Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ekk2 vs Ekk1 kits.

Ekk1 no modifications are needed, but the kit, buy ek axles your done. Bolt up kit.

Ekk2 FAQ

Why buy the ekk2 kit?
-Simple, what the ekk2 kit does it moves the motor back slightly in order to have a better axle angle. Shifts the weight back as well, and gives more engine bay and ground clearance.

What axles do I use?
-You can use an axle that is used for an eg/dc kswap. Basically if you use ekk2 kit, your front end is now an eg/dc.

What lower control arms do I use?
-Ones from an eg/dc.

What hardware do I use?
-You should use the hardware from the eg/dc but some are the same on ek. Most of the hardware from EK and EG are interchangable. The front bolt (connects the LCA to the cross member in the front) is 17mm on EG and 19mm on EK, other than that everything else is pretty much the same.

Can I use sway bars?
-Yes, but you need to use eg/dc sway bars.

What shocks can I use?
-Shocks interchangeable for eg/dc/ek. So ek shocks will work. You will need donor forks though. See pic below.

First of all, As a general rule; use PS racks with PS crossmembers. And manual racks with manual crossmembers. You can mix and match PS racks from eg and dc. For example a dc rack will fit on an eg crossmember.

Pictures:

Taken from realek4

Taken from JDM Mike

Here's the bay after I removed the EK cross member and rack.

EG cross member is on the top, EK on the bottom.

EK left, EG right

The lca's (they weight a ton, probably more than the cross member, can't wait for the omni forged aluminum lca's for come out) Left is the EG, right the EK

And heres the EG cross member and lca's installed in my 00 EK.

Taken from drmikey

Here is a pic -

The DC2/EG fork on the left and EK fork on the right. The DC2/EG lower arm is in the middle. You can see that the EK fork is about an inch or so too wide for the DC2 lower arm.

**IF I am incorrect in any information please correct me, or if you would like to add something or pictures, I will add it.**

If you have any questions, ask. If you post a question that is answered above, I will ignore it and delete your post.

Referenced Threads:

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2911&highlight=ekk2+install&page=2

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11043&highlight=ekk2+install

·
Registered
29 Posts
Couple of Q's....

Can I use ITR track rod ends, with the ITR steering rack and subframe linked to the old hub assembly? I believe one of my track rod ends were bent slighty, so I want it swapping over.

I also have an ITR subframe, steering rack and LCA's. Do I need anything from the ITR for the conversion?

Thanks

Rich

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couple of Q's....

Can I use ITR track rod ends, with the ITR steering rack and subframe linked to the old hub assembly? I believe one of my track rod ends were bent slighty, so I want it swapping over.

Thanks

Rich
I believe that should be fine.

I also have an ITR subframe, steering rack and LCA's. Do I need anything from the ITR for the conversion?
Nope. Thats all you need.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Excellent mate, and I think it was you that warned me I will need spacers and the bolts from the LCA's and subframe, which I also managed to get from my supplier, so an extra thank you is in order :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
i have 3 questions.

1.in the ekk2 if u buy rsx shift cabels ,becuse the engine is clooser to the
firewall the cabels is know a littel longer or its feet perfect ?

2.u see in the picture thet the ek cross is verry massive next to the eg,
its infect in the steering balance ?
u know new cross need to bee better from the old one..

3.whet is the whight diffrent between the eg/ek cross member..?

thenk u !!!

shimi.

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have 3 questions.

1.in the ekk2 if u buy rsx shift cabels ,becuse the engine is clooser to the
firewall the cabels is know a littel longer or its feet perfect ?

2.u see in the picture thet the ek cross is verry massive next to the eg,
its infect in the steering balance ?
u know new cross need to bee better from the old one..

3.whet is the whight diffrent between the eg/ek cross member..?

thenk u !!!

shimi.
1. The shift cables might be a little longer but nothing to worry about.

2. I'm not sure if i understand this question. But The weight distribution will be better with ekk2 because it shifts the motor back. It might put more weight on the front wheels if thats what you mean? But I wouldn't worry about that either.

3. I don't know what the actual weight difference is but the eg is lighter.

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From Poison:

The subframes themselves are the same. As well as the mounting points to the steering rack where the rack/pinion is are the same.

The only difference between the two is the welded bracket on the passenger side where the clamp is -- because a power steering rack is bigger in diameter than a non-power steering rack.

You can install a non-power steering rack on a power steering subframe, but not visa-versa.

I had a nonpower steering rack on my 92 VX H22 powered, and got a 92 DX with power steering for my k20 project. I just used an energy suspension poly-urethane bushing to pick up the slack.

Pics:

Power steering rack on top, non-power steering on bottom:

Comparing the two clamps:

The ES poly bushing in the power steering rack clamp:

I cut the bushing to fit it on the subframe:

And mounted:

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,647 Posts
Great info! I don't have an EK but still learned a little something. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
How much clearence is there if you are running abs and EG steering rack. I hear that the headers may hit the abs unit. If so how do you re-locate it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a couple noob questions, so if you could bare with me, I'd appreciate it.

I understand the EKK2 mounts shift the motor back a bit more, giving more room in the front, also giving better ground clearance with the oil pan. Would there be the same clearance with shutting the hood as compared to the EKK1 mounts? I'm not sure if the motor actually sits a tad higher or not, thats why I'm asking.
Also, say if using the EKK2 mounts and not touching the crossmember or PS rack, what would happen?
Lastly, PS is usable with the EKK2 mounts and corresponding changes, correct?
If those things could be cleared up, I'll have a better understanding, thanks. :up:

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would there be the same clearance with shutting the hood as compared to the EKK1 mounts?
The clearance should be a little better because the angle of the hood. Its taller in the back than the front.

Also, say if using the EKK2 mounts and not touching the crossmember or PS rack, what would happen?
The motor wouldn't fit. It would hit the crossmember. The EG/DC crossmember is needed for the clearance.

PS is usable with the EKK2 mounts and corresponding changes, correct?
yes.

Good questions. If you have any others post it up :up:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Very useful information indeed:up:. Couple of questions though...

1) So basically, those with EKK2 Kit using EG/DC subframe and steering rack can now use the omni front lca on their EK's? I believe omni never made front lca for EK's. How heavy are the stock eg/dc lca?

2) Are there any difference between EG/DC/EK PS racks, such as turning ratio?

3) I'm using an EG/DC PS rack, is it a hassle to swap manual one? Once again, is there a difference in turning ratio?

Thanks!

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very useful information indeed:up:. Couple of questions though...

1) So basically, those with EKK2 Kit using EG/DC subframe and steering rack can now use the omni front lca on their EK's? I believe omni never made front lca for EK's. How heavy are the stock eg/dc lca?

2) Are there any difference between EG/DC/EK PS racks, such as turning ratio?

3) I'm using an EG/DC PS rack, is it a hassle to swap manual one? Once again, is there a difference in turning ratio?

Thanks!
1. Yes.

2. I'm not sure. I believe so, but there is the quaife option for the manual racks.

3. See above pics for that info.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just like to add that you will need the DC2/EG shock forks as well as the lower arms as the EK forks are too wide.

I'm assuming/hoping that EK supension will fit OK into the DC2 shock forks (as I haven't got them yet!)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Just like to add that you will need the DC2/EG shock forks as well as the lower arms as the EK forks are too wide.

I'm assuming/hoping that EK supension will fit OK into the DC2 shock forks (as I haven't got them yet!)
That's a new one....??? :confused:

1 - 20 of 239 Posts