Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i may possibly be obtaining these soon.. i did a search however i was not successful in finding the information i needed. does any1 have experience with this??

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you clay it when it was in yanni's motor?? when he had the stock bottom k20a2?? how'd you guys find that it is between 25-30?? did you physically locked it in place and clayed it?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
not on yanni's motor, no. we used rcrew's map on his motor which was limited to 25 degrees.

but other motor's we've done, we clayed it and yes, we locked it in place. i've got a vtc gear i use for claying if you want to borrow it.

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Please try to understand why taking generic information like this doesn't help a lot.

k20a2 block height is 8.350 inches. That doesn't mean that if you take 10 brand new k20a2 blocks and measure them you will get the same block height..

A k20a2 is supposed to have zero deck.. that means no space between the top of the piston and the deck.. but that is not always the case.. Sometimes they are in the hole..

So when you put into the mix different thickness headgaskets and used heads etc etc... you can never have a good idea what it clear and what not at what vtc.. You just have to check..

Too many times people put things together and hope nothing will go boom when they hit vtec...

When a car is 50 VTC safe, most of the times that means that they have accounted for the difference in various blocks etc... so within general lines, you are going to be ok with such a cam.

So there is no way for us to tell you the safe VTC to run without actually measuring your block and head, knowing your head gasket and having factual data of the cam without claying it...

·
Registered
4 Posts
what nikos means is that in general, on a stock motor, with the proper valve train. 50 degrees will be ok. however it is not somthing that you want to run for the whole powerband. ideally you want max degrees on a honda motor anywhere from 500-1000 rpm below and above vtec engagment (wherever that may be) and steps up to and down from. that is a basic cam degree tune.

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
what nikos means is that in general, on a stock motor, with the proper valve train. 50 degrees will be ok. however it is not somthing that you want to run for the whole powerband. ideally you want max degrees on a honda motor anywhere from 500-1000 rpm below and above vtec engagment (wherever that may be) and steps up to and down from. that is a basic cam degree tune.
i'm not speaking for Nikos but i do believe that is not what he said. He said it needs to be checked. The motor needs to be clayed in order to answer your question b/c every motor is different.

but just to get you going, i would not go passed 20 deg until you get the motor clayed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts