Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1241 - 1252 of 1252 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Popped the valve cover today. Good news is they are indeed DC 3.2 cams as confirmed by the manufacturer mark "Drag cartel 0032“. Guess the bad news is this tune is really wonky.
Well at least you’re not out the thousand bucks for those ! Sounds like you’re in for some gains as well. Usually 3.2 cams I would think would get you more in the 280 range if your intake and exhaust are adequate

·
Registered
8 Posts
That'd be nice. Just got done emailing Jeff from Evans Tuning, his assessment was much the same. Garbage tune. I'm going to see if he won't hook me up with an etune for it. Shame too the shop I took it to did great machine work and fabricated a really nice 4" short ram with v-stack and heat shield for me. Just not really the best at turning (to put it mildly) I guess. Live and learn.. Guess I'll take the $500 L and move on.

·
Registered
292 Posts
That'd be nice. Just got done emailing Jeff from Evans Tuning, his assessment was much the same. Garbage tune. I'm going to see if he won't hook me up with an etune for it. Shame too the shop I took it to did great machine work and fabricated a really nice 4" short ram with v-stack and heat shield for me. Just not really the best at turning (to put it mildly) I guess. Live and learn.. Guess I'll take the $500 L and move on.
Well it sounds like you got a game plan at least and are on the path to getting it all squared away that’s lucky the tune didn’t blow your sh”! Up

·
Registered
8 Posts
Haha yaa there's that. Hopefully didn't cause any damage. Guess I'll just drive it real easy and keep er off the vtec sauce til Evans can get it squared away.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi guys,

Here I am back after having had a lot of things to take care of, next door!

I come here to share the new dyno made this Sunday.

As a reminder, the setup:

Ekk20
K20a2 145kkms Full Stock (From valve cover to oil pan :d )
HeaderRcrew like (Megan racing)
Exhaust 76mm (2 Simons)
RBC (70mm bored, not ported)
70TB
Intake velocity stack, 3" tube
FI 550cc
Flywheel Dc5
Crank Pulley Tegiwa
E85

We had as result last year:

36 ° C (Heatwave!) = 232.24hp / 214.3nm (2.5" exhaust)

Last dyno:

25.8°C = 254hp/231nm (3"exhaust)

Several things:

• The 1st dyno was performed with OEM Honda rims (EP2 15 "> 9kg each) and the second with OZ Ultraleggera (15"> 5.9kg each)
  • It was really excessively hot on the day of the 1st dyno (Stifling!)
  • I don't know if the 1st dyno is well calibrated but the 2nd looks good! Just before the EK, a 1p Leon Cupra was passed (MAP, R8 coils, decat, 3" exhaust> 291hp, which seems quite correct for setup)
  • As specified, the 2nd dyno was carried out with the 3 "exhaust and that confirms what I had felt! Loss of torque at the bottom, but the car was going stronger afterwards!

What do you think of all this?

@LotusElise Hello, We can clearly see the different curve here!

Attachments

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,266 Posts
Thanks for the cooooool update da_sherminator!

25.8°C = 254hp/231nm (3"exhaust)
Much more realistic numbers for E85 and that engine setup. But there are still questions for me. The most pressing question is, why does the dyno measured power and torque curve stop at 7850 rpm. The torque still holds strong (which is not common for a RBC IM) so power would still climb. It doesn't look like a stock longblock setup with an RBC. It looks more like a stage 2 cam setup with an different IM. VTEC is pretty late for a 3" exhaust piping, but that could also be caused by the RCrew header copy. But most wondering point is why the heck the torque stands that long that high with just an stock setup and bolts on and why the curves stops when it still climbs. We still talk about a 86x86 engine, which easily revvs to 8500 rpm in a DD application.

·
Registered
23 Posts
[QUOTE = "LotusElise, post: 3312751, membre: 16822522"]
Merci pour la mise à jour cooooool da_sherminator !

Des chiffres beaucoup plus réalistes pour E85 et cette configuration de moteur. Mais il y a encore des questions pour moi. La question la plus urgente est de savoir pourquoi la courbe de puissance et de couple mesurée par le dynamomètre s'arrête à 7850 tr / min. Le couple reste fort (ce qui n'est pas courant pour un RBC IM), donc la puissance grimperait toujours. Cela ne ressemble pas à une configuration de stock long block avec un RBC. Cela ressemble plus à une configuration de caméra de niveau 2 avec un IM différent. VTEC est assez tard pour une tuyauterie d'échappement de 3 ", mais cela pourrait également être causé par la copie de l'en-tête RCrew. Mais le point le plus surprenant est de savoir pourquoi le couple est aussi long que haut avec juste une configuration d'origine et des boulons et pourquoi les courbes s'arrête quand il grimpe encore.On parle toujours d'un moteur 86x86, qui tourne facilement à 8500 tr / min dans une application DD.
[/CITATION]

I understand, I couldn't answer these questions! However, I can simply confirm the configuration of my block at 100%;)

And as far as the map goes, of course it hasn't changed since the last dyno.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thanks for the cooooool update da_sherminator!

Much more realistic numbers for E85 and that engine setup. But there are still questions for me. The most pressing question is, why does the dyno measured power and torque curve stop at 7850 rpm. The torque still holds strong (which is not common for a RBC IM) so power would still climb. It doesn't look like a stock longblock setup with an RBC. It looks more like a stage 2 cam setup with an different IM. VTEC is pretty late for a 3" exhaust piping, but that could also be caused by the RCrew header copy. But most wondering point is why the heck the torque stands that long that high with just an stock setup and bolts on and why the curves stops when it still climbs. We still talk about a 86x86 engine, which easily revvs to 8500 rpm in a DD application.
Aren’t the hp and tq supposed to cross at 5250rpm or is that only on a wheel based dyno? The hp looks very linear on his graph am I reading correctly it’s making almost 200ft lbs on a 86x86 ?

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,266 Posts
[QUOTE = "LotusElise, post: 3312751, membre: 16822522"]
Merci pour la mise à jour cooooool da_sherminator !

Des chiffres beaucoup plus réalistes pour E85 et cette configuration de moteur. Mais il y a encore des questions pour moi. La question la plus urgente est de savoir pourquoi la courbe de puissance et de couple mesurée par le dynamomètre s'arrête à 7850 tr / min. Le couple reste fort (ce qui n'est pas courant pour un RBC IM), donc la puissance grimperait toujours. Cela ne ressemble pas à une configuration de stock long block avec un RBC. Cela ressemble plus à une configuration de caméra de niveau 2 avec un IM différent. VTEC est assez tard pour une tuyauterie d'échappement de 3 ", mais cela pourrait également être causé par la copie de l'en-tête RCrew. Mais le point le plus surprenant est de savoir pourquoi le couple est aussi long que haut avec juste une configuration d'origine et des boulons et pourquoi les courbes s'arrête quand il grimpe encore.On parle toujours d'un moteur 86x86, qui tourne facilement à 8500 tr / min dans une application DD.
[/CITATION]
My french isn't bad according a translator 😜.

I understand, I couldn't answer these questions! However, I can simply confirm the configuration of my block at 100%;)
Thanks for the hint 😉.

And as far as the map goes, of course it hasn't changed since the last dyno.
Mmmmhhh...the shape is different, you confirmed it yourself in post #1274, normally also the VE must be different. This need a hardware difference or different tune. Did you change the head hardware?

Aren’t the hp and tq supposed to cross at 5250rpm or is that only on a wheel based dyno?
The crossing engine speed is depended on the units we talk about:
  • 5255 rpm if hp and lbft (Imperial field, 1 kW = 1.34 hp)
  • 7126 rpm if hp and Nm (mix of hp based in imperial correlation of 1 kW = 1.34 hp, 1 lbft = 1.356 Nm)
  • 7021 rpm if PS and Nm (according DIN or EN Norm)
are used. One should be aware of different scales which are used here. With different scales you can have the crossing point where ever you want.

1241 - 1252 of 1252 Posts