Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering what cylinder head for the k series was the best? some people have told me that the k24 head is the best... but i just need some opinions... and answers so please help me! thanks!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
i personally use the tsx head. many people have told me that the TSX head and the type-s head are the exact same cast. but the newer 06+ TSX heads have bigger intake valves wich i think are the best. correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Tsx heads have smaller ports. There are comparison pics on the site do a search. The ports are significantly different. The TSX heads have an extra water port next to the intake manifold as well. Not sure on the new TSX heads. An advantage might be the TSX head allows more room for modification?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Please remove that misleading chart, the type S head does not flow like shown. The CRV and type S head flow the same since it's the same intake ports.
thats why im porting my crv head and throwing in vtec rockers... instead of buying an a2 head:wow:

·
trial user
12,673 Posts
Yep to the above. I have seen people making good numbers that way in some other threads. The TSX head has more material to work with than the K20 head. The K20 head flows better straight from the box.

·
Registered
411 Posts
stock vs stock.....will a k24 block make more power with a type s head or a tsx head....if so about how much difference in power?

·
Registered
185 Posts
stock vs stock.....will a k24 block make more power with a type s head or a tsx head....if so about how much difference in power?
if you check my threads i have a bubble for sale with a full stock tsx k24a2 swap with skunk2 stage 3 cams that went 11.2. no port work, nothing special. car weighs 2100lbs. IMHO, i think they all flow great.

·
trial user
12,673 Posts
Both the K20 and K24 are well designed engines that have a specific role. K20 was designed for a good performing and economical compact that is fun to drive. The K24a2 was designed for a good performing but option ladened land yacht where more torque is required to get it off the line. Hence the larger displacement and emphasis on torque. For a daily driver torque is best for me because due to the speed limits I find myself in the low to mid power band 99.44% of the time. On the track I would look more for a higher horsepower offering that would be spinning +7000RPM 99.44% of the time. The K20 head flows slightly better and is designed for that K20 block. The Frankenstein builds are an awesome amalgamation of the two and are happy with the great aftermarket cams offered. After camming the K20 and you want to flow/port the head you'll be more limited by the K20 head as the A2 head has more material to work with. You just have to factor your budget against your power goal to determine your answer. I can't remember where the graphs and information threads are here, but the information is very good. There are some great people here that flow heads and post there findings quite often. Try the engine building forum. GL!

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Type S head for flow characteristics and peak power. The TSX ports were made to utilize the torque aspect I believe? smaller ports?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts