Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CM7 Accord - K24A4 - 5 Speed Manual
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mainly wondering about the exhaust manifold for the turbo, but I just wanted to know what gaskets you guys are using, as well as which brands are ok and which to stay away from. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,653 Posts
I ran oem and remflex head to manifold. Blew out an OEM one playing with antilag once.

Never ran a manifold to turbo gasket. Would lap or sand the surfaces smooth though. Looking back would probably use a gasket now. Something multi layer steel

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ran oem and remflex head to manifold. Blew out an OEM one playing with antilag once.

Never ran a manifold to turbo gasket. Would lap or sand the surfaces smooth though. Looking back would probably use a gasket now. Something multi layer steel
i havent touched the turbo to manifold; its a used turbo and I really dont wanna mess with it, especially with torque specs/old studs/the gasket may have imbeded itself or something. I'll look into remflex tho, thanks for the info

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,816 Posts
I learned this from @KBuilt - If you haven't switched to all studs on the head fo the exhaust manifold and if you are capable, I would switch over to them. They will hold the extra weight and it keeps the threads from getting stripped out. Re-using just the flange bolts is not ideal for service. I prefer the oem exhaust header gasket.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,550 Posts
Can you go into some more detail about this?
Installing the oem studs in all 5 bolt holes on the exhaust side helps prevent wearing on the threads inside the cylinder head during servicing. It also helps support the extra weight having all studs to slide the manifold onto. Same can be said for the intake side with big manifolds and ease of install/removal because you won’t be able to slide a bolt in always.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Installing the oem studs in all 5 bolt holes on the exhaust side helps prevent wearing on the threads inside the cylinder head during servicing. It also helps support the extra weight having all studs to slide the manifold onto. Same can be said for the intake side with big manifolds and ease of install/removal because you won’t be able to slide a bolt in always.
Are you saying the ones in there should be replaced? The stock ones haven’t been touched as far as I know. Also, where is a good place to get the studs from?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you saying the ones in there should be replaced? The stock ones haven’t been touched as far as I know. Also, where is a good place to get the studs from?
actually just re-read the post and I see what you are saying, I'll probably end up doing this, but I'm having trouble finding some good oem or mild upgrade studs. where can I easily find them?

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,816 Posts
Also, where is a good place to get the studs from?
You already have two on the head from the factory. The total amount you need is 5 studs. I order all new ones for a clean look. You will also need 5 new self-lock nuts, however when you install the studs you take (2) nuts and lock them together with two 12mm wrenches then tighten the studs in to the same distance as the one already in the head. So what I did was order 2 extra nuts for the install purpose the toss them b/c they are self-lock nuts $0.72 ea. - the other 10mm nuts are $2.79 ea.

1) Exhaust Stud Bolt (10x39.5) - Honda PN# (90026-PNA-003)

• MSRP:$4.12
  • Discount:$0.82 (19.90% off)
  • Sale Price:$3.30
www.oemacuraparts.com

2) Self-Lock Nut (10mm) - Honda PN# (90212-SA5-003)

• MSRP:$0.90
  • Discount:$0.18 (20% off)
  • Sale Price:$0.72

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You already have two on the head from the factory. The total amount you need is 5 studs. I order all new ones for a clean look. You will also need 5 new self-lock nuts, however when you install the studs you take (2) nuts and lock them together with two 12mm wrenches then tighten the studs in to the same distance as the one already in the head. So what I did was order 2 extra nuts for the install purpose the toss them b/c they are self-lock nuts $0.72 ea. - the other 10mm nuts are $2.79 ea.

www.oemacuraparts.com

Cool, thanks man for your help!

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,550 Posts

www.oemacuraparts.com

Youre the man 4reel

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,816 Posts
The parts # guru above has spoken 😅
the more people that insert PN#'s into conversation, the more history online it creates on google searches or on the forum here. i remember back in the day finding out part numbers was a chore, it is such a short cut to know them on many levels. it keeps truth to information, I cannot tell you how many times I have heard that the valvesprings in the 06-08 K24a2 head are less than compared to 05-06 K20z1 yet they are the same springs. If I get drop in cams for my 06-08 K24a2 do I need at least type S (PRB) valvesprings... no you don't have to worry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts