Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
92 EG k24z3 swap
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I'm at the point in my swap where Im trying to swap connections over from the z3 to a base RSX harness( injectors and ignition coil plugs differ), and Im looking for some pinout info on the Z3 ignition coils.

Does anyone know if they are pinned differently from each other?

The colors of wire are similar on each harness, but Id like to not assume

Thanks in advance!

Registered
92 EG k24z3 swap
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if the connectors are the same, the pin out is also the same.
I believe they have different connectors
I guess I need to source a multi-meter to double back and check on my harness work,
as I dont believe its getting spark (checking with a screwdriver).

This should be the final puzzle I have to play in order to get this thing to start.

Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
I believe they have different connectors
Really? Even the F20C1 engine of the S2000 runs the same ignition coil since 2002 (part number 30520-PCX-007). Totally interchangeable. The part number of the FN2 (K20Z4, which compares best to the Z3 engine) engine is 30520-RRA-007 (successor of 30520-PNA-007, 30520-RAA-007), they also fit to the K20A2, A3, A4 and A6. Why they would not fit an Z3 engine, just see the part number structure?

Registered
92 EG k24z3 swap
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really? Even the F20C1 engine of the S2000 runs the same ignition coil since 2002 (part number 30520-PCX-007). Totally interchangeable. The part number of the FN2 (K20Z4, which compares best to the Z3 engine) engine is 30520-RRA-007 (successor of 30520-PNA-007, 30520-RAA-007), they also fit to the K20A2, A3, A4 and A6. Why they would not fit an Z3 engine, just see the part number structure?
馃槀 holy hell your knowledge never ceases to amaze. Thank you for clearing that up.

I was looking at this page to better my understanding of how the coils are pinned

At this point, I鈥檓 just working backwards from the coil trying to figure out what鈥檚 missing.

With multi meter attached to the negative battery terminal, I probed the injector plug. Nothing. (I saw -1 on the left) no spark with a screwdriver either.

I need to check my wiring harness connections and continuity

I was really hoping to hear my EG start up before I left for 馃嚛馃嚜 Germany today

Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
holy hell your knowledge never ceases to amaze. Thank you for clearing that up.
I just felt over it accidently during my search for alternative ignition coils. The pricing of those is pretty much different and there are, some attention is needed here, the difference of the Z4/Z3 coils to the A2 is, they have a lower inductivity. If all are the same, no issue, you can adapt the load time for them in the dwell time map. I am not totally sure if this is a general rule, I just observed this by a single batch of 4 pieces new ones which I compared to 4 old ones, which were from the A2 engine.

I need to check my wiring harness connections and continuity
Yeah, ping it from connector to connector (resistance).

I was really hoping to hear my EG start up before I left for 馃嚛馃嚜 Germany today
Oh, where will you be localized here in Germany if you not mind to share?

Registered
92 EG k24z3 swap
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just felt over it accidently during my search for alternative ignition coils. The pricing of those is pretty much different and there are, some attention is needed here, the difference of the Z4/Z3 coils to the A2 is, they have a lower inductivity. If all are the same, no issue, you can adapt the load time for them in the dwell time map. I am not totally sure if this is a general rule, I just observed this by a single batch of 4 pieces new ones which I compared to 4 old ones, which were from the A2 engine.

Yeah, ping it from connector to connector (resistance).

Oh, where will you be localized here in Germany if you not mind to share?
Servus

I was in Wertheim, but I didnt see your message until today :/

You and another Lotus weren't driving in Luxemburg this last Sunday by chance?

If you dont mind me asking, how did you get into Hondas? Theyre so few in Germany.

Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
You and another Lotus weren't driving in Luxemburg this last Sunday by chance?
The world is small, but seems to have still a significant size. For me no, I wasn't. I was out with my family hiking.

If you dont mind me asking, how did you get into Hondas? Theyre so few in Germany.
Yeap, but still more then here at K20a.org. The Honda forums of Maxrev.de and Hondapower.de has much more visitors per day then K20a.org. The B-series scene is still strong. The K-series scene is a bit underdeveloped compared to other countries. Here the 3rd and 4th Generation Chassis have a bigger popularity. But yes, while Honda was popular and since 50 years a constant part of the US automobile history, here Honda always played a side role compared to Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Opel/GM and some French brands. Recently more and more Honda dealers give up here.

I bought a Lotus Elise 2012 with an Honda K-series engine, I didn't know what that meant. It droves awfully, so I had to do investigate how to solve it. I learned to tune the ECU and to know what engine I have there by doing some K-series reading in the internet. I found K20a.org in 2013 and I felt immediately in love with the idea to develop an engine setup based on the harmonics of pressure waves Joe McCarthy was talking about. I developed some tools to calculate this. Run by my programming passion I developed a 1D simulation tool to investigate this. Since then I have tuned Honda K-series and other engines in all continents in all kind of setups on places I never was, temperatures from -25 掳C up to 45 掳C, from sea level up to 2300 m altitude, from NA till 4,5 bar boost, all remote. I've developed the DAMPFHAMMER technology and built it. I was kicked out of my mountain biking hobby due to knee cartridge issues and found this. Last but not least the Honda K-series is one of the best I4 engine basis around. That's because.

BTW, there is a Honda meet in the middle of Germany, not far from Wertheim, see here: HP22 - 14.7.22 - 17.7.22 im Werratal / Hessische Schweiz - 20th Anniversary (hondapower.de).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts