Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so heres the deal i have a ek hatch 98 and i have k20z3 engine tranny and engine and charge harness. im confused as to how to make the whole transmission work do i need different cables and gear box would i need a different harness to make the 6 speed work etc im really lost anyone can help?

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,174 Posts
Welcome @cokitord26 to K20a.org

...do i need different cables and gear box would i need a different harness to make the 6 speed work etc im really lost anyone can help?
Yeap, the aftermarket like @Eh2gsr named it, supply parts for that. You could also customize your own ones if you have the tools for it.

I've changed the thread title to a more content related one, as we have 100's of "help..." calls which are useless when other guys want to search for specific topics to solve their own issues. This helps also to lower the renew rate of the wheel regarding on a specific issue like your demand of knowhow. I hope for your understanding :).

·
Registered
33 Posts
I believe you will use an 02-04 engine type s engine harness and kpro with the z3 motor and trans. im sure its possible to use the base model 02 04 rsx harness as well with some minor changes to retain reverse lockout. Wire your own charge harness, its easier than you think.

With the z3 (pnn3/4) transmission in an ek swap its possible to run either an rsx shifter or tsx shifter with appropriate mounting options.

Options:
Rsx Shifter Box
1.With the rsx shifter, you'll need the rsx cables, rsx cable bracket and convert to an 6 speed rsx shifter mechanism on the transmission.

TSX Shifter Box
1. With the stock tsx shifter, you'll need the tsx cables and an tsx cable adapter bracket that fits the z3 trans (k-tuned makes one)
2. The k-tuned tsx shifter give you optional cable mounts to mount z3 cables so you wont need the conversion bracket.
3. Hybrid racing makes cables that link a tsx shifter to z3 trans with no adapter bracket, just mount a tsx shifter

Note: You need a vss converter to have a working speedometer with the z3 trans

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe you will use an 02-04 engine type s engine harness and kpro with the z3 motor and trans. im sure its possible to use the base model 02 04 rsx harness as well with some minor changes to retain reverse lockout. Wire your own charge harness, its easier than you think.

With the z3 (pnn3/4) transmission in an ek swap its possible to run either an rsx shifter or tsx shifter with appropriate mounting options.

Options:
Rsx Shifter Box
1.With the rsx shifter, you'll need the rsx cables, rsx cable bracket and convert to an 6 speed rsx shifter mechanism on the transmission.

TSX Shifter Box
1. With the stock tsx shifter, you'll need the tsx cables and an tsx cable adapter bracket that fits the z3 trans (k-tuned makes one)
2. The k-tuned tsx shifter give you optional cable mounts to mount z3 cables so you wont need the conversion bracket.
3. Hybrid racing makes cables that link a tsx shifter to z3 trans with no adapter bracket, just mount a tsx shifter

h

Options:
Rsx Shifter Box

TSX Shifter Box

hey man quick question i heard if i use a 05-06 type s wire harness i didnt need to do any of that speed sensor stuff and everything should be plug and play is that true?

·
Registered
33 Posts
h

hey man quick question i heard if i use a 05-06 type s wire harness i didnt need to do any of that speed sensor stuff and everything should be plug and play is that true?
I don't think an 05 06 harness will plug up to a z3 ecu. I think the z3 ecu connectors have the levers that lock them down rather than simple clips like 02-04 ecus. I imagine you will want to run the motor with kpro, that will usually determine what wiring and ecu you need

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't think an 05 06 harness will plug up to a z3 ecu. I think the z3 ecu connectors have the levers that lock them down rather than simple clips like 02-04 ecus. I imagine you will want to run the motor with kpro, that will usually determine what wiring and ecu you need
If you have a z3 trans the ecu may read the speed signal but it won't read on your cluster unless you have the converter. No harness will convert that signal for your cluster

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,174 Posts
I don't think an 05 06 harness will plug up to a z3 ecu.
I agree on that too.

@cokitord26, a K20Z3 engine need a flashable ECU when you want to keep the DBW TB, as well as the VSS, which has a complete different technique compared to the K20A2 tranny VSS. You have to decide from your chassis harness, what is the easiest way to implement it with your engine. You can either use an K20A2 harness, TB and VSS or stay with the K20Z3 harness, TB and VSS. The later is the easiest way regarding engine and gearbox control. If you find a way to implement this into your chassis harness and functions, stay with the Z3 style. If it is not possible, convert it to the A2 style. But keep in mind the later need A2 ECU, A2 TB and A2 VSS convertion, which means money, time and DIY invest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts