Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on honda tech.com and was looking at the tread about possible motor swaps. and one was a B18C5, and it said this in his opinion was the best swap for the civic. I was wondering which was better the k20 or the B18 or H22? which has the most potential for power and all that? Im sure the k20 will be more expensive, but i wanted to know which i can get the most power out of in the future.

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
If you're going to go all motor, a K20 is better for bolt-ons will make better power. The k-series motors are the newest technology and i bet you'll see a lot more potential from these motors than b-series. Don't get me wrong i've seen some kick ass b-series but i believe k-series are stronger and will make a lot more power than a b-series.

Price wise, do it right the first time... :wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you want/need to swap now, go with the H22. They are available, cheap, and only 39 lbs heavier than the B18 (inc. trans) with more torque.

If you plan to mod like crazy now and want big numbers now, go with the B18C because this engine probably has the biggest aftermarket today.

If you want the engine with the most potential, I think the K20 would be the best choice. this engine is brand new and already people are making huge numbers on it. This would be the best, but most expensive route.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I will answer the question like this

I had a 99 VSM EK with a 00 B18C5

I sold it

I now have a 93 Si that will one day have a K20 R motor in it

All motor = K20+ think K26, ITB's, SMS header, big cams, valvetrain upgrade and the thoughts of the possibilities in a street hatch start to make you smile and laugh out loud = 120+ traps on motor in a full weight street All motor street Honda

Just sick :twisted:

The B series had its day and will go down in Honda history as a successful design.....the K picks up where the B left off

·
Registered
433 Posts
Well the K20 I think is the obvious choice here. If I had to choose between the H and B though, I would go with the C5 instead of the H22. True the H22 has some more torque but the rev of the C5 is an advantage. When I had my H22 Eg I was rowin gears, it's so limited by that 7400 rpm rev. I didn't have many axle issues but they still existed...they would bind when I loaded the suspension laterally. Couple that with the fact that in similar cars in a street trim the B18c5 car is a tad faster. K20 though is the true choice here though...like someone said above, if your gonna spend the money do it right the first time...go K20.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.