Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off i well start by saying its a stock bottom end. k20a2 Going to get ar crew header with full 3in, 70m thr. What i need to know is can i use stage three cams with springs and retainers? Or is stage two the highest i should go. How high can i bring the rpms safely. Also what is a better ems to go with, the hondata or the aem? The shop that i go to told me there more into using the aem ems. Im new to the k series motor and said to say i think the shop has not much time dealing with this motor to. Any help would be nice.

·
Premium Member
44,697 Posts
First off i well start by saying its a stock bottom end. k20a2 Going to get ar crew header with full 3in, 70m thr. What i need to know is can i use stage three cams with springs and retainers? Or is stage two the highest i should go. How high can i bring the rpms safely. Also what is a better ems to go with, the hondata or the aem? The shop that i go to told me there more into using the aem ems. Im new to the k series motor and said to say i think the shop has not much time dealing with this motor to. Any help would be nice.
If the shop is familiar with AEM and not Hondata, get the AEM.
Tuning the K20 is different than a motor that has a static cam lobe seperation.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
if the shop does more aem then its just smarter to get the aem, instead of getting kpro where they would have to fiddle around with. as for the cams, stage 3 are streetable but the piston to valve clearance is very minimal and is not recommended on a stock bottom end. having said that, i opted for stage2's for the better clearance and since i have a stock bottom end. but u can do wuteva u want. rpms depends on tune, if the car still makes power and u have upgraded valvetrain then u can go high. but theres no point in revving high if ur not making power up there. i rev to 8800 with stg 2's and supertech valvetrain, stopped there because the power just starts to drop and theres no point. the higher the revs the less the engine life. i think??? :confused:

·
Registered
373 Posts
if the shop does more aem then its just smarter to get the aem, instead of getting kpro where they would have to fiddle around with. as for the cams, stage 3 are streetable but the piston to valve clearance is very minimal and is not recommended on a stock bottom end. having said that, i opted for stage2's for the better clearance and since i have a stock bottom end. but u can do wuteva u want. rpms depends on tune, if the car still makes power and u have upgraded valvetrain then u can go high. but theres no point in revving high if ur not making power up there. i rev to 8800 with stg 2's and supertech valvetrain, stopped there because the power just starts to drop and theres no point. the higher the revs the less the engine life. i think??? :confused:
i agree.

i opted for stage 2's as well on a stock k20a2 bottom end for the same reasons.

i have the same valvetrain and im taking it to 8800 with the fuel cutoff set at 8850. i don't know where my peak power is since my car was only street tuned. regardless, i wouldn't take it past 9k even with upgraded valvetrain on a stock bottom end due to possibly tossing a rod through the block.

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
With a stock bottom end, the IPS K2 Mark II are the best you can get. I would not suggest more than a stage II cam of any brand. You won't make optimal power with stage III cams w/o more compression and the ability to rev higher.

On a stock bottom end I'd cap the revs at 8700 at the track and 8000 daily.

Hondata all the way. So much better for k-series motors than AEM. However, if your tuner doesn't know Hondata and isn't willing to learn it, you'll end up with more problems and a tuner that's not motivated to help you. I'd strongly suggest finding a hondata k-pro tuner in your area.

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
I would not suggest more than a stage II cam of any brand.

On a stock bottom end I'd cap the revs at 8700 at the track and 8000 daily.
2nd ^ that 100% :up:

its possible upgrade/modify the oem oil pump for 9k redline

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I talked to him today and told me he dose some hondata work but most the cars around here are on aem. I know he tuned a type r k20 on hondata but was stock besides the normal header and catback and only net like 211 hp and 153tq. Ive just noticed a lot of you are using hondat and woundering if it was a big differnce. Thanx for the help

·
Registered
167 Posts
From my personal experience I would say stick with Hondata regardless even if he does mainly AEM. I had AEM EMS in my car and took my car to a tuner that was 3 hours away to try and tune my car and he has so many issues. I had talked to him quite a bit and he said that he knew AEM probably better than Hondata. He also knew Hondata very well. They only way that I would say to go with AEM over the Hondata is if it were going to be a track only/ race car. There is not enough adjustability to have a good WOT map and also a good daily drive tune.

As far as the cams go I have a set of Crower stage 2 with OEM springs that I am trying to sell that I will sell for a cheap price. Just PM me for me details on them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Id use what ever your tunner is more comfortable tuning with.

As for cams you should check out Torku Street cams. You don't have to upgrade your valve train and they are making some decent power with a price tag that's not gonna break your bank. You can find info on them here http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?p=558361#post558361 :up:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts