection disabled - dangerous
    • fan activation at early 88 °C - why?
    • revving limit at 8500 rpm - I would limit it to 8200 rpm as peak power is at 7800 rpm
  2. correction tables:
    • lambda - no high temperature (IAT, ECT, ...) correction
    • wrong dead times below 14 V - this leads to, as they are to small, to a lean situation at lower battery voltages
    • ign. timing stock Hondata values - ok
    • 35 % fuel trim - looks like the basis was a 86x86 tune
  3. tuning
    • ign. timing low speed cam is a joke, 24° for all engine speeds above 2250 and above 70 kPa
    • fuel tables not tuned for each VTC, just tuned for one single overall map. This is the cause many tuners miss to do a good work, because first the fuel has to dialed in before the cam phasing can be compared from 50° down to 0° VTC
    • VTEC at 4000 rpm is way to early for a DC 3.2 cam, especially for your setup, which isn't that inhailer type
    • low speed VTC is a joke, WOT is only 50° VTC for all engine speeds. This makes no sense...
    • high speed VTC looks like the one from a stock cam, borders are: 50°@5500 rpm, then retard to 20° at 8000 rpm. For a DC 3.2 cam this would be surprising when VTEC is optimal at 4000 rpm as setup'd. Power wise your setup looks like to be restricted on the exhaust side, but VTEC speech is different. This doesn't look to me as either not well tuned or not having DC cams on board. Beside that low and mid load at high speed cam wasn't tuned to optimum just set over all below 87 kPa to 34° or 32°
    • low speed fuel goes up even after VTEC switch engine speed, this makes no sense, if it goes up torque goes up
My verdict, the tune is not safe, especially not regarding knock and leaning. Beside that VTC wasn't tuned in many areas. VTEC mis-placement is highly depended on that nonsens VTC tune in the low speed cam. VTEC isn't optimal there when low speed cam would be optimized it would come to lay around 5000 rpm. Regarding the DC 3.2 cams, I strongly recommend you to lift of the valve cover and make a photo to post here. I hope the cost of that tune wasn't huge, for me it has some huge quality and safety lacks. Sorry to write that.

Markus

·
Registered
444 Posts
  1. safety design:
    • protection action isn't defined beside MIL for overheating - I miss the action on engine speed and lambda to be clear to driver there is an issue which should be handled
    • revving limit at 8500 rpm - I would limit it to 8200 rpm as peak power is at 7800 rpm
  2. correction tables:
    • wrong dead times below 14 V - this leads to, as they are to small, to a lean situation at lower battery voltages
  3. tuning
    • ign. timing low speed cam is a joke, 24° for all engine speeds above 2250 and above 70 kPa
    • fuel tables not tuned for each VTC, just tuned for one single overall map. This is the cause many tuners miss to do a good work, because first the fuel has to dialed in before the cam phasing can be compared from 50° down to 0° VTC
    • VTEC at 4000 rpm is way to early for a DC 3.2 cam, especially for your setup, which isn't that inhailer type
    • low speed VTC is a joke, WOT is only 50° VTC for all engine speeds. This makes no sense...
    • high speed VTC looks like the one from a stock cam, borders are: 50°@5500 rpm, then retard to 20° at 8000 rpm. For a DC 3.2 cam this would be surprising when VTEC is optimal at 4000 rpm as setup'd. Power wise your setup looks like to be restricted on the exhaust side, but VTEC speech is different. This doesn't look to me as either not well tuned or not having DC cams on board. Beside that low and mid load at high speed cam wasn't tuned to optimum just set over all below 87 kPa to 34° or 32°
    • low speed fuel goes up even after VTEC switch engine speed, this makes no sense, if it goes up torque goes up
My verdict, the tune is not safe, especially not regarding knock and leaning. Beside that VTC wasn't tuned in many areas. VTEC mis-placement is highly depended on that nonsens VTC tune in the low speed cam. VTEC isn't optimal there when low speed cam would be optimized it would come to lay around 5000 rpm. Regarding the DC 3.2 cams, I strongly recommend you to lift of the valve cover and make a photo to post here. I hope the cost of that tune wasn't huge, for me it has some huge quality and safety lacks. Sorry to write that.

Markus
Very thorough diagnosis I may have to send you my tune after it’s done to get a double check 💀😂

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow.. Thanks so much for looking it over. Not going to lie makes me feel a bit sick though haha. I seriously can't win with this car. Guess I'll need to figure out exactly what cams are in there, then find a different tuner..

·
Registered
444 Posts
  1. safety design:
  2. correction tables:
  3. tuning

Markus
Wow.. Thanks so much for looking it over. Not going to lie makes me feel a bit sick though haha. I seriously can't win with this car. Guess I'll need to figure out exactly what cams are in there, then find a different tuner..
i think I’m going to have markus tune mine remotely when it’s finished it seems he is quite knowledgeable about the vtc , timing etc. that’s a bum rap about finding out your tune is bad but on the plus side you’re finding out before it goes bang right lol..

1221 - 1240 of 1265 Posts