Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
H2nr said:
they dont make a mount kit yet for the 24a2 tranny so if a guy could order a TSX swap (they are cheap) and get a 20a2 tranny case from the dealer and install the 24a2 internals they would be good to go. Besides the 24a2 tranny has the lower FD gear.

That is true...

It's will be a lot better choice...

Or if you can get a Type R tranny..

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
TeamPacman said:
That is true...

It's will be a lot better choice...

Or if you can get a Type R tranny..
Ya, but with the torque and the smaller power band of the k24a2 would the short gears of the Type R or A2 tranny be well suited to a TSX application? I would think 1st, 2nd, and maybe even 3rd would kinda suffer with the short gears...

Or am I way off?

Thinkinga bout putting the TSX 1-3 gears and final drive in the A2 tranny myself... :up:

·
Registered
414 Posts
IF the TSX gears work in the RSX casing,to use 1st or 2nd from the TSX,you would need a new TSX mainshaft,as 1st and 2nd are built into the mainshafts.You would need the matching countershaft gears as well.

First gear from the TSX is the same as the RSX though,so if you were to change out just 2nd,youd still need to spring for a new TSX mainshaft as you cant just buy 2nd mainshaft gear.

To use the TSX final drive in an A2 casing,you will need the matching TSX countershaft as well.

I havent tried putting an RSX casing on top of a complete TSX gearset,so I couldnt tell you for sure that it works.

Just to add...the type r transmission has a very slightly longer first gear than the TSX and Type S.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
fearless_dsm said:
Just to add...the type r transmission has a very slightly longer first gear than the TSX and Type S.
So you are saying that the Type R tranny would be a suitable option gearing wise to match up to a TSX block? I would have thought the gears would have been shorter... Or is it just first that is longer?

What would the optimal tranny setup be for a TSX motor... Lets just pretend I have an A2 and a TSX tranny to combined... :up:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Optimal gearing would depend on what kind of driving/racing you do and what modifications are done to the engine.
If youre road racing,the type r transmission should be great for any K engine.Its closer ratio and if shifted at the proper rpm,it will keep any engine in its power band.
1st gear is the only long gear in the R transmission..every other gear is shorter than any other K transmission.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
fearless_dsm said:
Optimal gearing would depend on what kind of driving/racing you do and what modifications are done to the engine.
If youre road racing,the type r transmission should be great for any K engine.Its closer ratio and if shifted at the proper rpm,it will keep any engine in its power band.
1st gear is the only long gear in the R transmission..every other gear is shorter than any other K transmission.
Well, I will as you said be using the car for road racing (I like turning, in both directions). I would just think with the short gearing of teh R tranny and the abundance of torque in the K24 that it would notlet you take full advantage of the power. Second gear would be useless if you can't keep traction. Other than that I would think the gears would be fine...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.