Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

Whats needed for a 3 pulley setup????

11K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  jrbreaker85 
#1 ·
Ive read, anmd even seen pictures that its possible to run a 3 pulley setup. I will be running no ac and no ps.. so all i need to run is the alt and water pump.

Is the 3 pulley setup more reliable than one with the EP3 idler pulley??? I keep hearing people having a hard time ith that idler pulley.

So how reliable is the 3 pulley setup, and what needs to be done to get it to work?????

#5 ·
#7 ·
nikos said:
all you need for the 3 pulley setup is an AEM pulley for rsx type s or ep3
crank pulley? is it bigger?

#12 ·
Indeed it does... nikos, do you personaly run this setup??? Do you know of any problems with it like the guys running the ep3 idler pulley are having???

Its odd that we havent seen more people doing this..... As close as that belt looks like it is, im guessing if properly tightened there should be enough slack for it to hit anywhere....

From a WHP standpoint what can you say about this setup??? Do you think the radical turn around the crank pulley equates to any stress or whp loss??? Id guess not, but i figured i ask someone smarter than me.... also, do you feel that having one less pulley and a shorter belt helps reduce the rotational mass????

#15 · (Edited)
My opinion on this is:

I would not run that setup unless I need to, like with my TWM ITBS where the idler pulley cannot clear. The cost to run this setup is the same as the idler pulley.

The reason I am not crazy about the 3 pulley setup is that there is not tensioner... so replacing a belt would be a bitch. Supafly run this motor for 20K miles.

As far as less rotational mass, I would not worry about it. The loss or gain of power, is non existant in my opinion

#16 ·
^^^ and is he still running that same belt or did it break after 20K miles..... The reason im looking to do it this way is the fact that ive heard tons and tons of storries aboutt hese guys having a terrible time with their ep3 idler pulleys and belts breaking and loosening......

and to me, when a motor has its water pump being driven by the belt, bent breakage is simply not acceptable....

#17 ·
I'm running the 3-pulley setup and have had it running for about 3K miles so far. Not using any spacer for tensioning but the tension on the belt is good enough. Yes the belt does run close to itself at the top of the water pump pulley, but again the tension is enough so it won't touch itself. I'm using the AEM alternator pulley and the Poly Cog belt. So far the belt shows no signs of wear whatsoever.

Edit: Nikos, as far as replacing the belt it's pretty easy, by removing the alternator I had my belt put on and tightened the alternator back down in less than 5min. I think replacing a belt on the 3-pulley setup might be easier than if using the idler pulley.

#20 ·
im wondering if AEM makes any larger pulley that would fit onto the rsx alternator..... maybe just something thats 4" instead of 3.5" would give a little extra clearance between those belts....... i talked to supafly and he saud that eventrualy the belt loosened and began to slap against eachother .... still, 20k miles is alot more than i see these guys with the eps pulley setup getting on a belt....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.