Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1041 - 1060 of 1091 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,660 Posts
Oh the insight is 100% purpose built for good mpg. It's as basic as can be in terms of a car. I did remove the hybrid side of things like the battery pack and factory dc to DC converter and the hybrid ecus. So it freed up a sizeable amount of cargo space but in the hills around Pittsburgh the maybe 50hp and lack of electric assist is sorely felt. Sometimes dangerously underpowered. I do have the 8th gen civic sedan for a little more speed. The wife is finally happy in her lightly used x166 chassis gl Mercedes, so that takes care of any sizeable hauling we may have to do so I can put to work in the insight.

We figured the math out to about 50 USD more a month in gasoline costs. To me that's the same as just staying home and cooking instead of going out to dinner once or twice a month.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,042 ·
We figured the math out to about 50 USD more a month in gasoline costs. To me that's the same as just staying home and cooking instead of going out to dinner once or twice a month.
Not only energy costs increases here. Consumer inflation is actually at a 5.1 % level, which is very high level compared to the last 30 years. The last time it touched the 5 % was 2 years after the reunion of the two states the former BRD and the DDR to todays Germany. The dangerous facts we see are manifold:
  • actually is the European Central Bank is not adapting the interests (increasing) to shelter the states in the south of Europe, which would fall into very high interest costs.
  • lack of raw material like computer chips, steel, goods from other countries will increase further prices as the demand will not get reduced. That means companies can't provide products in the amount they are demanded also in short and mid term future (e.g. 5 years)
  • product chains are brocken and did not recover as many experts forecasted it. More time for that is needed, so costs for delivery from other countries is still on a high price level, e.g. Container ship prices are around 6 times higher then compared to 2020
  • ...there are further points, indicating this is not an unexpected maximum. The central banks have a different agenda beside price policy, even the European which has only one priority per Maastrich Contract, the price balance in the Euro-Area.These are illegal habits by the ECB which were developed the last 10 years here in Europe. Now they even found a rabbit hole for more credit financing, the Pandemic-Rescue-Credit of around 750 Billion Euro. This is an illegal bypass by the ECB, the money is stamped as credit and each of the European states guarantees the backpay rate in total. This bypasses each states Maastrich contract requirement, e.g. the state dept amount has to be lower than 60 % of the GDP. We exceed that limit since years, some states are far over 100 %. Actually the ECB increased the 1.5 % goal to 2.0 % inflation rate aim. The ECB gets to one of the most powerful institution here in Europe, the set facts and politics in each state here in Europe has to react to follow the Maastrich rules. If they don't increase the interest rate to control prices, the EURO will fall and other countries will sell their Euros which increase the value decrease of the Euro.
I see the situation quite critical. That the central banks don't act accordingly and stamp more and more money to supply credits and refinancing is not only what we have learned about Currency Management, this is a very dangerous way of controlling the price and liquidity. For me the 5 % inflation is just a beginning of a mild or more intense inflation in the future. The DAMPFHAMMER HD is one of my investments in goods, stock exchanges and other stuff before the value of the Euro get cut more and more.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,043 ·
DAMPFHAMMER HD-project:
Yesterday I measured several valve seat geometries, which takes much of an effort when they are still installed. I was pretty impressed about what Honda does here in fabrication, not only at the seat ring, also on the casted part. That's amazing fabrication technology for huge series. You won't see this on any VAG, Daimler, Audi engine. Maybe BMW M port, but I didn't see them yet, just the 4-stroke RR1200 engine, which has an really nice fabricated port.

They also did amazing stuff on their NA V10 engine (P85) for the Formula 1, which was their latest V10 and most powerful V10 among the competitiors, almost 1000 hp out of 3 liter displacement, almost 330 hp/Liter but "only" 120 Nm/Liter, which is 14 % (140 Nm/Liter) lower then what the DAMPFHAMMER engine put on the flywheel at peak torque. Anyway, their valve seat design was totally different, like from another star, only done to achieve maximal [email protected],800 rpm, like the engine speed redline, which is over 2 times higher as the DAMPFHAMMER, giving a totally different engine, hard to compare, but interesting, as it made 2.13 times more power. The DAMPFHAMMER HD will lower this :D.

We also carried the longblock and the additional material into shelf. The trunk of my car was a bit oiled. I came home late and cleaned the intermediat bottom till half past 10 pm. Note to myself, don't transport dry'd longblocks without a oil catch case on the bottom. They are not oil free at all.

I also measured the exhaust port of the PCX-1 head (with secondary air supply bore), after we cleaned it finally from soot and carbon. Differently to the K-series all 4 exhaust ports are bend, not only #1 and #4, so to say equalizing them regarding flow behavior. That head was another surprise, the exhaust port doesn't flow better at 13 mm then the RSP head, but what it does below is astonishing. Actually we flow the exhaust port in the wrong direction, just to get comparable data with other measurements. Done right flow bench flow direction matches the operational flow direction, which is a different world, as the valve design get a much higher attention.

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

I already began the investigation of the seat and port design, cut the replica of the ports for comparison of cross section over port length and and velocity, which is very important for the port design and valve-throat-ratio. Honda did amazing work here, I am so impressed about the comparison graph. It will get hard to increase flow at the same efficiency. I am a bit nervous about that as their is no simple potential to lift, it need more understanding to find potentials. I saw already a few in the velocity over port length development.

Quarter-Mile-project:
My buddy started yesterday cutting the pipe for the header for the turbo exhaust and to point weld the final pipe assembly of #4 and #2.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,098 Posts
Man I love reading this thread there is so much to learn, thank you for putting the time in with this work and sharing with us all. I have always wanted more information on the PCX ports. When I tool my head off I also cleaned the exhaust ports back to new again, I remember weighting the soot on the exhaust valves removed each being on average 1.3g - one of them had 1.9g. Further into the exhaust ports that stuff really does build up leaving power & VE on the table.

I have been using the same valvespring tool you are using, using the correct tool is smarter. Those tools have a tendency to wear out the integrity of the threads creating a questionable install on the rockers / cam holders. I am being particular here about this, it is nothing to re-tap the threads but having flange blot failures is not smart at any rpm. Honda did not design the thread depth & pitch to warrant to be used more than 2-3 times max. From experience the flange bolts for the cam holders & rocker arms bend and warp, I replaced all 20 of mine. This maybe going overboard and may sound like a "hype part idea", but I would buy hard collars for this application to keep the top of the bolt from wondering around like they tend to do.

I always believed the the F20C1 sounded more like a bike engine because of how those flowbench charts look lol... My buddy had a F20C1 with header and Indivia exhaust and it sounded much different than a K. The JDM version is what 250HP? Then there is a Mugen version too like the K has the Mugen RR engine.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,045 ·
I have always wanted more information on the PCX ports.
Enough for the moment ;).

using the correct tool is smarter.
Which one would you recommend?

I always believed the the F20C1 sounded more like a bike engine because of how those flowbench charts look lol... My buddy had a F20C1 with header and Indivia exhaust and it sounded much different than a K. The JDM version is what 250HP?
The sound is a result of frequency and noise spectra as well as the firing order. The DAMPFHAMMER sounds much different to any of my customer engines, but all those are K-series engines. As the ports are almost stock, we can ensure the alternation of load parts before and beyond the head as well as the engine speed redline creates that nice motor cycle sound. The DAMPFHAMMER still does not sound like a BMW 1000 RR or a Ducati Monster 1200. Much of the sound also depends on firing order, compare a Ferrari V8 (cross plane crankshaft) vs a GM small block V8 (flat plane crankshaft). Our playground is near to a street connecting the Autobahn A8 in the south and the way to AMG headquarter, a lot of flat plane cranks pass that corner, pushing the air around so that you can feel it :D. This is just because AMG also used the flat plane crank (cheaper to produce, better low speed torque) but actually they shifted for some reason (better high speed torque, better emissions) to the cross plane V8 crankshaft.

Yeap, the JDM F20C1 made 250 hp at flywheel, giving it a world record on the NA planet of 125 hp/Liter for years until Ferrari fought it back.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,554 Posts
My best buddy asked me to serve here some pictures of his sacred halls.
View attachment 107571
The tranny disassembly and assembly corner, including all kind of cleaning treatment. Last week his new particle-water-jet-box came, which do an awesome job.
View attachment 107573
Here some really nice engines (right a rallye engine spec'd to 800 Nm/500 hp), somewhere our 1200 hp drag engine, friction plates for VAG double clutch stuff up to far over 1000 Nm capability...
View attachment 107572
The universal work space, welding, cutting, bore, valve and valve seat cutting and grinding, cleaning, ...
View attachment 107574
The car corner, with two lifters to disassembly and assembly the trannies and engines for repair. Full diagnosis stations for analyse and other adjustments...
View attachment 107575
The shelf section for flat six, V10, I4 and all kind of engines, which are not directly in an actual process as well as tranny stuff, from oil to parts or complete trannies.
View attachment 107576
Here are the master mind tables for his genius tranny repairs, from stuff from ages like the one you see up to modern DCT stuff including a station to check electronically and hydraulically the shift mechanism. Lately he did a DCT for a drag powertrain with customized friction plate setup for at least 1200+ Nm (885+ ftlb).
View attachment 107577
More modern stuff, one of these monster DCT's for disassembly, analyse, repair or exchange of parts.

I really like his workshop, it's a clean and proper work place, where we do most of the practical part of our built's. The flow bench and the dyno room for engines are also there as well as the place for the 1200 hp drag chassis, where we work on these days too.

We know us since 2019, since that time we created a lot of good things together. We are an inspiring synthesis of two engine minds with a lot of different talents and a vision of highly sophisticated NA (FI exceptions accepted) engines as a vision for the racing market.
What an amazing workshop ! I love the van on the lift 😅

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,098 Posts
Which one would you recommend?
I would recommend this OEM tool - PN# 07757- PJ1010A
That tool is discontinued though. The tool has to suited for the Kseries head as they are not as thick as the B-series. Most OEM parts dealers sell the replacement online for the later years of the Kseries heads.

Font Parallel Motor vehicle Engineering Pattern

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,048 ·
I love the van on the lift 😅
VW T3, Diesel engine. Nice driving, had one at military service, RWD and a rear engine concept makes a lot of fun in winter, beside the 70 hp turbo-Diesel engine is not the one they use today for drift racing, I guess. This one has an AWD. They are very very famous here in Germany, so to say legendary. About 35 years old, you still pay 20-90 k€, around 10 k€ for almost scrap ready chassis. My buddy built one or two a year for customers, he has an heart for everything with AWD and especially for T-class van's with AWD :D.

OEM tool - PN# 07757- PJ1010A
Thanks for the hint. May I have to clarify something. We use this tool mainly for lifting the valve on two like 5 psi springs: easy to install the valve and spring just by hand. With that we adjust the lift for our flow bench work.

·
Premium Member
10,660 Posts
Would something like THIS work for what you need? I'm guessing that the coarse pitch of threads would not be nearly fine enough.

Edit: you could also make a bolt with a smaller and much fiber thread pitch inside of the larger bolt since the spring is only about 5 pounds.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,050 ·
Would something like THIS work for what you need?
Sorry @drtye the link was cut maybe by the anti-spam-SW of the Forum. Do you have a picture or another link, which is less suspicious for the anti-spam SW?

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,098 Posts
Thanks for the hint. May I have to clarify something. We use this tool mainly for lifting the valve on two like 5 psi springs: easy to install the valve and spring just by hand. With that we adjust the lift for our flow bench work.
Guten Morgen Markus,

Ich verstehe, was du sagst und Das von Ihnen verwendete Tool scheint für die Aufgabe geeignet zu sein. Da Sie das Ventil nur für Messungen drücken und etwas haben müssen, das auf die Durchflussbank passt.

In my opinion the threads we are talking about are not made to be serviced or worked on that much. The tool you are now using is seems to be the best one for the job on the flow bench.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,054 ·
Some good news aside:
Tjaart Visser, an engineer and race enthusiast from Gauteng, South Africa and customer of mine won the first Clubman Race of this year. Congratulations Tjaart! The race car is a simple built with a lot of well chosen parts and designs. The race engine is a stock-near longblock with some nice bolts on, giving it a nice and smooth as well as responsive torque. That simple but fine approach gaves Tjaart the time to find out the pro's and con's of the chassis and suspension. From Season 2019 to 2022 (almost no race in 2020 and none in 2021) he improved the ride that much, so the engine now can follow the driver skills and will as well as the performance of the suspension and chassis.

Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Tjaart teaches a WRX race car how to handle a well powered AWD race car with just an K-swapped B-chassis race car :D. Look the line he is choosing to overtake that Subaru...

Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

...only brave and confident races show their art like this. Tjaart is one of them!

Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Vehicle Wheel Car Tire Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

A very nice car, and I am a bit proud of being one of the supporters (drivetrain development and tuning here) and sponsors of it (Raindl Motorsport). For those who want to read more about Tjaart Visser and his race car, you can follow his news path on Victor Balladovich - A budget race car – Posts | Facebook.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,098 Posts
Some good news aside:
Tjaart Visser, an engineer and race enthusiast from Gauteng, South Africa and customer of mine won the first Clubman Race of this year. Congratulations Tjaart! The race car is a simple built with a lot of well chosen parts and designs. The race engine is a stock-near longblock with some nice bolts on, giving it a nice and smooth as well as responsive torque. That simple but fine approach gaves Tjaart the time to find out the pro's and con's of the chassis and suspension. From Season 2019 to 2022 (almost no race in 2020 and none in 2021) he improved the ride that much, so the engine now can follow the driver skills and will as well as the performance of the suspension and chassis.

View attachment 107933

Tjaart teaches a WRX race car how to handle a well powered AWD race car with just an K-swapped B-chassis race car :D. Look the line he is choosing to overtake that Subaru...

View attachment 107934

...only brave and confident races show their art like this. Tjaart is one of them!

View attachment 107935

View attachment 107937

View attachment 107938

View attachment 107939

A very nice car, and I am a bit proud of being one of the supporters (drivetrain development and tuning here) and sponsors of it (Raindl Motorsport). For those who want to read more about Tjaart Visser and his race car, you can follow his news path on Victor Balladovich - A budget race car – Posts | Facebook.
this seems to be one of the typical passing corners from what I gathered from the other photos I saw on facebook. It is nice to see a four door racing.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,056 ·
It is nice to see a four door racing.
Yeap, more weight and a higher air drag. We have a saying here in Germany: "Nur die Harten kommen in Garten!" which means roughly translated "only the strongest survive" just without the side note of it's origin, which is the gardening. There only the strongest plants survive the heat, wind, cold, which sums up to that saying. Anyway, you may see less Honda hatches in South Africa, the four door chassis are quite common there.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,057 ·
DAMPFHAMMER HD-project:
Buying the Magneti Marelli injectors IWP 189 was a mistake. One of them has an defective squirt pattern and the others deviate pretty much, would need more for an match process.

I've wrote a complain request to Desmo-Racing, I bought those from. I hope they support me with a replacement, because if I run those like this in my engine, it would run too lean on 3 cylinders. While I leave that process on Desmo-Racing I will go also another route and source some solid BOSCH injectors. Development of those is located just a few miles from my house. I may contact the right guy there for better support. Anyway, I have a specific set in mind.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
too bad. Spray on the OKish one looks fine and the pattern is wide. The most right one seems to not open completely or is internally blocked as I see this the only way for a 12 hole injector to "piss" fuel that way.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,059 ·
Spray on the OKish one looks fine and the pattern is wide. The most right one seems to not open completely or is internally blocked as I see this the only way for a 12 hole injector to "piss" fuel that way.
Yeap, there might be a blocker before the nozzle of the right hand sider, as outside it looks similar to all others. Yes, the spray pattern is fine for a 65 Euro injector, which is normally sold for 160-180 Euro/injector. Maybe Desmo-Racing has collected some B-batches to lower their prizing?! Time to switch over to BOSCH. We tested also some BOSCH 1000 ccm injectors for our 1200 hp drag engine, which were within 2,5 % deviation out of the package of a batch of 4. That's a world of difference. Anyway, this fuel injector test bench is a very good and necessary tool!

·
Premium Member
10,660 Posts
There are days where I'm jealous of your local companies. For example just a few miles away from Bosch. That's wild. There is a Bosch office down by the strip district here in Pittsburgh.

Injector test can't be more cut and dry. Clearly underperforming.

1041 - 1060 of 1091 Posts