Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What really makes the kseries head so great?... better angle of entry and exit of flow? valve seat angles? bowls? discuss.

pics? ported/unported

·
trial user
12,673 Posts
This has been discussed before. The airflow entry angles are too sharp and short. About the only thing this head has going for it is the true VTEC, meaning VTEC on both the intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The main reason I asked was to find pics of ported K series heads vs. stock ones. what do you mean by "true" vtec?

·
Registered
954 Posts
When he says true vtec he is comparing lets say a base RSX vs a Type-S

Base RSX K20A3 only has vtec on the intake lobe. Where the Type-S has vtec on both the intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When he says true vtec he is comparing lets say a base RSX vs a Type-S

Base RSX K20A3 only has vtec on the intake lobe. Where the Type-S has vtec on both the intake and exhaust.
VTC is not vtec. other car companies have had VTC(adjustable camshaft timing) on their motors ever since the mid 90's. I dont want to turn this into a thread saying how came out with VTC first. I wanted to simply know what makes the k series head superior using pics! and what people are doing to make them flow more now because at one time everybody was losing power and making them flow less.

LOL fourth! wtf
it's not by accident honda heads flow well. I wanted to know if anybody knew what makes this head flow so well mainly compared to their older cousins the bseries...who know maybe one day ill start a k project. hehe.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
VTC is not vtec. other car companies have had VTC(adjustable camshaft timing) on their motors ever since the mid 90's. I dont want to turn this into a thread saying how came out with VTC first. I wanted to simply know what makes the k series head superior using pics! and what people are doing to make them flow more now because at one time everybody was losing power and making them flow less.

it's not by accident honda heads flow well. I wanted to know if anybody knew what makes this head flow so well mainly compared to their older cousins the bseries...who know maybe one day ill start a k project. hehe.
He was not talking about VTC, he was saying that the A3 and A2 heads have different valvetrain charateristics
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53012

They flow better than the B-series because they are a newer version of the same formula. All things improve with time, experience and technology bring better products.

Also, they have to flow better to support a larger displacement motor.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They flow better than the B-series because they are a newer version of the same formula. All things improve with time, experience and technology bring better products.

Also, they have to flow better to support a larger displacement motor.
I asked the question to get a technical answer. Just because it's new doesn't do any good in terms of answering the question. So please dont tell me because it's new it has to be better. There are port characteristics of the kseries head that other heads dont have all i wanted to know. "what are those characteristics of their ports"

The airflow entry angles are too sharp and short.
this is the best answer in this thread. I wish somebody can elaborate on this with pics vs. other honda heads. vs. what people are doing to make them flow even more. (even thought iam sure if u can make these things flow you wouldn't tell just anybody what exactly you did to the head because the nature of the job or cylinder head modication)

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
This has been discussed before. The airflow entry angles are too sharp and short. About the only thing this head has going for it is the true VTEC, meaning VTEC on both the intake and exhaust.
what does that have to do with anything? B and H series all have that too, that isnt what makes the K head flow better

The main reason I asked was to find pics of ported K series heads vs. stock ones.
heres one comparison pic i could find of a stock port and a ported one.. this is from blueprint racing. this is the only time i've seen that sort of porting job

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm interested in this same concept i want to start porting on my head but i don't want to lose power from the pictures blueprint has it looks like that made the runners wider and cleaned up the bottom and the top. If you say that are to short and sharp turning down is there enough material to bring the angles into a less sharp turn down?? Someone has to have some more info on this.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I'm interested in this same concept i want to start porting on my head but i don't want to lose power from the pictures blueprint has it looks like that made the runners wider and cleaned up the bottom and the top. If you say that are to short and sharp turning down is there enough material to bring the angles into a less sharp turn down?? Someone has to have some more info on this.
All depends on the cams, intake, header, valves, compression, displacement, etc...there is no one size fits all. Porting is by and large based on experience to find a starting point, and experimentation to find a suitable end for a given combination of parts at a given location...hence why there is no concrete answer to the question.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i cant answer your question really since i know jack shit about B or H series Honda motors, but another thing is not all K series heads flow the same, as stated above, more than likely caused by a difference in valve train, cams, etc.

ironically the best flowing K series head over the entire rpm range is the K24A1 head out of the CRV. only past 6800-7000 rpm does the K20A2/Z1 head finally flow more cfm, mainly because of the higher revs.

i know its not directly on topic, but it relates on a side note:D

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Damn thats crazy, I might have to get me a CRV head now :silly:

·
Registered
128 Posts
i cant answer your question really since i know jack shit about B or H series Honda motors, but another thing is not all K series heads flow the same, as stated above, more than likely caused by a difference in valve train, cams, etc.

ironically the best flowing K series head over the entire rpm range is the K24A1 head out of the CRV. only past 6800-7000 rpm does the K20A2/Z1 head finally flow more cfm, mainly because of the higher revs.

i know its not directly on topic, but it relates on a side note:D
That chart has nothing to do with RPM.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts