Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1281 - 1290 of 1290 Posts

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,727 Posts
If your rbc is already ported, I honestly don’t think a stock RRC will outperform it by much if at all. The 2.2 should be enough to get you to 250 whp.
Yeah my tuner said the gain will be very minimal if at all. I'm just going to enjoy the setup for what it is right now, maybe upgrade the Cai to a 3.5 inch eventually. I'm very tempted to boost my car but it is my daily so I want to keep it reliable.
It depends on the header and intake setup. Member Lotus had an case with his 2.2 stroker engine, where the (ported) RRC IM came out less performant as the RBC IM. Here a short intake and a 4-1 header was used. When member katman tested a unported only opened 70 mm TB RRC IM it came out better almost 10 whp then the RBC (ported and unported), he used an AEM CAI which is a long intake piping with filter position in the lower bumper section. I am not sure about the details, European IP's can't reach out the superstreetonline.com article without tricks.

I think that is a good idea. 240whp in a rsx should be pretty fun, you could always make it lighter or get more traction to go faster.
Definitely.

The DC 3.5 OG series cams are short duration high lift cams, which does, depending on CR, a good job in a 86x86 engine. There was an engine tuned and built by Advanced Tuned Performance who made on a 86x86 engine, CR 12.5:1, H, E, stock head 292 flwhp/265 flwNm, which isn't bad (DynaPack). Link is lost, but I documented it here: (1) Drag Cartel 3.2's | Page 3 | Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi guys. I thought I'd share my Dyno results with everyone since I don't see many results with my setup and also to get some feedback.

The car is a 2004 Acura RSX Type S with the original k20a2 (150 000 miles approximately). The bottom end of the engine is completely stock, never been touched. The head has been built.

Mods:

-DC 2.2 Cams
-Supertech dual valve springs, seats, seals
-Supertech titanium retainers
-Arp head studs
-Fully ported RBC manifold
-Ktuned 72mm throttle body
-Injen 3 inch cold air intake
-Skunk2 alpha race header
-Ktuned 3 inch catback exhaust
-RDX Injectors
-1 step colder NGK plugs

Car was tuned on 94 with kpro v4 and made 241 whp and 166 torque. The tuner believes that the cams are able to make more power but the intake setup is restricting the air flow. I agree with him. What do you guys think of the results? Is it good power for the mods? Do you think I can break 250 pump gas with a similar setup (stock bottom end)?

My graph:

View attachment 103587
Very good power :) for the mods.
I have done 2 accords thats made similar power but with RSP heads on it. I will post their graphs in a bit with mods.

·
Registered
33 Posts

-RSP Head
-Skunk DIC Tuner series Cams
-RRC manifold
-J37 throttle body
-CP 90mm cold air intake
-Noise Boys header
-Powerflow 76 to 63 dual exit exhaust
-RDX Injectors
-AEM upgraded PUMP
-Road Tuned with Ktuner

·
Registered
33 Posts

-BC Stage 2 Cams
-Supertech dual valve springs, seats, seals
-Supertech titanium retainers
-RRC manifold
-J37 throttle body
-CP 90mm cold air intake
-Noise Boys header
-Steel Solutions 76 to 63 dual exit exhaust.This car use have a single exit 63mm that is the reason for the power difference on the overlay.
-RDX Injectors
-Road Tuned with Ktuner

Bother cars has different gearbox mods that is the reason for the speed differences in gears. Both also running max 27/28 degrees ignition and on pump stock sub assemblies.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Power is hardly raising past 7000 rpm with the BC stage 2 being a tad better in this regard-
I had the big torque bump at about 6000-6200. Your's hits earlier most likely due to the better exhaust manifold design compared to mine for a NA engine. The little bump at 6200 rpm is also visible in your graph. I would guess this is a resonance point (~4th harmonic, Markus?) of the RRC intake manifold. Mine was more pronounced likely due to the porting.

This kind of shows again that the RRC intake manifold has a focus on the mid range. Compared to the unequal length runner RBC manifold, you get more mid range, but torque increases more steeply before 6k and drops more pronounced past 6500 rpm. The RBC smooths out the torque curve trading off that 6k peak vs more torque before and after the mid range. The RBC feels much more smooth and not as flat at the top, at least on my K22. But dyno sheets posted here and elsewhere fit to that observation.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi guys,

I am preparing my future assembly following the blow of my k20 a few months ago.

K24a3 (stock) with head K20a2 (stock)
RBC ported by me / 70mm
70mm TB
3.5 "intake
Rcrew replica header
3 "inch exhaust
Dc5 fly
Lightweight crank pulley
The map will be in E85 (Very inexpensive here in France, not to mention the performance!)

I was thinking of 850cc fuel injectors but in the end I realize that 600cc ~ would be more than enough?
I'm annoyed because I usually get my injectors from Performance Fuel Injection, but they don't make 850cc anymore: /

I usually take (legit) Bosch injectors, because they are reliable and cheap, other brands are overpriced!

Thank's!

·
Registered
414 Posts
600cc/min injectors on e85 might just be enough depending on how high you rev that thing, just.
I‘d go for some ID725 or even ID1050x.
If you ever decide to forge the engine or go forced induction, you have a litte headroom the the latter.

PS time I can get my superethanol in France again. I live near the border, but getting fuel is not worth the trouble in the moment due to Covid restrictions. I run in my Prius since 2013 and also in my K20 Elise.

·
Registered
414 Posts
running big injectors on a single bank requires carefully matched injectors to pass emissions testing at idle and low duty cycles.
If this is of no concern to you, use whatever injector you think is suitable. Remember to set-up the voltage dependent dead times in the ECU for these injectors.

I have not found original data from Siemens so far, but only this:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks again for the reply!

I still see that all this is very technical and does not depend only on cubage / cc and impedance!

I just found a US seller offering the Bosch (Legit) 1000cc at a very good price, I will choose reliability!

1281 - 1290 of 1290 Posts