Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I’ve been doing some research and have found great information on this site. I’m doing a K20/K24 swap in my 2001 Honda accord but I’ll be using the 04 Honda Accord 5spd transmission and I’m not positive which ecu would be best. I know I can use the RSX base 5spd ecu but was wondering if I got the Type-S 6spd ecu would it work out. I found a 6spd ecu for fairly cheap and would rather get this if it’s possible and it would be easier to resell in the future if need be. Basically if there are any benefits or draw backs from either ecu it would be greatly appreciated if you could let me know about them for my setup.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
The 6spd will work just fine man. I remember you had the k24 man. Do you have any updated pics. Would like to see that go down. :up: The 5spd works too, but go for the 6spd b/c do the ecu doesn't know what gear you are in. lol The 6spd is fine.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 6spd will work just fine man. I remember you had the k24 man. Do you have any updated pics. Would like to see that go down. :up: The 5spd works too, but go for the 6spd b/c do the ecu doesn't know what gear you are in. lol The 6spd is fine.
Thanks the motor has not been dropped in yet still waiting on some parts I'll make sure to update my thread. Which ecu will not know what gear you’re in? I'm going to use the 5spd accord trans for sure even thought the 6spd with LSD would be nice. So with kpro you can run a 6spd type-s ecu and disable 6the gear? but which is the best option vs the 2 ecu's really, I'm trying to make things simple as it is this swap will be a challenge lol.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Man, I would strongly recommend the 20-04 type-s ecu, and if it does work with the car great, and you still have an ECU to be chipped for Kpro, and if not you could sell it a lot faster than the base for the reason other swaps want it for Kpro. It is like 500 extra to buy that ecu to be chipped. So really you could resell it for 400-500bucks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be using the usdm only ecu. I know the base rsx 5spd ecu will work what I'm trying to find out is the advantages or using the rsx-s 6 spd ecu and if it would run the 5spd accord trans with no issues. I for sure know selling the 6spd ecu with kpro would be easier. I forgot to note I'll be using Kpro with the ecu of course :D I was not asking only to run the ECU in stock form sorry so let me know thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
If you are not using ac or nitrous just get the cheapest one you can find that is kpro compatible.
Also, you may want to buy one used with kpro installed, that is the cheapest route.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys also I forgot to ask what's this about he reverse gear lock out will it effect anything with the 5spd trans and 6spd ecu.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Thanks guys also I forgot to ask what's this about he reverse gear lock out will it effect anything with the 5spd trans and 6spd ecu.
don't worry about it. reverse is pretty far off to the side, no way you will miss shift into it from 5th.

·
Registered
672 Posts
If you have a 6-speed ecu and a 5-speed transmission, the reverse lockout solenoid will not work and won't block you from going into reverse if you mis-shift while driving. Same goes for if you have a 5-speed ecu and have a 6-speed transmission. But like Signalpuke said as long as you never mis-shift and go into reverse while moving forward you're fine.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys is a 37820-PND-A03 ecu a 02-04 base 5spd rsx ecu? I could not find the part # on acuraoemparts.com for all year base's I wanted to run Kpro with this ecu. You think it's a Canadian ecu # stamp which I think it maybe IS because it's not showing up under A03 in the US acura database.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Okay so I understand which ECUs are Kpro compatible, but will the harness plug right in, or will you need an adaptor? :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Okay so I understand which ECUs are Kpro compatible, but will the harness plug right in, or will you need an adaptor? :confused:
Depends on the chassis. For swaps, yes. There is a simple one (like for a race car) on Hondata's site. If you want more features, like AC and Fan switches and other neat stuff, have one custom made.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Depends on the chassis. For swaps, yes. There is a simple one (like for a race car) on Hondata's site. If you want more features, like AC and Fan switches and other neat stuff, have one custom made.

Well for example my EP3 ecu is PNF, is it possible to just drop in an ECU from an RSX? I asked Hondata and they said ONLY to use a PNF ecu. :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Well for example my EP3 ecu is PNF, is it possible to just drop in an ECU from an RSX? I asked Hondata and they said ONLY to use a PNF ecu. :confused:
If that is what they say then I would do it.
For a swap (non K-native chassis) the ecu does not matter, just that it is K-pro compatible.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts