Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for the old motors (B and H series), the biggest piping I've seen people run on the streets is 2.5 inches, and that's with bigger cams and raised compression. With only minor boltons, no bigger than 2.25. But now I see K series powered cars running 2.5 inches with only minor boltons (i/h/e)! Doesn't the low end suffer alot with that big of a piping? So what size exhaust piping should I run? I plan to go all the way with the motor, and have it stay a daily driver(run on 93 gas), still deciding between what CR I wanna upgrade to later on: 11.5:1, 12:1, or 12.5:1. This is a TSX motor by the way.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Y2A said:
Well for the old motors (B and H series), the biggest piping I've seen people run on the streets is 2.5 inches, and that's with bigger cams and raised compression. With only minor boltons, no bigger than 2.25. But now I see K series powered cars running 2.5 inches with only minor boltons (i/h/e)! Doesn't the low end suffer alot with that big of a piping? So what size exhaust piping should I run? I plan to go all the way with the motor, and have it stay a daily driver(run on 93 gas), still deciding between what CR I wanna upgrade to later on: 11.5:1, 12:1, or 12.5:1. This is a TSX motor by the way.
HEy man. just my opinion but I would just do 2.25 inch. A little back presure goes along way :)

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
I am thinking about going with 3" on my TSX. Should be minor bolt on's in the beginning...

:wink:

·
Registered
18 Posts
remyrounds said:
HEy man. just my opinion but I would just do 2.25 inch. A little back presure goes along way :)

2.25 is nothing. i know for a fact that the nissan vtec motors love 3 inch exhaust. i wouldnt be surprised to see a nice power gain from 3 inch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
When the K -series first came out, Honda-Tuning had an article about exhausts for the K20A2. Although I don't remember the details, I do remember that without any other mods, the stock exhaust size was still the best, when they went bigger they either lost power a bit or remained pretty much the same.

That was with nothing else done to the engine, not even K-Pro.

Just thought that was pretty interesting.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
I'm looking at putting the Apexi N1 turbo muffler on my K24a2 EK hatch with custom piping...

80mm inlet with a 115mm tip :p , attached to 3" piping straight back under the gas tank

:cool:

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have a 3" exhaust on my hatch. Its a bit louder than I like driving regualr but I can deal. I have a 2.5" pipe where my car was though but its only about 5" long. My k20a2 swap with hasportheader,3"exhaust, and a very short intake made 180whp and 135 ft.lbs to the wheels.

·
Registered
363 Posts
josh green said:
I have a 3" exhaust on my hatch. Its a bit louder than I like driving regualr but I can deal. I have a 2.5" pipe where my car was though but its only about 5" long. My k20a2 swap with hasportheader,3"exhaust, and a very short intake made 180whp and 135 ft.lbs to the wheels.
3 inches exhaustmake you lose power for sure during the low end and mid range power, 3 inches its good when your turbo it or you have more than 300 whp then you could go with 3 inches.But i am pretty sure if you had keept your original exhaust as its 2 1/4 and just removed the cat by a test pipe and replaced also the mid pipe center with a 2 1/4 not the 1 3/4 would make you happy even low end and midrange would be powerful across the line than your 2 1/5 or 3 inches

180 whp on a type-s this is the normal amount of hp for this engine.

Adding

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.