Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey.

I'm going to bore K24 to 87.5mm. What gasket should I use? 87 or 88mm?

Thx

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
The stock K24 head gaskets are all supposedly 88mm

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I thought I had a spare head gasket here at the house but dont, they are all at the shop. I will measure a few just to make sure. I know all the K24's I have built with 87.5mm pistons have used a stock head gasket.

·
Super Moderator
26,616 Posts
88mm

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks I may still get the cometic gasket but it's nice knowing I can still use the new TSX gasket I have sitting here :up:

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Thanks I may still get the cometic gasket but it's nice knowing I can still use the new TSX gasket I have sitting here :up:
I never use a Cometic gasket on a K24A2/A4 or a K20Z3, they use a different cooling path as the cometic is a K20A2 style head gasket. Here is a pic of a Cometic vrs K24A2/A4 or a K20Z3 gasket, notice the pink areas, their is significant differences.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
i went with an 88mm cometic and diverter plate on my k24a4 block with z3 head. had to call cometic on this one, but the confirmed that you do need the diverter plate with k24 and z3 heads. my block is 87.5mm bore too. you can use a 87mm bore gasket, but i was worried about burning out the gasket.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i went with an 88mm cometic and diverter plate on my k24a4 block with z3 head. had to call cometic on this one, but the confirmed that you do need the diverter plate with k24 and z3 heads. my block is 87.5mm bore too. you can use a 87mm bore gasket, but i was worried about burning out the gasket.

DIVETER.................can anyone give more info about this.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
DIVETER.................can anyone give more info about this.
the coolant diverter that goes in the block coolant passage by cylinder 1 on the intake side. it does right next to the water pump outlet basically. supposed to divert coolant to the exhaust side of the block to provide for proper cooling. i believe all the k24's and the k20z3 run them. i had to call cometic to find out if i needed to use one on my build since they only make one style head gasket for k's. they said they should be used on engines k24 and z3 heads, but are not necessary on other k20 heads. it's just a little black plastic piece. called a "partition plate" from honda.

it's #2 in the picture below.

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa/images/illustration/75/521693.png

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am also with the same HG problem.

I have oem k24a2 headgasket and i compared this one to oem k20a2. It seems that there will be issues with cooling if it will placed as it is.

I wonder if I can modify the middle gasket layer and drill some holes in the places where the coolant is blocked? My idea is to make at similar to oem k20a2 one as possible to have best cooling.

Thanks for help

1 - 20 of 27 Posts