Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the question asks why did Covid happen? Covid will now be cemented in time as pre-covid and post-covid. What I find interesting about it as soon as it hit the news, the news was next level ready t o keep people on the sofa waiting for the next news broadcast. In the United States, it shut down everything immediately. Some things lingered but the the brakes were put on daily understanding of life. People are freaked out yet easier to keep tabs on because they are home on the internet. We are tracked and profiled more now than ever. A simple virus can nearly collapse our economy and if our food distribution was impacted to no production would turn communities into war zones. Yet the food kept coming so that is a good thing, without water and food nothing makes sense in life. All life would seize to a hault. Did covid happen to open our minds and understand either one can plan for bad times? Did it happen to test the world population's ability to respond to the virus worldwide. Like a trial run humanity to gauge how to really remove the burdening over population. The fools of this world are bliss and the landlords of the earth are tired of greasing the machine. They don't want the machine anymore.

·
Registered
309 Posts
pandemics like this happen every couple of decades for as long as human history is recorded. And there were far worst ones compared to this. New is the speed due to global travel and the potential to kill millions of people as it is so contagious.
The russian flu 1889-1895, it cost 1 million lives, got recently considered being a SARS and not a flu by some scientist based on genetic analysis of common Corona-virus related colds and statistical estimations on its mutation rate plus symptoms described at the time that much moire match SARS than a flu. The russians called it the chinese flu by the way. Loss of smell and taste was reported, etc.

Flue pandemic 1918 killed 25 Million.
Black death killed 30 Million of the estimated 100 Million people in europe in the 16th century.
Not to mention the dozens of smaller plaque, dysentery, cholera, measels etc. outbrakes.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Too much smoke and mirrors in the political world surrounding this. I worked every day during the “shutdown” I was outside breathing the clean free air, and I recently became sick a few days ago only to feel 100% again in 48 hrs with no doctor visit, no flu shot, no COVID test,nothing but water and vitamin c. It’s really brought out the worst in a lot of people if you ask me. So much fear over the unknown. And who to trust in a time like this ? Politicians? Government leaders ? I’m not too sure.

·
Premium Member
10,396 Posts
I will bite and give my .02 cents here...

Is it over hyped by the media and government? yes.
I think here in the states it's worse than the rest of the word on account of a couple things...
usa- population ~330M
usa- obesity rate ~30%

Known underlying health conditions will cause more severe reactions. Sometimes I feel like the only person going to say the writing on the wall here... ~110M people at higher risk... without diabetes, heart, lung, other chronic issues that would add to the issue. America as a whole (numbers wise) is an unhealthy country. The health system is set up to profit like everything else here. (Not saying that a free market and supply and demand are bad things, I love this country in that regard) So if you believe that big healthcare actually cares about people being healthy you are crazy. Individuals do but not the corporations...

In the news I've heard of all these 'healthy young people' dying from the virus only to see that they clearly were obese and likely prediabetic.

I don't believe that this was lab created and truly believe that this is simply mother nature progressing naturally. This is by far not the most devastating disease to spread (mortality rate wise). I had a very frank conversation about all of this with my stepson when this first was starting out. I told him that this is nature, this is not contained and will spread until the very last virus has been eradicated. You cannot stop this any more, it will find new hosts and run its course. It will replicate and mutate and become harder to kill. The best you can do is try not to get sick but if it happens then you will do your best to fight it. You will very likely not have any symptoms and will unknowingly spread it. This isn't your fault.

He looked at me like I was speaking Greek. I don't think he would have ever gotten a truthful honest opinion on the matter. The news certainly isn't giving me the information I need to make informed opinions and judgements on the matter. It is certainly a tool being used to herd and cower us in fear. As of late its a political tool used to gain votes..

All too close to home my wife has coworkers that have received multiple covid tests, none match consistently. Best numbers I have seen are about 30% accurate. This past week PA has had the 2nd highest positive rate for a single day. But the numbers are only part of the story, how may of these positives are from the last 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months (in some cases this is reported as such), how many are multiple tests on the same person?

I feel very strongly that this is a not very serious virus (for a majority of the population globally) and that it has been used and manipulated to control the masses. This was bound to happen at some point, hell its been about 100 years since the last one. I had swine flu and didn't even realize it (thought it was a head cold) and gave it to an ex-girlfriend at the time (was tested and confirmed), is my immune system better than anyone else? No, I don't think so. Do I not allow myself to psychosomatic manifest symptoms? Absolutely, I'm stubborn as a barn mule. I'm a mechanic, I inadvertently eat dirt daily, I have to lay in under dashboards, and I'm constantly exposed to peoples dirt and filth...

·
Registered
309 Posts
this is essentially what the situation in Germany is about. What to do to preserve freedom and economy without killing a lot of the old and the sick. Unfortunate, many young and uneducated folks still believe it is a hoax, until they get it.
Mortality for the 80yr+ folks is >15%. Not nice.
If you are <60%, chances are very high you will have little issues. But for some younger, health still is shite for months to come after the infection.

Latest estimations for the swine flu were 250000 killed globally based on the intensive care data now available from that time.
A friend had it, too. Two terrible weeks and then it took him about 3 months to really feel normal again. And he was only 40 at the time, sporty and no smoker.
Yes, for many, very little happend. But that was not known before.

The spanish flu was the wirst from recent time, and it most likely originated from a US chicken farmer being in the trenches in WW1 as a soldier and bringing it with him.
No guild or cause framing here. It could have come from anywhere.
We the global travel we have these days, any such contagious deceased can spread globally within a short time frame. Where it originally comes from makes little difference nor matters it at this stage.

No one here has any interest in controlling anybody beyond what is necessary. Extra work for no extra money. Why would you? I won’t beyond what I believe is protecting the weak.
I have colleagues being 66 yrs old with health conditions. I don’t want them to die months before retirement. I have students with underlying serious health issues not caused by life style. Covid-19 could kill them. We all have a responsibility.
All the measures have a dead line so far. Then they either got extended or changed or partially even ended.

Freedom is that you can do what you want unless you endanger others. This is why we have traffic rules, even in the US. No protestors were seen so far fighting for a right to pass red lights on intersections or speed by school busses unloading children as if it would endanger their constitutional freedoms. Even Mr. Redneck himself with the shotgun on the rear window of his pick-up truck has to stop at red in the same way he expects the other chap in the even bigger truck to also stop when he himself sees green.

Winter is a terrible time for colds, and Corona is a cold, just a more deadly variant. It will mutate over time into a common cold. About a a quarter of all common cold in humans are caused by Corona-viruses!
Most viruses tame down over time luckily like most fast spreading diseases. Virus and humans adapt until they life in “harmony”.

if all runs really well we MIGHT have normality again by winter next year.

Virtually everybody in Germany has full coverage health insurance. All insurance corporations have an interest in preserving your health and pay (fully) for a lot of preventative stuff ranging from professional teeth cleaning, to gym courses, healthy eating courses, drug & alcohol rehab, quid smoking courses all the way to vaccinations and stomach surgery if you are morbidly obese.
Why, because it is cheaper to pay for this compared to sorting the issues later on.

This is of course only for those who want to get help. You can binge eat, drink booze until you pass out and smoke until your limbs fall off. Psychiatry, amputation and prosthetics are payed for, too. So no worries from a financial standpoint as a sufferer or booze nose.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Everyone has their own response to it, everyone has different circumstances and expectations that guide how they go about life. Just another subject to divide us as people in my opinion. If religion or politics doesn’t do it... COVID-19 will lol. Some people are barricading in their homes, others running around naked spitting and coughing on everything in sight.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everyone has their own opinion with valid reasoning. I posted the topic to gain a random opinion poll for myself. I always will believe I can learn something from anyone. Covid exposed valued staples of life being questioned seriously. How would the US operate on lockdown efficiently without going bankrupt? Why did it happen...

Regardless why it happened, it made me buckle down and dig harder. If anything I appreciate life with my 9 year old daughter even more. Being a full time divorced dad is a blessed life.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion with valid reasoning. I posted the topic to gain a random opinion poll for myself. I always will believe I can learn something from anyone. Covid exposed valued staples of life being questioned seriously. How would the US operate on lockdown efficiently without going bankrupt? Why did it happen...

Regardless why it happened, it made me buckle down and dig harder. If anything I appreciate life with my 9 year old daughter even more. Being a full time divorced dad is a blessed life.
Ya it definitely puts things in perspective. We just found out my wife is carrying a girl, will be our first one and I must admit sometimes I wonder what the world is going to look like to her in a few years 😂

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congrats on the girl brother. I understand wondering what will the world be and look like for our children. It is extremely unfair to the innocent children of the world, to have to live and adapt to the effects of covid and the actual virus its self. I am very proud of my 9 year old daughter, she is taking the new "climate" on the chin and adjusting. Children are strong, sometimes stronger than adults in certain regards. The children are innocent and pure, they need to be happy and showered with love. They are our future, not these crazy baldheads in our government.

·
Registered
309 Posts
No need to be pessimistic,
a child brings a new perspective to most aspects of live. You'll be a happy man. :)

Back to the main topic. It happened because politicians around the world kept international travel running for too long last winter and spring. They did not dare. That measure would have cut it down.
I thing when the next one comes, the world will react faster. React faster -> less problems and costs afterwards.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,377 Posts
Just as the question asks why did Covid happen? Covid will now be cemented in time as pre-covid and post-covid. What I find interesting about it as soon as it hit the news, the news was next level ready t o keep people on the sofa waiting for the next news broadcast. In the United States, it shut down everything immediately. Some things lingered but the the brakes were put on daily understanding of life. People are freaked out yet easier to keep tabs on because they are home on the internet. We are tracked and profiled more now than ever. A simple virus can nearly collapse our economy and if our food distribution was impacted to no production would turn communities into war zones. Yet the food kept coming so that is a good thing, without water and food nothing makes sense in life. All life would seize to a hault. Did covid happen to open our minds and understand either one can plan for bad times? Did it happen to test the world population's ability to respond to the virus worldwide. Like a trial run humanity to gauge how to really remove the burdening over population. The fools of this world are bliss and the landlords of the earth are tired of greasing the machine. They don't want the machine anymore.
Many questions, many good questions! I have no real answers, maybe some observations.

I don't know why it came up, no matter if nature, mankind or whatever, it is here. It made me home schooling my daughter for 7 weeks, it made me home office working, it made me to get temporarily get laid off but paid at 85 % for over 95 days since May 2020. It made me thinking about my company, which use government payment support just to make me stay at home to get more profit out of the situation, it made me applicating to other jobs, it made me thinking about common news media and social media, it made me thinking of friends and family dealing with the pandemic, it made me improving my 1D simulation software, it gave me time for building a flow bench and a engine dyno room with my friend at his workshop. It made a lot to me, some good, some not so good. It made a lot to my friends and family. Some got ill with it, loosing their scent, some got ill and may not even noticed it. It showed at least where the pandemic carrying organization has improvements to do. What made it to you guys?

The main reason it may affects us in that way is, because of the capacities of beds in the emergency stations of the hospitals. In some kind of one could say logistic reasons made it to a pandemic, not directly the dead rate which comes with it, but that on which came indirectly with it. Think of diseases of really high dead rates like cancer, which couldn't be cured if there are no beds available. So, I understand what many epidemic scientific's want us doing and e.g. German politics gave us to do. It's a socialized risk handling approach. I have no challenge by wearing a mask, distancing and frequent hands washing or not to shake hands. It's a small contribution, it's a sort of responsibility we all have, even if the approach is may not the optimal. It is the approach a society decided for to get less diseased people and more capacity in hospitals for the those who need help there. If discussed and agreed on majority (here government), it has to be tested. If it helps to reduce the counts, do it further. If not, change it. I have no problem when a few resist on not to align with that, but it is a problem if many don't align with that. It makes the approach not to a test case as the representativity will lack. How do you guys observe how people adapt the forced approaches. Does it work or not?

Yeah, it's good if people keep calm and stay to the approach. I saw many people coming up angry when people interpret the hygienic approach differently. There are a lot of emotions, caused by social media. That happens if unqualified information get discussed by people who don't know it better. Quality media is something which is really needed in those times. That would be a media source, which has proven sources, at least one, better two independent, has a competence about the content field and publish content in a rational and deliberate way. What I saw was even quality media went to fight for the fastest and most blinking news. It is like emotionalized people had to get feed by more emotionalized stuff, like that new market has to be plowed. I remember an analog market case when the US town Flint suffered from dying kids because of the toxic water they drank from the water system, which was build based on lead and other toxic material containing water pipes. Stuff we know from the dark age, hear it was a financial decision, using cheaper pipes. Emotions were cooked up by media. I am not sure if this is the lever arm to act on. It's like within ones family, if something get unbalanced or unhonest there are always some emotions added to get it balanced back to show the weight of the case. I am again not sure what size of that overacting intensity is necessary to get things solved immediately. But it is dangerous if media and people look too much on that. The world is still turning, we are living in the most war intense times of the world. There are other topics to be focused on too. What do you guys think of the observations you made since May?

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,377 Posts
...It is extremely unfair to the innocent children of the world, to have to live and adapt to the effects of covid and the actual virus its self. I am very proud of my 9 year old daughter, she is taking the new "climate" on the chin and adjusting. Children are strong, sometimes stronger than adults in certain regards. The children are innocent and pure, they need to be happy and showered with love. They are our future, not these crazy baldheads in our government.
Well said, very well said man!

·
Registered
309 Posts
For me it caused a LOT of extra work. But it helps driving digitisation saving me a lot driving around for short meetings.

Little correction on the water scandal in Flint, MI,
This was not caused by using cheap pipes.
The was a string of poor decisions that lead to this scandalous event. And it was driven by money.

This is how I remembered it:

1. Pipe systems were old and made from (by the way expensive) lead pipes. Replacing these is a very very expensive and major infrastructure project.
2. These pipes were fine for decades as the water supply from the neighbour district fed into this pipes contained the right and carefully designed additive package to prevent corrosion. In addition pH, carbonate and oxygen levels have to be carefully monitored and managed. It essentially creates a thin and tight coating on the inside of metals pipes, be it iron or lead mainly made of non-toxic carbonates and phosphates. This way lead or metal water lines don't corrode and work for at times already a century without issues. But you need to be constantly on the watch for what you feed in there.
The water fed into the households from these pipes did not exceed any lead levels for decades.
3. No comes the greedy part. The local government decided to save money and not buy the water from the neighbour system anymore. They started feeding in their own water. Untreated and no additive added raw river water. The savings from not adding the addives were $100 per day or §36500 per year. We all know the settlement alone cost $600 million. If you now add the legal costs, treatments, construction work etc, that city manager driving these decisions cost likely close to $1billion, casted permanent damage to the health of children and a related issue with Legionella bacteria killed 12 people. All to save $36k a year.
4. I guess due to either the "not invented here" syndrome or lack of competence by the water facilities company management or plain greed, they omitted the correct additive package and ph and carbonate management.
5. Next chemistry kicks in, processes worldwide known in the water supply world since the 18th century. We do not talk something super exotic here if you are in the business of water supply to the public. Once the additives are gone, the anti-corrosive layer slowly dissolves and peels off. Near the neat metal, iron and in case of lead, lead content of the coating layer increases. Ions get into the water. Once it is all gone, fresh metal gets oxidised by the oxygen in the water and increases lead content in the water feed to no end. This is the evil of non-equilibrium chemistry.
6. Water supply companies, in Germany all government owned, has to measure all relevant chemistries in their drinking water and publish it regularly. In Flint, this monitoring was either not done or results hidden in a drawer.

7. Medical doctors start to treat children with memory and attention issues and quickly discovering they are actually showing symptoms of acute lead poisoning!!!!!
8. Issue is found with the water supply or at least it leaked to the public.
9. Governor and water supply company management (same political affiliation I guess) try their best to cover up and not take over responsibility.

This is what I found:

lesson: do not privatise public water supply companies, ever.
No, making profits and having a "free" market on basic supplies such as tap water is not cheaper for the consumer. It is either more expensive due to profits or is makes them sick.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Congrats on the girl brother. I understand wondering what will the world be and look like for our children. It is extremely unfair to the innocent children of the world, to have to live and adapt to the effects of covid and the actual virus its self. I am very proud of my 9 year old daughter, she is taking the new "climate" on the chin and adjusting. Children are strong, sometimes stronger than adults in certain regards. The children are innocent and pure, they need to be happy and showered with love. They are our future, not these crazy baldheads in our government.
Thanks boss ! We are very excited
For me it caused a LOT of extra work. But it helps driving digitisation saving me a lot driving around for short meetings.

Little correction on the water scandal in Flint, MI,
This was not caused by using cheap pipes.
The was a string of poor decisions that lead to this scandalous event. And it was driven by money.

This is how I remembered it:

1. Pipe systems were old and made from (by the way expensive) lead pipes. Replacing these is a very very expensive and major infrastructure project.
2. These pipes were fine for decades as the water supply from the neighbour district fed into this pipes contained the right and carefully designed additive package to prevent corrosion. In addition pH, carbonate and oxygen levels have to be carefully monitored and managed. It essentially creates a thin and tight coating on the inside of metals pipes, be it iron or lead mainly made of non-toxic carbonates and phosphates. This way lead or metal water lines don't corrode and work for at times already a century without issues. But you need to be constantly on the watch for what you feed in there.
The water fed into the households from these pipes did not exceed any lead levels for decades.
3. No comes the greedy part. The local government decided to save money and not buy the water from the neighbour system anymore. They started feeding in their own water. Untreated and no additive added raw river water. The savings from not adding the addives were $100 per day or §36500 per year. We all know the settlement alone cost $600 million. If you now add the legal costs, treatments, construction work etc, that city manager driving these decisions cost likely close to $1billion, casted permanent damage to the health of children and a related issue with Legionella bacteria killed 12 people. All to save $36k a year.
4. I guess due to either the "not invented here" syndrome or lack of competence by the water facilities company management or plain greed, they omitted the correct additive package and ph and carbonate management.
5. Next chemistry kicks in, processes worldwide known in the water supply world since the 18th century. We do not talk something super exotic here if you are in the business of water supply to the public. Once the additives are gone, the anti-corrosive layer slowly dissolves and peels off. Near the neat metal, iron and in case of lead, lead content of the coating layer increases. Ions get into the water. Once it is all gone, fresh metal gets oxidised by the oxygen in the water and increases lead content in the water feed to no end. This is the evil of non-equilibrium chemistry.
6. Water supply companies, in Germany all government owned, has to measure all relevant chemistries in their drinking water and publish it regularly. In Flint, this monitoring was either not done or results hidden in a drawer.

7. Medical doctors start to treat children with memory and attention issues and quickly discovering they are actually showing symptoms of acute lead poisoning!!!!!
8. Issue is found with the water supply or at least it leaked to the public.
9. Governor and water supply company management (same political affiliation I guess) try their best to cover up and not take over responsibility.

This is what I found:

lesson: do not privatise public water supply companies, ever.
No, making profits and having a "free" market on basic supplies such as tap water is not cheaper for the consumer. It is either more expensive due to profits or is makes them sick.
i saw in a documentary that GM and ford were using the lesser quality water to rinse the chassis off, and it was causing corrosion on the metal so they were allowed to pay a fee to gain access back to the neighboring clean water supply, but the people who lived in the town of flint were left with brown crap coming out of the sink or having to buy water bottles they may not be able to afford. I find it odd that where there is so much % of the worlds fresh water, the people who live there have the least access to it , so it would seem.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I hope everything goes well when it comes to this world!
I’m sure it will be great. To be honest , this “pandemic” of sorts has turned some good fortune my way. Work was busier than ever, slight pay increase for sticking to my schedule during shutdown, and I got a couple months of no traffic going to Portland and back 😂

1 - 20 of 22 Posts