Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when you go to get your car dyno tuned what exactly is the tuner doing besides a/f? and where would i learn how to do something like this. could you just mess around with the program until you get the hang of it?

·
Banned
320 Posts
I second that - efi101 is an excellent resource.

As far as tuning goes it depends what you are tuning with. If the car only has a VAFC there's not much the tuner can do other than fuel, VTEC point, and you can play with the timing (the actual physical timing change on the distributor).

Now if you have Hondata, AEM, Motec, whatever it gets more in-depth. On Kseries motor some of these may allow you to fuck with the IVTEC which can get pretty complex. You can also build much more detailed fuel maps as well as change ignition more.

To figure out the optimum VTEC crossover point (at least on bseries motors), you usually just make a run with the VTEC off and another with it on the whole time and overlay the two power curves. Wherever they cross that's where you want the crossover.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I vtec systems are one of the hardest thing to tune this days...

The good thing about it is that you can fine tune the motor bettter with the I Vtec system..

Trust me you don't want to mess around with a K motor...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No. I will be dual inrolling in a automotive program at my local Community College while im still in school. They arnt gona teach me anything about electrical really mabey some diagnostics** but I would like to be able to do basic tuning.

·
Registered
285 Posts
i dont think they teach you tuning at all unless they have a performance class like the Power and Performance classes at UTI, etc. theyll most likely just teach you how to do tune-ups(which is just making sure the car is running right).

·
Registered
28 Posts
K2e2vin said:
i dont think they teach you tuning at all unless they have a performance class like the Power and Performance classes at UTI, etc. theyll most likely just teach you how to do tune-ups(which is just making sure the car is running right).
im attending wyotech and they have yet taught anything to us about "tuning" aspects of a car. But we have learned about adjusting fuel and iginition curves and timing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.