Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So guys I made a build thread so I can get some advice from everyone on where I need to go after I complete various steps. Got finished blueprinting the whole block on Friday. I'm gonna post pics and talk results in the build thread.

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?p=2164922

Cylinders are slightly out of round by a couple of thousandths, deck of the block is in OEM spec-- not warped, and I'm still worried about the casting marks now that I am seeing that these cylinders are egged slightly.

If the cylinders are slightly out of round and they are out-of-spec on taper AND there are casting marks, what's the likelihood that this block is junk?

Just out of curiosity.

Thanks for all of the help thus far fellow K20A'ers! :up:

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
every k series block i have opened up has those casting marks, i would not be too morried about those. buy some 87.5mm pistons and have machine shop fit them.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
yeah it's just casting marks. the bores wear, especially the farther down to the bottom. they should be worn slightly on the sides (not where the cylinder sleeves touch each other) that's from the load put on the wall from the rod pushing the piston up and the piston pushing the rod back down.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Okay makes sense. I was just quoted 56 bucks for hone and bore by a reputable shop in my area :new_slayer:

315-400 to inspect and refurbish my RBB-1 head. :(

Looks like I'll be inspecting the head as well. Any tips on where to start? For example, I read Chunky's thread on checking v2v and v2p clearances on a cyl head with new cams put in and a VTC mod. Guess I'll be saving my old valves so that I can do the same.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts