Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running a V2 intake...wondering if anyone has had any luck or noticed any improvement by wrapping the intake with some sort of heat resistant tape? Anybody do a before and after on a Dyno?

Erik

·
Registered
433 Posts
You may see some result on a dyno, but then you may not. I think under certain conditions it very well make a difference. I have always wrapped my intakes with the header wrap left over from the header. I don't have dyno results to back up its use, but every little bit helps. Certain conditions where underhood temps get high, I am sure it helps. Every 10-11 degrees you can reduce intake temps, you get a 1% overall increase in engine output.

AEM's intakes are aluminum, which certainly doesn't act as a very good thermal barrier. Do it, it can't hurt, it can only help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...I'll give it a try...my only thought on it, was that if the intake were to heat up...the wrap might actually hold heat in while crusing...but I guess there is only one way to find out.

·
Registered
433 Posts
No, that certainly wouldn't be the case. The only heat sink will come from outside. Do it and datalog your IAT in as controlled circumstances as possible. That's what I'd do.

·
Registered
285 Posts
i have a short ram, but my intake pipe was getting hot so i decided trying to paint it black because i read on another forum black repels heat. i didnt notice a difference. after that i wrap foil around half of the of the pipe and made a foil air box(made from aluminum foil pans). the car felt a little stronger(ghetto test: before i was able to reach around 80mph on this back road, after the mod i was able to do 90mph) and ive noticed the intake doesnt get as hot.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
I normally wrap every thing in my compartment. The heating cooling supply and return lines, radiator supply line ( on top of my CAI pipe ), AC supply lines, header heat sheild. Damn I am compulsive ? A normal dyno run is around 3 to 4 runs, to acheieve max numbers. Why, because intake temps are too high to continue, the numbers just fall. how ever it is what you can do to beat the heat that counts.

·
Registered
96 Posts
RC000E said:
You may see some result on a dyno, but then you may not. I think under certain conditions it very well make a difference. I have always wrapped my intakes with the header wrap left over from the header. I don't have dyno results to back up its use, but every little bit helps. Certain conditions where underhood temps get high, I am sure it helps. Every 10-11 degrees you can reduce intake temps, you get a 1% overall increase in engine output.

AEM's intakes are aluminum, which certainly doesn't act as a very good thermal barrier. Do it, it can't hurt, it can only help.
Fiberglass header wrap would definitely hold the heat in the intake and have a reversed effect on what you are trying to achieve. Header wrap is made to keep the heat in the exhuast manifold so it dosen't get out, which in turn keeps the overall temps in the engine bay down. They sell specific intake wraps that are a foil material on the outside and cloth material on the inside. The foil repels the heat allowing the intake tube to stay cooler. Thermo tec makes a great lace up one that I have on my SRI. The upper radiator hose comes very close and in some cases touches a SRI on the EP3. I used to not even be able to touch the SRI without the wrap. There is a small portion of the intake right before the silicone connector that I can touch to see how hot it is and it stays cool to the touch ever after 20-30 minutes of stoplight driving.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I actually always use steel tubing for the custom intakes I make, then coat them with a ceramic paint. I then finish them off with the header wrap. It's always been good for 20+ degrees of reduction in intake temps on the hottest of days. The only downside is the the header wrap isn't reflecting as would a foil style thermal barrier.

Fact is the engine bay is hotter than intake air temperatures, so the header wrap is still functioning as an insulator. Touch a header after it has been running for 5 minutes. It's proof in the fact the barrier works both ways. Fiberglass is a good insulator in either situation.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
RC000E said:
I actually always use steel tubing for the custom intakes I make, then coat them with a ceramic paint. I then finish them off with the header wrap. It's always been good for 20+ degrees of reduction in intake temps on the hottest of days. The only downside is the the header wrap isn't reflecting as would a foil style thermal barrier.

Fact is the engine bay is hotter than intake air temperatures, so the header wrap is still functioning as an insulator. Touch a header after it has been running for 5 minutes. It's proof in the fact the barrier works both ways. Fiberglass is a good insulator in either situation.
I agree the engine bay is near 300 degrees in some areas so protecting with wrap can't be to bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went to 3 places in town to see if they had anything that would be good to wrap the intake besides the header wrap...nobody had anything like a foil/cloth wrap...this town is lame. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you try a motorcycle shop? I work parts at one, and you can get foil tape. Any Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki or Yamaha shop should have some. They'll probably have to order it, but it is available.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll check them out...I stupidly went to a "performance" car shop and then two regular auto supply houses. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
revtune said:
Did you try a motorcycle shop? I work parts at one, and you can get foil tape. Any Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki or Yamaha shop should have some. They'll probably have to order it, but it is available.
Is that your EP3? My EP3 is a sleeper, but I am thinking of some outside tired looks, got to be a surprise.

·
Registered
285 Posts
02sik24a2 said:
Is that your EP3? My EP3 is a sleeper, but I am thinking of some outside tired looks, got to be a surprise.
i dont think that's his car. that ep3 is a BTCC race car, and is in Britain. revtune is in texas.

·
Registered
185 Posts
K2e2vin said:
i have a short ram, but my intake pipe was getting hot so i decided trying to paint it black because i read on another forum black repels heat. i didnt notice a difference. after that i wrap foil around half of the of the pipe and made a foil air box(made from aluminum foil pans). the car felt a little stronger(ghetto test: before i was able to reach around 80mph on this back road, after the mod i was able to do 90mph) and ive noticed the intake doesnt get as hot.
lol Black absorbs heat!!! White reflects...

·
Registered
285 Posts
iwilson said:
lol Black absorbs heat!!! White reflects...
lol. luckily the paint didnt stick on too good. ill try white then :D

·
Registered
433 Posts
Like it was said above, white reflects heat. Swain coatings has a thermally reflective coating which is white, and they are the leader in coatings.

Funny thing is, is back in the 50's GM spent several hunder thousand dollars (and this was the 50's...that's probably equivelant to 1-2 million today)researching the most effective block color coating to reduce engine bay temperatures. After much research, black was far and away dominant. As a result Chevy Orange was born....nothing like American engineering! Such a pitiful truth.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but where can I get the foil insulation from?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.