Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

doing a k24a2 swap into a EK (first time), and I was wondering would it be unwise to put in the type s oil pump before actually starting the car and making sure everything works? At first i wanted to not do anything and make sure everything is running fine before pulling the motor back out and puttin in the pump, but at this point i feel like i can save a motor pull by doing the pump while the motor is already out. The cons to this i think would be i think it messes up the timing of the motor when i do this? So i dont want extra problems doing diagnosis when i'm trying to start the motor.

my other question is, i know the type S pump will let me rev it higher, but from my understanding, the k24a2 does not really make power up top, so it wouldnt really help in the senes to make power is this correct?

thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
The timing chain will have to come off to do this. The chain for the K24a2 and K20a2 oil pumps are different lengths, the only way to get the oil pump chain off is to remove the timing chain. You will have to get everything back in time to put the chain back on. The K24a2 has a counter balance shaft and must be put in time with the crank. The K20a2 oil pump does not have this so it can be anywhere when the chain is put on.

On a stock K24a2 the only benefit to a K20a2 oil pump is slightly lower drag since it doesn't have the counter balance shaft. You can also rev higher if making some upgrades in the future.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts