Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

221 - 239 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
so i may have missed this in the thread but we will see i have a 99 lx sedan that has p/s and i want to get an eg manual steering rack sould it bolt right it or do i need any special parts?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lol okay I worded that poorlyi know i need the subfram lca forks and steering rack my question is will the manual steering rack have any problems connecting to where the ps steerrack was I've heard somewhere you have to get a special joint.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Lol okay I worded that poorlyi know i need the subfram lca forks and steering rack my question is will the manual steering rack have any problems connecting to where the ps steerrack was I've heard somewhere you have to get a special joint.
The actual joint that connects the rack to the steering column must be used from the MANUAL rack donor car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got a 95 civic 3door sub and a 1999 teggy coupe sub and they are both exactly the same. I don't see Honda making a 4 door specific sub and using all the same suspension components as the coupes.

Mike.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think I might have f*cked up, I have a dc2 subframe that im using on a 99 ek. My problem is when I painted the subframe I took off the two pieces on the top they are where the two front bolts go through to mount the subframe to the chassis. I lost those pieces and I am wondering if I can make it work without them... I dont think the EG subframe has those?

I also bought the subframe and had it delivered but it was missing the 4 mounting bolts, I still have the 4 from my EK i know in the very first post it says that only the LCA bolts are different 17 and 19 mm but I have read somewhere else that I MUST use the dc2 mounting bolts. Wondering what your input on that is thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
My swap will be in a 99 civic sedan(ek?) I will go with ekk2 mounts and want to get an eg subframe, eg steering rack, left+right eg lca, ds 2.9 axles.

so an EG is 1992-1995 civic does it matter which model / trim?
The part#'s are different for coupe ex / sedan dx.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Go ekk1 if your just daily driving it. Some might say you'll regret it, but i haven't.
Do not get rid of your PS if your daily'ing it. Not worth it. I just ditched mine. It sucks.
Hybrid racing has a kit for AC, not sure how well it works as i don't have any experience with it.
After racking my brain about the whole subframe swap, i think ima stick with ekk1 mounts. U obviuosly know what you're talking about and Im sure if its good for u, its good enough for me

My plans are to daily it and go to the drag strip once or twice a year, if that. No ps but ac is a must, thanks drhonda

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hey when using a eg/dc subframe on the ek. What bolts do you use to mount the new subframe to the ek? Use eg/dc bolts or use ek or both?

Also using the eg subframe/rack but using a ek steering colum do you use the ek u joint clamp or w/e its called to mount to the dc rack or use a dc one? Pic below

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have one answer and one question. First-

I have eg manual rack, subframe, lower control arms ready to go. I'm a bit confused about the shock forks- I've read that eg/dc ones are mandatory, but also that EG/DC2 are the same size as EJ6/EJ7. The EM1/Ek9 are the only ones that are wider. Is there any truth to this?

Also, as far as the manual rack in a power steering ek, I've read that you need this swivel joint-

from 96 civic 3dr dx 5spd mt
Part Number: 53323-SR0-003-Honda
Drawing Ref. no.: 4
Description: JOINT B, STEERING
List Price: $38.53Our Price
$27.05

Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello guys. One question.

eg/dc subframe is the same of civic MB6 1.8VTI? I will do a K-swap intobmy EK, but I would like to have EKK2 mount, and I need a eg/dc subframe. But I have a MB6 subframe, and I dont know if it's the same like a eg/dc...

btw, srry for my english... ;)

thank you for your help ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
a question that hasnt been asked before...

im debating on whether or not to put a DC subframe/rack in my crv for my kswap.

yes the crv is very similar to EK but it has A LOT beefier LCA's, shock forks, etc. same as civic SI(EM1). most people have told me to just go ahead and swap but they never think about the CRV's weight, 600lbs more than an ek/eg/dc.

another issue is, crv has a longer input shaft on the PS rack to meet up with the shaft from the steering column. it would likely be 2inches or so short of meeting up with an eg/dc rack.

3rd thing to consider is, crv comes with the quickest steering ratio of any honda. switching to a much slower ratio of the eg rack may make crv difficult to drive. even the dc rack would be a good bit different.

so should i stick with the crv's stock setup or swap the DC subframe setup?

additional info to consider:
crv hood sits 4-5inches higher than ek so clearance should not even be close to an issue.
abs pump in crv sits inside passenger side frame rail 4inchs from firewall and would likely be in the way of any header
the big issue.... moving the motor forwards or backwards may make crvs driveshaft too short/long.

im betting none of you have any first person experience with this but if someone has i'd love to hear some answers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Where can I just buy the 4 bolts that I need to put up the subframe I've searched the honda part sites and can't seem to find the subframe on there does anyone have part numbers for the bolts

221 - 239 of 239 Posts