Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry if this sounds really "noob" but im set on gettting a K20 now and need to learn more about wiring.

with all the PNP wiring harnesses flying around, i still dont get it. do these go from the shock towers to the ECU or the shock towers to the engine?

or does this harness connect to the motor, then to the shock towers. but then how does the ITR ECU connect using the civic harness?

i think im answering my own questions. someone please clear this up for me....

engine harness to cabin harness to ECU

where does the PNP harness go?

·
Banned
15,811 Posts
Ok, the basic purpose of the pnp harness is to make your honda cluster work with the K series ecu.

The K motors need an engine harness. That is the harness that connects the motor with the ECU. Most of the plugs of that harness plug on sensors, injectors and other parts of the motor.That same harness leads into the cabin. On that end there are a few important plugs like the e plug. That connects to the ecu.

Basically the pnp harness, connects the ecu with the stock civic cluster so that everyhting works. There are a few ways to do this and there is no best way to do it.

One pnp harness like the hasport one enters the loop at a different point than the hybrid racing one. What I mean by this is that it depends on the pnp harness that you are using. Hasport's harness uses the shock towers round plugs but the hybrid racing one instead uses another plug to enter the loop between the engine the ecu and the cluster. COnfused yet? lol

Whatever pnp harness you choose to use, will come with instructions.

If you want to do it on your own and can understand diagrams, hondata has made pubic the way they wired their car (92 Civic)

http://www.k20a.org/upload/k20awiring.gif

There are a few more points I did not mention like the incorporation of the K series relays in the pnp harness. There are also a few approaches on this. Hasport uses 3 k series relays on the pnp harness where hybrid racing only uses one. The other 2 relays on the hybrid racing harness are the stock civic relays that already exist in the car.

i hope I was clear enough, if not, let me know what you need to know.

·
F1 Junky
2,017 Posts
:? Wow, I'm such an electrical newb

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks nikos...

that just cleared up everything for me. im an electric noob too

mechanical is nothing for me... dissected my motor, brake swap, anything....

but f**king wiring is my weakness... puhahaha

thanks again

quick question... has everone got wiring down already? no problems?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Your best bet would be to get the helms electronic trouble shooting manuals for the car that the engine came out of and the chassis that the engine is going into.
If you have at aleast a minimal knowledge of reading diagrams,you will be able to understand those.
Ive worked on a couple of K swap wiring harnesses.I cant say that theyre easy,but after the 2nd you get to know exactly what is required and why it is required,than you just have to figure out what plugs on the chassis are used.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
rhyno said:
Does anybody have a picture or diagram of the shock tower thing? this confuses me a lot. thanks.
^^^ that too, also do the stock ECU plugs and canon plugs on the cabin harness (that connect to the engine harness) get used?

because if not, im already RIGHT THERE and would remove what isnt needed, since im relocating my fusebox, and headlight harnesses... will this effect the PNP harnesses? since my fusebox will be relocated to under the dash?

im just really unclear as to how this PNP harness works, because on the k-series the ECU is part of the engine harness, and on EG civics its part of the cabin harness... it probably would make a whole lot of sense to me if i saw a plug and play harness installed on a car

·
Banned
15,811 Posts
Ok,

the hasport and hybrid racing harnesses use different methods to get the job done. The shock tower plugs are used by the hasport harness. Instead of using these plugs, hybrid racing uses the c101, the c302, the eplug , and the datalink obd2 plug.

Once you have the harness, it is pretty easy to install with the dash out.

You will individually wire the:

CHARGE INDICATOR
COOLANT TEMP FOR GAUGE CLUSTER
BRAKE SYSTEM INDICATOR FOR GAUGE CLUSTER

etc...

I hope this helps. Try to be specific if you have more questions and I will try to help.

·
GoldStar
2,657 Posts
nikos said:
I hope this helps. Try to be specific if you have more questions and I will try to help.
where do babies come from? :D j/k where is everyone getting their e plugs??

·
Banned
15,811 Posts
Will at hybrid racing offered to help out if someone needs one. Sent him a PM if you need one.

You can also order them online. Only problem is you have to buy 1200 of them minimum for $2500.. lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.