Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where can I buy brand new rings for FD2 11.7 CR pistons..? I saw the pistons for sale on hmotorsonline.com. I just need the rings.
Since I spun I rod bearing on my 11.1 K20a2 I am starting over and rebuilding correctly (In my eyes). So I am reboring and need to find the rings since the pistons are $200.

I wanted to go aftermarket but from what I am gathering from this site OEM psitons will last longer than aftermarket. Kind of doesn't make since why Wiseco would be any less quality than OEM (and they come with rings).

Any thoughts on the quality aftermarket 11.7 CR vs. 11.7 aftermarket pistons?

My rebuild list:

Blueprint Racing I-Beam rods
ITR cams
K20a valvetrain or S2K springs/ retainers
brand new K20a2 oil pump
new OEM bearings
Hybrid-Racing Chain tensioner
reboring block hoping that .25 over pistons will work
mild P&P head by me (just smoothing casting and some grinding on splitters)
re-spinning crank
balancing crank
want to go RBC w/ stock TB (as long as it don't hit full size radiator, I got Hasport 1st gen mounts: it might be close to hitting radiator)
TypeS injectors
---------

I am building a one step-up TypeR engine with 11.7 CR, no power steering pulley, no AC pulley, Kpro, Rcrew header, 3" CAI, and hopefully RBC. I looking to hit 230whp and 8700 redline

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
where can I buy brand new rings for FD2 11.7 CR pistons..? I saw the pistons for sale on hmotorsonline.com. I just need the rings. My block is going to the machine shop for 0.5 over boring.

Since I spun I rod bearing on my 11.1 K20a2 I am starting over and rebuilding correctly (In my eyes). So I am reboring and need to find the rings since the pistons are $200.

I wanted to go aftermarket but from what I am gathering from this site OEM psitons will last longer than aftermarket. Kind of doesn't make since why Wiseco would be any less quality than OEM (and they come with rings).

My rebuild list:

ITR cams
brand new K20a2 oil pump
new OEM bearings
reboring block 0.5 over
re-spinning crank
balancing crank
want to go RBC w/ stock TB (as long as it don't hit full size radiator, I got Hasport 1st gen mounts: it might be close to hitting radiator)
TypeS injectors
---------

I am building a one step-up TypeR engine with 11.7 CR, no power steering pulley, no AC pulley, Kpro, Rcrew header, 3" CAI, and hopefully RBC. I looking to hit 230whp and 8700 redline

Thanks for any help.
I will let you know price for rings on Monday. Awaiting response from my contact in Japan.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Where did you find then in oversize? Last time I checked they weren't making them in over size?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
and i dont think they come in 86.5, all OEM pistons i have sean are only .25 over

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i thought they came in a .5 over...:rolleyes:

I will take .25 over then

I just want the 11.7 and want some response to whether or not forged aftermarket are worth the extra money. I want an engine that is close to stock form that still performs like a semi-race engine. Even a bone stock K20a2 in a 2000lb EG feels like there is a race going on under the hood. I am sure once I switch cams and rebuild the bottom end it will feel like H1 on the streets. I got 13lb wheels too which helps out alot with the revs 15X7s with sticky tires

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will let you know price for rings on Monday. Awaiting response from my contact in Japan.
let me know, I feel that OEM pistons will suit me fine vs forged pistons. I do not think I will be able to tell the difference b/t the two on the butt dyno.

I just want an engine that will be reliable

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
can I still rebore my block and use .25 over CTR pistons..?? I just want to cross hatch to start over fresh

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
from my understanding, hmotors is not selling oversize on the rrc pistons. they stopped selling the over size prc pistons as well.

on their site it says they only sell stock bore, where did you find them in oversize?

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and i dont think they come in 86.5, all OEM pistons i have sean are only .25 over
you are right. I got confused after looking at aftermarket pistons making them 86.5mm. I want to crosshatch the block and run OEM, if I can't I will have to go forged 86.5mm 11.7. I saw some on BR's site

·
Registered
834 Posts
would love me a set of over size fd2 piston. for my budget a3 build.

·
Registered
238 Posts
where can I buy brand new rings for FD2 11.7 CR pistons..? I saw the pistons for sale on hmotorsonline.com. I just need the rings.

My rebuild list:

ITR cams
brand new K20a2 oil pump
new OEM bearings
reboring block hoping that .25 over pistons will work
re-spinning crank
balancing crank
TypeS injectors
---------

Thanks for any help.
Just buy an Supertech Piston ring its was same as OEM honda piston ring
you can reach 230 mark with RBC setup on stock Type R Throttle Body on 91 pump gas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts