Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

What makes the K-Series Cylinder Head flow?

22K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  The Sword 
#1 ·
What really makes the kseries head so great?... better angle of entry and exit of flow? valve seat angles? bowls? discuss.

pics? ported/unported

#7 ·
VTC is not vtec. other car companies have had VTC(adjustable camshaft timing) on their motors ever since the mid 90's. I dont want to turn this into a thread saying how came out with VTC first. I wanted to simply know what makes the k series head superior using pics! and what people are doing to make them flow more now because at one time everybody was losing power and making them flow less.

LOL fourth! wtf
it's not by accident honda heads flow well. I wanted to know if anybody knew what makes this head flow so well mainly compared to their older cousins the bseries...who know maybe one day ill start a k project. hehe.

#12 ·
I'm interested in this same concept i want to start porting on my head but i don't want to lose power from the pictures blueprint has it looks like that made the runners wider and cleaned up the bottom and the top. If you say that are to short and sharp turning down is there enough material to bring the angles into a less sharp turn down?? Someone has to have some more info on this.

#13 ·
All depends on the cams, intake, header, valves, compression, displacement, etc...there is no one size fits all. Porting is by and large based on experience to find a starting point, and experimentation to find a suitable end for a given combination of parts at a given location...hence why there is no concrete answer to the question.

#16 ·
i cant answer your question really since i know jack shit about B or H series Honda motors, but another thing is not all K series heads flow the same, as stated above, more than likely caused by a difference in valve train, cams, etc.

ironically the best flowing K series head over the entire rpm range is the K24A1 head out of the CRV. only past 6800-7000 rpm does the K20A2/Z1 head finally flow more cfm, mainly because of the higher revs.

i know its not directly on topic, but it relates on a side note:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.