Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm gonna do my vtec killer for my K24A1. I have my choice between either of these exhaust rockers. Which one would be beter than the other if any? Or does it really matter??

this one?

Or this one?

Thanks in advance for any help or insight:up:

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the input anyone else. I am also thinking about the 2nd ones from some things I just read. I just can't seem to find any real good info on this

·
Registered
149 Posts
the 2nd looks lighter too...unless you go with the ferrea roller rockers.

·
Registered
980 Posts
i have run both and the 1st picture ones on top u leave alone no grinding at all the second ones that look lighter need to be grinded or the vtec lobe carves away at the rocker learned that first hand lol 1st hand experience

Have alot of vtec killer tunes under my belt both k20 and k24 when ur ready to tune hit me up 1-845-416-6051 they are tricky but work amazing and love boost and nitrous I daily a k24a8 vtec killer turbo 500plus whp i love it

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my last car was a smidge over 500 as well. loved vtec killer. I didnt put it together though. This time I'm doing it and need the knowledge. I know one thing. I'm keeping your number. I'm gonna use my last tune as my base map. I know it will be close since I'm building pretty much the same build. I only had one problem. at partial throttle on the freeway I'd get a stutter. I posted datalog of here somewhere once.

So flip, you would recomend the first one then?

·
Registered
980 Posts
my last car was a smidge over 500 as well. loved vtec killer. I didnt put it together though. This time I'm doing it and need the knowledge. I know one thing. I'm keeping your number. I'm gonna use my last tune as my base map. I know it will be close since I'm building pretty much the same build. I only had one problem. at partial throttle on the freeway I'd get a stutter. I posted datalog of here somewhere once.

So flip, you would recomend the first one then?
I would use the first ones because of the no mods needed to run them and ur part throttle stutter, i can fix. I use to have the same problem. I can also teach u how to fully tune u car if u are interested have already done this for other users on the site!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wanna be my BFF, :heart: lol. that would be great. stay in touch. I got your number. will be a little while before this new build is done. I havent tuned kpro. made a couple of base maps, never messsed with anything else though

360-560-0977

Ray (JDMTOKER, TOKE)

thanks for the info, I'm gona use the first ones since no mods need to be done:up:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Before you use the first ones do you know why Honda quit using that one?

Use the second one and cut the cam lobe thinner. You will still have to clearance them either way.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
The second ones are the newer version Honda released because they are stronger. Don't just go grinding material away or you will make it very weak and it will crack and damage valvetrain and cams. If anything have them sent out to be cut with a CNC machine. If you're just going to run oem cams on the vtec lobes you can probably get away with the older style though, but I wouldn't go much bigger on them.

·
Registered
980 Posts
have two clients that run aftermarket cams on those older style rockers one has obx stage 1s and the other runs crower stage 2s both with nitrous and stock valve springs and retainers no problems they are both on there third year with this setup

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm having all the extra lobes shaved off. Don't know if that makes a differance or not

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I used the newer style on my k24a1 and moved the intake rockers to the exhaust.

Also, if you have balls, the cams are much harder material then the rockers. I used assembly lube on the lobes and turned the engine over by hand a bunch of times to "shave the rockers" the lube collects the shavings and you can wipe it all off when done. Its been running fine ever since.

I used tsx exhaust and z1 intake, so any oem cam will allow this process.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've used both sets, but this is my first vtec-killer set up. The old style I had to shave just a tiny bit, new style like flip said shave out by the roller.

There is the 193hp k20a3 vtec-killer thread in the all motor section. It's a long read but you will get some of the basic info. Gonna be getting in touch with flip to tune mine up soon.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
why grind the cam if u dont have to
The older style break with any cam of reasonable size. The ones you listed are pretty mild. Even clearancing the newer style rocker weakens them considerably and can promote failure. Cut the cam narrower and you barely have to clearance the rocker....they stay strong.

I had my engineer put them into motion in Inventor and measure the stress and they flex like a mother f'er when you cut much from them.

...just a suggestion.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well my cams are just stock A2 cams, so I should narrow the cam lobe width, use newer rockers or just use the older style with no mods.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Use the old style and narrow the lobe, since you are grinding the primary and secondary lobes off anyway.

Or just grind a little away from the rockers and go to town. How much are they charging you to grind the cams?

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,648 Posts
What about using the 3 lobe rockers BUT locking them all together using a custom pin?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts