Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

Which spark plugs ????

114K views 64 replies 41 participants last post by  tunermt 
#1 ·
Ok guys, sorry for the extra posts... but just trying to get things in order.

I think i need to put some fresh plugs in my car. Simply because i did not do it when i did my swap, so they are probaly still stock with who knows how many miles on them.

I really dont know much about plugs. I did a little search but didnt come up with much i understood. LOL.... Yes, i can do a K swap, but NO, i dont know shit about plugs. I dont know if mine are bad, but i pulled then when they were cold and they were looking pretty darn black. Let them idle for about 15 mins and they lighten up, but looked like their might be small depostits on them (not that i know what deposits look like..lol) So, i think they may be fouled, and being that im still tunning my A/F id like to get a couple fresh sets to use to make sure im getting acurate A/F readings.

So, basicaly im looking for some affordable plugs. Nothing fancy. I head some basic NGK's may be the way to go, or maybe just stock??? Can someone set me up with a recomendation and some part numbers?

Also, what is the stock gap? And is stock gap good or are you guys getting better results with a larger gap? And whats the propper gapping procedure???

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to learn a little and get setup right

Thanks all

---Joe

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Which spark plugs????

If this is a DD and you are NA then the only plugs that will run right are Iridium plugs, my choice would be Denso IK22's 8$ a pop at AutoZone.

Never ever try to gap Iridium plugs, any contact with metal will remove the Iridium. They come pregapped.

#6 ·

The Iridium plugs last a hell of alot longer than conventional plugs, so in the end, the costs end up being the same for a daily driver.

I tried a set of platinums and immediately noticed drivability issues and within 2k miles started misfiring and stumbling.

I have "heard" of guys running copper plugs at the track, but they were very short lived.

#7 ·

IK22's FTMFW!

Would recommend them to any modded K! Maybe unless they're turboed, then go one step colder.

#8 ·

why is it that copper plugs dont work well with this motor???

the IK22'S..... is there a part number??? or is ik22 the park number???

$8 a pop is still a good amount for plugs... anywhere i can get these, or the oem ones any cheaper????

#12 ·

orpheus1120 said:
How would the Denso's recommended IK20 for the rsx be any difference then the IK22?

FWIW, part number of IK22 is PK22PR-L11.
IK22's are one step colder than the IK20's. A colder spark help will against pinging/knocking.

#13 ·

IK22's are the stock heat range for the K20A2, the K20A3 (base RSX) uses the IK20 plug.

#14 ·

NGK
plug #/ heat/ stock#/ MSRP

pfr6g-13/ 6/ 4115/ $11.71 (stock GSR & B16)
bkr6eix-11/ 6/ 3764/ $6.95
pfr7g-11s/ 7/ 7772/ $11.71 (stock s2000)
bcpr7es/ 7/ 3330/ $2.25
bkr7eix/ 7/ 2667/ $7.60
Ifr7g-11ks/ 7/ 7746/ $11.71 (stock K20a2)
r5671a-8/ 8/ 4554/ $2.25
bkr8eix/ 8/ 2668/ $7.20
r5671a-9/ 9/ 5238/ $2.25
bkr9eix/ 9/ 2669/ $7.60

#39 ·

NGK
plug #/ heat/ stock#/ MSRP

pfr6g-13/ 6/ 4115/ $11.71 (stock GSR & B16)
bkr6eix-11/ 6/ 3764/ $6.95
pfr7g-11s/ 7/ 7772/ $11.71 (stock s2000)
bcpr7es/ 7/ 3330/ $2.25
bkr7eix/ 7/ 2667/ $7.60
Ifr7g-11ks/ 7/ 7746/ $11.71 (stock K20a2)
r5671a-8/ 8/ 4554/ $2.25 bkr8eix/ 8/ 2668/ $7.20
r5671a-9/ 9/ 5238/ $2.25
bkr9eix/ 9/ 2669/ $7.60
if i get these plugs for a 07 civic si k24/k20 build what do i need to gap them at on 6psi?

#17 ·

damn which auto zone are you guys going to to find the plugs that cheap...the cheapest i can find them is 12.99 a piece and it's at my local autozone...my shiet ran like shiet at first when i noticed that some idiot...installed in some ik16's into my motor when i first got the motor running...ik22's definately feels alot smoother...

#21 ·

thought there was a spark plug thread already.. all this has been discussed.

but clear things up.

http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_app.asp?productTypeID=1&AAIA=1379022

.44 gap is best for all motor. bigger the better. smaller gap boost blows out the flame.

NGK is $$ denso is the same just cheaper thats why 06 si runs the denso plugs.

so $9 for the denso's is the cheapest best iridium plug you can buy.

#30 ·

I would'nt put anything less than the honda plugs they are Ngk and they are the best. They are exspensive but why skimp when you want to get most out of your engine.
I really hate when people make a post with no meaningful information, but claim they know best. Your reasons for picking Honda plugs are completely speculative and have no scientific or logical basis. Just because it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside when you buy expensive Honda plugs, doesn't mean they are technically superior in any way.

People... do your own research... educate yourselves, and then feel proud when you know how and why the (whatever item you bought) is best for your application.

#26 ·

chameleon said:
thought there was a spark plug thread already.. all this has been discussed.

but clear things up.

http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_app.asp?productTypeID=1&AAIA=1379022

.44 gap is best for all motor. bigger the better. smaller gap boost blows out the flame.

NGK is $$ denso is the same just cheaper thats why 06 si runs the denso plugs.

so $9 for the denso's is the cheapest best iridium plug you can buy.
Actually depending what plant the vehicle is built in. Honda uses both NGK and Denso plugs on the same model. That's why if you look at the parts info when looking up plugs they sometimes give you two different options. As far as NGK or Denso plugs. Try clubplug.net

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.