Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
The reason very soft materials are used in bearing surfaces is to enable the bearing to trap particles down low in the bearing surface. Low enough to sit flush, so they don't continue to damage the crank pin.

The surface of the bearing itself should be something which provides a micro texture to maximize the ability to hold an oil film on it's surface. This is why so many types of racing with unlimited budgets for bearings choose to run factory honda B18C bearings (prostock, nascar, etc). Honda went through a great deal of expense to create a superior bearing surface to all other bearing types when they designed the B18C rod bearings.

· Registered
98 Posts
I read about this process a while back and the big thing that stood out to me was the last part of page 1. I am really drawn to the idea of added lubricity due to the micro dimples holding an oil film. I'd love to see a comparison between 2 transmissions on the same car, but it would be very difficult to prove that any difference in power would be strictly from the treatment. If you had all the parts done in a trans I would think that the whp lost to friction would drop. So even if your engine didn't make more power, you'd be losing less to the driveline.

sidenote: when i started reading about cryotreatments I wanted so bad to have a whole motor done... it was only like $400 too.

· Registered
1,187 Posts
why not just use hardened race bearing and call it a day. seems like a waste of money to me. but thats me. yes shot peening relieves internal stress. certain metals(maybe all im not sure) have memory , and when you distort it it wants to go back to original form but cant , therefore has stress on it. shot peening relieves this stress. 2 different results of stresses on metal are plastic and elastic. basically plastic meaning its deformed permanently from original shape , elastic meaning it deformed and returned to original shape.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.