Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know ill probably get trolled to death for asking but I looked for days and used the search but had no luck. I live near Sacramento and was just wondering if anyone knew any reputable places to get a swap done. Trying to get some estimates before I dump any money. Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,523 Posts
DIY my friend.

May take some time or mistakes may occur but you're betting off getting it done with you're own hands. In the case that something does occur, you can figure it out on your own, instead of wondering or questioning why "so and so" did it this way or what DID they do in general. :up:

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
DIY my friend.

May take some time or mistakes may occur but you're betting off getting it done with you're own hands. In the case that something does occur, you can figure it out on your own, instead of wondering or questioning why "so and so" did it this way or what DID they do in general. :up:
x2, worth so much more diy. in a swapped car you will have problems, better you did it so you know what the deal is. sometimes its more pita try to figure out what other ppl did than just redoing yourself. it may seem hard(i thought it was first time i pulled a motor) but trust me it can be done. just got to jump in feet first, not to mention tons of ppl on here that are more than willing to help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
where at in sac i can do it. i live in roseville.
Im just outside of Roseville in Granite Bay, I only have about 2g's right now so I need to save some more but how much you think you could do it for?

And other guys, I would love to do it myself but I wouldn't even know where to start, I'm pretty noob right now about all this stuff and I know i would **** it up. lol

·
trial user
12,673 Posts
Ok then, let's lay out a plan of action that's effective AND REALLY WORKS.
1: While you are saving up your money read through build threads that are chassis specific. There is a great forum on here that deals with EG/DC/EK. Look for builds that are dropping in a motor similar to the one you want. Look for tips and tricks. Try not to get sidetracked by "slick shit". Custom wire harnesses, shaved bays, Spoon valve covers and Titanium bolt sets will do very little for you except pull money from your primary objective and will not gain you a single horsepower. Read a lot of threads that have the word "overheating" in them.
2: Find a person in your area that will do the job for some cash but be sure to tell them that you want to be hands on too. This means you'll be rejecting the loners and looking for the team players. This way when the bugs are being sorted out - and there WILL be - you'll know what and where they are. There are some lonely ass stretches of road out there that you can't throw money at because you have no clue why your motor quit. The road don't care.
3: Become a supporter here. This is the most important $25 per anum that you'll ever spend on the swap. Why? There are a lot of supporters who are generally great people that have or are working in the field of Honda/other manufacturers that can answer your questions almost instantly on the "Chill Chat" thread. There are also great deals in the supporters classifieds. We help our own. Not to mention the pics on the "Not Work Safe" threads.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mcoy is on point, bro. I'm 18 and have so little experience and I'm about to jump into doing the swap myself into my auto ek. If you want it bad enough you'll make it happen.

You just inspired me to donate haha!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, you inspired me. Ill talk to my dad today to see if i can post in his garage for while. Where do you think I could rent a crane? And one more question, I really want to go k20a type r, but i heard that it wont pass smog so i was thinking k20a2 or k24a2. I read that k20a2 has less torque but screaming top end and k24a2 is more lower end. I will eventually go boost and was wondering what would be best in my car (2002 civic EX) Em2.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
if going boost def k20, you can boost k24 but there is alot of ppl making HUGE power on k20a2's etc.
as far as diy. it really is harder than it looks, i remember i got ripped from a shop and said to myself they are dumbarses and i know they are no smarter than me, and if i was going to just throw monet away(getting ripped) might as well try myself and break stuff/lose money that way, if nothing else i will learn. went and bought a haynes manual(they suck btw) and jumped in feet first changing tranny on d series eg. took all weekend off and on but drove that bitch to work monday(totaled tues lol), only got to drive 2 days. never the less have not looked back and done d, b, and k from top to bottom since. buy you a helms factory serv. man.(or download online) best book in the world, almost dummy proof, and search on here as mccoy said. as long as you can read a helms and have acces to k20a you will be fine:up:

·
trial user
12,673 Posts
xxcellence - Get the K24a2 motor if you are given a choice. Forget about the K20's. Torque is where it's at for daily driving. I don't know too many people that are into 7+Krpm range constantly. Your best bet is to keep this thread alive until you find someone in your area that has K experience that will be there to help you with the swap. Remember to pay him too. A shop will tend to get too fussy and every opinion they have will cost you more money. You might also want to start a thread in the regional forum to find a person near you when you pull the trigger on doing the swap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah, two people giving me completely different answers :|. Been looking through other forums as well and see the same thing, half think k20, half think k24. Is their a huge difference between the two? Like, any huge cost difference, swap difficulty? I really like how the k20 revs to 8k, but i don't want to do all the work and spend the money if i regret getting one or the other. Any help!?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts