Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1321 - 1340 of 1392 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
my k22 with CNC ported RRC had essentially flat power from 7500 onwards.
The drop you observe is rather steep and not expected, even with an RRC. I am with you on that.
A simple exhaust or intake restriction would also rather lead to a flat power curve and not it falling off a cliff.
If the 4-1 would have very short primaries, it could lead to to negative resonance effects. But ASP usually know what they are doing.

Any odd VTC settings on the high cam? CAM vs CAMCMD OK?
Any chance of one of the rockers not being set-up correctly and not switching over to the high cam?

I think you need a data log of such a run to figure this one out.
The set-up itself should carry on building power, albeit not as steep as it raises at 6.5k, to like 280 or so HP with the torque curve gradually decreasing.

Serious wheel slip?

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,202 Posts
Thank you. Happy to see this forum still has some life.
Yeah, we have some great supporters here which continuously keep traffic and knowledge at a good level and invest free time and knowhow here for those with K-series issues. I see more and more guys, which couldn't get help at the FB groups, coming here asking for help. K20a.org is still the reference community in K-series stuff beside professional companies getting things forward for all kind of K-series issues. The traffic density is lowered to 2013, which is my reference year and my first year here. Social media plattform's leaked members as quick answers are more easy to get there and for some other reasons. But the hard and complex stuff of issues still finds it way here 🆙.

It is good to see you back here!

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,202 Posts
Here are some teaser pics of the engine bay currently:
Ah, very nice, you still have that RRC which you modified with the angle grinder and some other tools. How do you like the lower neck filler pot of the coolant outlet? Is it big enough to give the coolant circuit enough play to work cold and heated?

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,334 Posts
Mid engine Beetle Stock K20z3 3" CAI with stock exhaust manifold 170whp 144 torque
View attachment 106911
cool build. invest in a proper header and you will see decent gains throughout the entire power curve, large mid-range gains and top end gains.

how many miles are on this K20z3 engine?

·
Registered
6 Posts
cool build. invest in a proper header and you will see decent gains throughout the entire power curve, large mid-range gains and top end gains.

Header is with UPS on its way a few days ago already. 70k on engine. This dyno reads low. completely stock K20a2 with CAI/H/Ex usually are no more than 205whp.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,202 Posts
Mid engine Beetle Stock K20z3 3" CAI with stock exhaust manifold 170whp 144 torque
Wow, I would love to see more details about your K-swapped Beetle built. Would you share the calibration and last WOT log with us? I see some indicators in the dyno sheet showing maybe some performance within the actual setup is still unleashed.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,334 Posts

Header is with UPS on its way a few days ago already. 70k on engine. This dyno reads low. completely stock K20a2 with CAI/H/Ex usually are no more than 205whp.
indeed. I have witnessed many K20a2's with bolt-ons make around 200-210whp depending on the dyno. The Dynapack 3000 I have tuned on since 2005 reads low as well and the baseline's on it with bolt-ons barely break 200whp on it. I was not saying your numbers are too low.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dont have a log of the Dyno pulls. Tuner said I should take out the VTC solenoid and make sure the screens are clean, as the cam timing seemed lazy responding so he didnt put any more than 22 degrees VTC into it, and I need a different header if I wanted to make some power. I wanted to run 1 year like this, then put on a turbo and get into the 9s so this is the reason for using the stock exhaust manifold to make it all fit which fit great, but the efficiency is bugging me so a Ktuned header is on its way.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Hood Vehicle Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Some charts where serge header rips pln. Green is pln, red is serge header and white is with moded (shaved) stock air box to 84mm with v.stack +kn drop in. Thats 8 second reduction from 100-200kmh accel.
First graf is final mods with added lines in paint from 3rd and 4th picture, 2nd pic is stock car, 5th pic is white line on first graph just in a printout form
And last one is all on one graph with tq curves added in paint lol.

Red HP- Stock
Black TQ- Stock
Green HP- pln
Green TQ-pln
Blue HP- serge 421
Blue TQ - Serge 421
Black HP - Final
Read TQ- Final

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Next mods are, swap from 225-45-17 / 20kg to 205-55-16 / 15.5kg wheels. Porting TB, 63mm single exhaust, and intake manifold, prob gonna make diy I.M. out of rbb parts. Idea is to have design like GE manifold, 2000-2300cc plenum with V.stacks and 200 - 220mm runners.

PS. If anybody wants to do this mod to tsx or cl9 stock box ill send you file for 3d printing for free. This thing just works better than anything shown on market and costs 30-50 bucks to print.

Attachments

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,202 Posts
Some charts where serge header rips pln. Green is pln, red is serge header and white is with moded (shaved) stock air box to 84mm with v.stack +kn drop in. Thats 8 second reduction from 100-200kmh accel.
Nice results, thanks for sharing it.

What is the base engine? A K24A3 or K24Z3.
What does pln mean?
What are the bolt on mods?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its k24a3
plm (i made a typo) is header make for k2x engines that people shouldn't buy. Serge pulling up to 10hp more than plm at 6000-6500 top end and Im pulling 20 hp on it with ram air.
Mods are serge header, cat removed and intake mod with drop in kn filter with ram air ducting. Ram Air is the trick here. When I close ram intake car is a bit over 1sec slower from 100-200kmh vs when its open. It makes bigger difference when going 160+. Dyno was made with open intake so its adding around 15hp when going at speed. Dont know what air speed is simulated on BaPro dyno, I hear its like driving at 150kmh.
Prob gonna redesign it to have 100mm opening tapering down to 90mm to catch more air and test again.
Car did 16.6 sec 100-200 and my friends cl9 typeS goes even faster with same mods because typeS is lighter than Exe model and has better aero and is lowered.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,334 Posts
Cool intake concept using the oem airbox. Which oem airbox is that?

I have been playing around with a CRZ intake assembly and a 08 Civic SI airbox for a street intake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its stock cl box, same like on TSX. There is interesting article on Vararam that shows how much difference 1psi of ram air makes on power. Only downside is when wet season comes I need to block it off so I loose gains that it gives at over 140kmh.

1321 - 1340 of 1392 Posts