Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, sorry for the extra posts... but just trying to get things in order.

I think i need to put some fresh plugs in my car. Simply because i did not do it when i did my swap, so they are probaly still stock with who knows how many miles on them.

I really dont know much about plugs. I did a little search but didnt come up with much i understood. LOL.... Yes, i can do a K swap, but NO, i dont know shit about plugs. I dont know if mine are bad, but i pulled then when they were cold and they were looking pretty darn black. Let them idle for about 15 mins and they lighten up, but looked like their might be small depostits on them (not that i know what deposits look like..lol) So, i think they may be fouled, and being that im still tunning my A/F id like to get a couple fresh sets to use to make sure im getting acurate A/F readings.

So, basicaly im looking for some affordable plugs. Nothing fancy. I head some basic NGK's may be the way to go, or maybe just stock??? Can someone set me up with a recomendation and some part numbers?

Also, what is the stock gap? And is stock gap good or are you guys getting better results with a larger gap? And whats the propper gapping procedure???

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to learn a little and get setup right

Thanks all

---Joe

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Re: Which spark plugs????

If this is a DD and you are NA then the only plugs that will run right are Iridium plugs, my choice would be Denso IK22's 8$ a pop at AutoZone.

Never ever try to gap Iridium plugs, any contact with metal will remove the Iridium. They come pregapped.

·
Registered
693 Posts

in every honda that i have owned either turbo/NA or supercharged i have tried just about every plug out there and NGK is the best bye far hands down

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I am NA and this is not a daily driver. She gets driven to the track once every week or two, and may once in awhile take some light road trips.. thats about it .

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Holly lord!!! Stock plugs are expensive!!!! $50 a set?!?!?!?!?!

What happened to the good old B seires day .. $15 a set.... WTF???

·
Registered
2,531 Posts

The Iridium plugs last a hell of alot longer than conventional plugs, so in the end, the costs end up being the same for a daily driver.

I tried a set of platinums and immediately noticed drivability issues and within 2k miles started misfiring and stumbling.

I have "heard" of guys running copper plugs at the track, but they were very short lived.

·
F1 Junky
2,017 Posts

IK22's FTMFW!

Would recommend them to any modded K! Maybe unless they're turboed, then go one step colder.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

why is it that copper plugs dont work well with this motor???

the IK22'S..... is there a part number??? or is ik22 the park number???

$8 a pop is still a good amount for plugs... anywhere i can get these, or the oem ones any cheaper????

·
Registered
224 Posts

talonxracer said:
If this is a DD and you are NA then the only plugs that will run right are Iridium plugs, my choice would be Denso IK22's 8$ a pop at AutoZone.

Never ever try to gap Iridium plugs, any contact with metal will remove the Iridium. They come pregapped.
Do the IK22 have integral resistors built into them?

·
Registered
224 Posts

How would the Denso's recommended IK20 for the rsx be any difference then the IK22?

FWIW, part number of IK22 is PK22PR-L11.

·
F1 Junky
2,017 Posts

orpheus1120 said:
How would the Denso's recommended IK20 for the rsx be any difference then the IK22?

FWIW, part number of IK22 is PK22PR-L11.
IK22's are one step colder than the IK20's. A colder spark help will against pinging/knocking.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts

IK22's are the stock heat range for the K20A2, the K20A3 (base RSX) uses the IK20 plug.

·
Registered
767 Posts

NGK
plug #/ heat/ stock#/ MSRP

pfr6g-13/ 6/ 4115/ $11.71 (stock GSR & B16)
bkr6eix-11/ 6/ 3764/ $6.95
pfr7g-11s/ 7/ 7772/ $11.71 (stock s2000)
bcpr7es/ 7/ 3330/ $2.25
bkr7eix/ 7/ 2667/ $7.60
Ifr7g-11ks/ 7/ 7746/ $11.71 (stock K20a2)
r5671a-8/ 8/ 4554/ $2.25
bkr8eix/ 8/ 2668/ $7.20
r5671a-9/ 9/ 5238/ $2.25
bkr9eix/ 9/ 2669/ $7.60

·
Registered
12 Posts

talonxracer said:
IK22's are the stock heat range for the K20A2, the K20A3 (base RSX) uses the IK20 plug.

You sure about that? cuz I when I went to the parts store to get mine, IK20 is what pulled up for k20a2.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I just went to denso web site and IK22 is stock heat range for k20a2, I bet that bastard gave me some for base model, I know I told him type S, just a reminder of making sure people at auto zone get your shit right.

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts

damn which auto zone are you guys going to to find the plugs that cheap...the cheapest i can find them is 12.99 a piece and it's at my local autozone...my shiet ran like shiet at first when i noticed that some idiot...installed in some ik16's into my motor when i first got the motor running...ik22's definately feels alot smoother...

·
Registered
224 Posts

SK22PR-M11, IK22 -- JDM K20A
SKJ20DR-M11, IK20 -- RSX base
SK22PR-M11, IK22 -- RSX S

I downloded the excel sheet from Denso Asia, and the recommended IRIDIUM TOUGH is VK22G and IRIDIUM RACING is IK01.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

damn .. is there a cheap place to buy the denso's online??? I went to like 4 diffrent auto stores today and nobody had em :(

1 - 20 of 61 Posts