Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
841 - 860 of 891 Posts

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #841 ·
Not much new stuff. We working on the mobile flowbench

Which is almost ready to flow cylinder heads. We will implement the automated control software in an built-in mini-PC, finish the harness and calibration. Then we get this thing run. Beside that the we concentrate next on the controller side of the engine brakes.

Our DIY fully integrated operation panel with two flat screens and two control and power moduls for the two Schenk engine dynos. Looks like I can meet Lieutnant Uhura there πŸ˜„.

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #843 ·
Thanks drtye! My buddy found yesterday a new Schenk DS750-2E (Limits of measurement: 1020 hp and 15,000 rpm, safe continuous rotation 18,000 rpm). Our dream engine dyno from Schenk. It was never used, cost incl. controller and power module and some features 36 k€. We both said, we have to talk with that guy, maybe he is willing to deal. Too expensive for us.

Schenk DS750-2e

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #844 ·
News:
Did install the cylinder pressure indication analysis and logging software yesterday, about 2.4 GB of data. This took me about 4 h in total. The preparation effort on the windows was huge, but it works now. There is a lot more to do, I have to learn now the analysis Software functions and the handling of it. I've plugged in cylinder pressure indication spark plug one and logged it. Nothing spectacular, but I got a voltage signal of about 0.54 V at atmospheric conditions.

I actually develop a K24 IM which peaks at 8500 rpm based on the natural boost technology of my DAMPHAMMER IM. It is specified to work optimal for 87 to 88 mm bores and a 99 mm stroke. I am looking forward to get into the 3D phase to get it shaped to clarify fabrication costs.

Β·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,432 Posts
News:
Did install the cylinder pressure indication analysis and logging software yesterday, about 2.4 GB of data. This took me about 4 h in total. The preparation effort on the windows was huge, but it works now. There is a lot more to do, I have to learn now the analysis Software functions and the handling of it. I've plugged in cylinder pressure indication spark plug one and logged it. Nothing spectacular, but I got a voltage signal of about 0.54 V at atmospheric conditions.

I actually develop a K24 IM which peaks at 8500 rpm based on the natural boost technology of my DAMPHAMMER IM. It is specified to work optimal for 87 to 88 mm bores and a 99 mm stroke. I am looking forward to get into the 3D phase to get it shaped to clarify fabrication costs.
Is the custom intake manifold you are developing similar to the red one on the dampfhammer? Or a totally different style ? Would be cool to have a one of a kind intake πŸ‘

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #846 ·
Is the custom intake manifold you are developing similar to the red one on the dampfhammer? Or a totally different style ? Would be cool to have a one of a kind intake πŸ‘
Same style regarding design with some clearance improvements regarding OEM fitment (s. my comment on your thread).

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #847 ·
Simulation news:
  • Black line - measured torque and power of a 87.5x99 engine, modified RRC, H, CAI, E, 12.5:1 CR and TODA A3 = RRC setup
  • Red line - simulated torque and power of the above mentioned engine (RRC setup)
  • Green line - simulated torque and power of the above mentioned engine except the IM, which is a VE enhancer design, similar to the DAMPFHAMMER IM design
Resolution of all curves: 500 rpm - means one point every 500 rpm, points are connected via lines for each line

News from the engine dyno
We installed yesterday the Schenk E-throttle control actuator, which is from 1987 and can be visualized as an electrificated replacement of the food on the pedal. It runs the TB from closed to WOT in less then 100 ms and adjusts between 0 and 90Β° within 1 % error in 250 ms. All the harness were integrated in cable ducts on the wall to have a almost cable free environment. It took us about 3 h to install it and we put another 4 h into it to analyse why it's not running as controlled. Postponed to Saturday.

Today the wheel chairs came for the test bench operators. Wow, now I can take a rest on them when thinking about next steps...LOL :D.

Β·
Registered
508 Posts
time to dyno that IM over the entire rev band :)
Looking forward to the result.

The modified RRC torque and power band feels very familiar to my former CNC ported RRC intake. Big torque peak 6000-6500 rpm and from there a steady drop. Peak power at 8000 with little HP gains from 7000 onwards.
It might be faster overall, but the RBC felt better with a more harmonic torque curve over the rev band and a more steady climb of power to the red line.

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #849 ·
Definitely Lotus! The DIY but professional engine dyno project is a huge one. Today we solved the issue with the remote control of the fully closed loop remote TB cable control from Schenk. One step further. Next, we will visit a dyno owner who have the DS750-2E (unused, condition like new), which is a Formula 1 engine dyno (15,000 rpm, 750 kW). That is a huge invest, we want to negotiate and of course to speak with that guy about his background :). After that we will connect the Schenk E2-180 or WS260 engine dyno to the load and engine speed controller.

We spoke about the fabrication of the IM. We choose for a alu-carbon fibre-material mixture and an modular design to adapt different applications more easily. Runners will be done in 3D CAD and 3D printed form for the vacuum mold process. I will start this in parallel, want to have one IM in summer in my hand.

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #850 ·
Update engine dyno room:
We settled both engine dyno's on their trusses, fully decoupled. The trusses of the water cooled brakes itself stand on a hard rubber plane of 15 mm thickness. We discussed their final position based on the added trusses for the engine bracket, you can see in front of the dyno brake itself. We will move both to increase the lateral distance for more exhaust pipe clearance.

The little 4 wheeler between the two engine benches is our fully integrated electronic controlled cable wire throttle control. It pulls in 0.1 s the throttle from 0 to 100 % and in 0.2 s in any position in between with an accuracy of 1 %. Pulls with 80 N...don't come in between of its food and her teeth πŸ˜….

We build another bracket for the water pump which runs the cooler circuit for the dyno brake out of BOSCH Alu profiles, see the pump right hand sided to the smaller dyno brake (Schenk E2-180). The pump itself stands on 4 hard rubber pillars to dampen the trusses vibration and to decouple the pump from it.πŸ˜…

We should bring this to a series πŸ˜‰. This is engineering of the next level πŸ˜…. The other one will likely built again (see left hand sided to the E2-180, not mounted yet) as the trusses of the Schenk WS260 are placed more below the bench frame, as well as the cooling outlet demands a bracket of a bigger size. We will use that bracket for the engine cooling pump, which will be placed below the heat exchanger, which is fixed at the wall.

I was actually placing the trusses dampers on the trusse in the near of the maybe 700 kg bench. Not working below it, seemed to be more safe πŸ˜‰.

Β·
Premium Member
Quantum GP700
771 Posts
That's a huge project both in cost and time. Congratulations on your bravery. Building my Dynapack setup was big enough. What is the sound absorption panels on the walls?

Β·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,432 Posts
Update engine dyno room:
We settled both engine dyno's on their trusses, fully decoupled. The trusses of the water cooled brakes itself stand on a hard rubber plane of 15 mm thickness. We discussed their final position based on the added trusses for the engine bracket, you can see in front of the dyno brake itself. We will move both to increase the lateral distance for more exhaust pipe clearance.

The little 4 wheeler between the two engine benches is our fully integrated electronic controlled cable wire throttle control. It pulls in 0.1 s the throttle from 0 to 100 % and in 0.2 s in any position in between with an accuracy of 1 %. Pulls with 80 N...don't come in between of its food and her teeth πŸ˜….

View attachment 103599

We build another bracket for the water pump which runs the cooler circuit for the dyno brake out of BOSCH Alu profiles, see the pump right hand sided to the smaller dyno brake (Schenk E2-180). The pump itself stands on 4 hard rubber pillars to dampen the trusses vibration and to decouple the pump from it.πŸ˜…

View attachment 103600

We should bring this to a series πŸ˜‰. This is engineering of the next level πŸ˜…. The other one will likely built again (see left hand sided to the E2-180, not mounted yet) as the trusses of the Schenk WS260 are placed more below the bench frame, as well as the cooling outlet demands a bracket of a bigger size. We will use that bracket for the engine cooling pump, which will be placed below the heat exchanger, which is fixed at the wall.

View attachment 103601

I was actually placing the trusses dampers on the trusse in the near of the maybe 700 kg bench. Not working below it, seemed to be more safe πŸ˜‰.

View attachment 103602
Looks like some complex machinery. The engine room looks very nice πŸ‘

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #853 ·
That's a huge project both in cost and time. Congratulations on your bravery. Building my Dynapack setup was big enough. What is the sound absorption panels on the walls?
Thanks, I appreciate this very much jaydee. My buddy should get the thank, he is keeping the finance alive. We used foam plates, consisting out of small pyramid's (400 x 400 mm width of of one plate), which have a sticker surface on the backside. The foam plates were tiled like tiles on the wall, beginning with a horizontal line over all walls. From there I tiled them up and down and sideways. As a product example please find the link: Basotect pyramid foam material producers (panasorb.eu).

Does Dynapack have a water brake or does it have a eddy current brake technology? Both Schenks we have are water cooled eddy current brakes.

Looks like some complex machinery. The engine room looks very nice πŸ‘
It is a eddy current style E-Machine which is water cooled and have a force measuring cell with an leverage and a speed sensor. The complex stuff is the control of it. We have to dive into that old 19" rack controllers, 100's of pages of information for one controller. We have 3 of them: E2-180 brake, WS260 brake, E-throttle four-wheeler, that little tiny racker...I like that four-wheeler, it will control our engines and we will just to have to rotate a knob on the other side of the armored screen window.

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #855 ·
I believe that dynapack uses an eddy current water cooled
According Dynapack they use adjustable hydraulic pumps.

DYNAPACK website said:
...The hubs of the vehicle are directly attached to hydraulic pumps. We can apply a variable but precise load with all of the potential holding power that hydraulics possess. Simultaneously, we are monitoring pressures and measuring hub RPM, so we can determine the amount of work being performed. It sounds easy until you realize that all of these calculations are very complex and are happening very quickly...

Β·
Premium Member
10,564 Posts
According Dynapack they use adjustable hydraulic pumps.
You are correct, I did pull from the last excerpt of the benefits page on their website...

Our Dynapack controls the car! We control the axle speed and rate of acceleration at all times, it allows you to see exactly what the vehicle is doing at any given point in time and RPM of the completed run. Because we aren’t limited by the capabilities of eddy current brakes and similar devices, we open up a whole new world of tuning possibilities. Times change and technology evolves. What was once β€œindustry standard” is now yesterday’s technology.
I knew I remembered seeing it on their website somewhere..... 🀦

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #858 ·
You might find this interesting from Gale banks :)
That is almost OEM level what Gale Banks does. The AVL water brake is amazing, cost more then all we've put in material and effort into our engine dyno room. That's the negative of the water absorber technique, you need to ensure all time a minimum water pressure, which can be done easily by lifting a huge tank onto the roof of the building to have a natural gravity driven pressure on the absorber. Our engine dyno room isn't prepared for a water absorber system. We have to stick on the eddy current technology for now, we recognized this during the discussion with the owner of the DS750-2E absorber.

Yeah, I believe only few did similar to Gale Banks approach, to answer his last question. I assume the cost of test facility will level around at least 300 kUSD (maybe up to 400 kUSD) for labor and material if everything would be new, prototyped and high leveled.

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #859 ·
Update from the engine bench room:
The engine coolant pump got is own damper platform (see below the heat exchanger at the wall). Fully decoupled and moveable like the flex hose will be. This will make the installation procedure more simple for different sizes and to clean the room.

On the big Schenk WS260 we found no good place to attach it on the frame of it. So here we also followed a single decoupling platform, stable, decoupled, moveable.

We moved both brakes into there final position. We both got sweeting, not of the 700 kg WS750, but because of the E2-180, which we moved with an leverage and pure muscle power. We put new decoupler gums below the feet of the trusses.

Now we have more clearance for the header and exhaust on both benches. The trusses are now exactly there where we will bolt them down with 2 component glas housing glue dowels (M10x140 mm).

Of course we did our work always at highest quality approaches :D.

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #860 ·
Update of the engine dyno room:

Now we get serious! Tiles are bored, no way back πŸ˜‰

This is the amazing glue dowel, earth quake safe at least, but we won't have this, so it will hold the engine in place.

Elastic under plates (15 mm rubber material) under the trusses. Almost no body sound from the engine bracket into the bottom, so to say decoupled.

The small one got also it's shaft protection shield, painted in the almost same color as the brake frame.

Today we worked on the flow bench:
  • made a flow chart of signals and energy to organize the pin connections right
  • made a 90Β° elbow to hold the flat screen arm and fixed it on the mobile flow bench
  • made a 3rd Bosch Profile platform for the 3rd pump, we weren't satisfied with the one attached to the bench frame
  • made the cut out for the elbow plate and some other adaption and extensional functions, which need to be addressed on the cover plates of the bench

The elbow will get painted for camouflage. The operator will start the mini pc with a needle sized stick through a bore hole of the right wall and stand in front of the flow bench, setup the valve lift and adjust for now vacuum by hand (closed loop vacuum control next upgrade, the algorithm need some fine work). On the flat screen the operator will see all info of the ProfiLab: pressure of vacuum, atmospheric conditions, corrections according ASME, flow and so on.

Next the harness of the flow bench will be finished and the mini PC will be started, ProfiLab to be installed and energy cabling has to be pinned correctly. We have now a 240 V to 12 V module, which will supply the current to run the flow sensor.

841 - 860 of 891 Posts