Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, if anyone hear of WPC coating. The full name is "Wonder Process Craft" or "Wide Peening and Cleaning". And what it's good for? And who can provide this service?

Is this similiar to bearing treatment as what Niko had sent to Calico?

Here is a picture of how it looks like! the one on left is with WPC treatment. With light purplish color.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Sandblasting removes surface material, the peening process is basically cold forging the surface.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Someone correct me if I"m wrong but its basically sandblasting that puts a hard surface on the metal. So in a way it hardens the metal for better wear.
from what i got, it basically relieves internal tension in the metal.

similar to cryo-treating parts like cranks?
i've heard of d series motors with stock sleeves and nothing but block posts, with a cryo-treated crank, being able to support up to 600whp :wow:

·
Registered
151 Posts
from what i got, it basically relieves internal tension in the metal.

similar to cryo-treating parts like cranks?
i've heard of d series motors with stock sleeves and nothing but block posts, with a cryo-treated crank, being able to support up to 600whp :wow:
i would like to see a difference in stiffness between cryo and wpc. and also what would happen if both processes were used. dont know if anyone has resources to this type of information but it would be Very valuable

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
you can take an entire assembled engine and cryo treat it. local top fuel drag bike guy does it to his engines. I was there for the teardown. he used an engine an entire season. there was no wear. the next event they has a piston failure. went back to the shop and put in the used parts that wetre cryo treated and had no problems. all the treatment processes can be done, they just have to be done in the correct order with the propper machining in its order also.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
i would like to see a difference in stiffness between cryo and wpc. and also what would happen if both processes were used. dont know if anyone has resources to this type of information but it would be Very valuable
Mike Kojima is using it in some projects, sure there will be more info in the near future.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Ben at Blueprint had all my bearing WPC treated. I had no idea what he was talking about when he showed me the bill. Hopefully it helps

1 - 20 of 33 Posts