Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed but I can’t find it. What engine came in what car? How do you know without finding a stamp on the engine. I’m looking at a 2004 Honda Accord · EX-L Coupe 2D. Wikipedia states the model years have a k24a3 or a4. I believe the a4 is the economy version and I would want the a3or a2. In the k20. It seems all would be true vetch except for the A3. Why is this so hard?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Are you sure it has a K24? The Accord EX-L only came with a V6 IIRC. The K24A3 was never sold in America, that is the European and Australian high performance K24. The USDM equivalent is the K24A2. All the USDM 4 cylinder 03-05 Accords came with a K24A4.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe they don’t know what trim package they have. Lots of people do this and they say it has a 2.4 cyl

·
Registered
75 Posts
Maybe they don’t know what trim package they have. Lots of people do this and they say it has a 2.4 cyl
Yeah maybe. I'd ask to see a picture of the engine if I were you. If it's a 2004 with its original 4 cylinder engine then it has a K24A4, but it is possible that someone swapped in a different K24 for whatever reason such as a K24A1. So the only way to know for certain is to look at the stamp on the block.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I believe the EX-L only came with a four cylinder. The EX you could get a V6 and leather seats. I don't know why it was still considered an EX. This is according to HondaPartsNow.com.

If there's a picture of the back V6 got dual rear exhaust, L4 only had a single exhaust.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I guess I should only be looking for a 2004-08 Acura TSX if I want a performance k24. The k24a2. Or 2002 – 2004 Acura RSX TypeS for the k20a2

·
Registered
75 Posts
So I guess I should only be looking for a 2004-08 Acura TSX if I want a performance k24. The k24a2. Or 2002 – 2004 Acura RSX TypeS for the k20a2
Unless you are wanting to do an engine swap, your options for a car that has a high performance K series is pretty much an 02-06 RSX-S, 06-11 Civic SI, or a TSX. As for the TSX, the 06-08 is the one to get because it makes about 15HP more than the 04-05 and has much better aftermarket support than the 09+ with the K24Z.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2007 Honda Accord · VP Sedan 4D
Has a k24a8. Ican get this car cheap. Even though this is not a performance, what do you’ll think of it.? It’s going In a REar wheel drive .its got 300000 miles on it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
2007 Honda Accord · VP Sedan 4D
Has a k24a8. Ican get this car cheap. Even though this is not a performance, what do you’ll think of it.? It’s going In a REar wheel drive .
Depends what you are going for. What is your power goal? What mods are you planning on doing to that engine? Are you planning on running boost or staying all motor? EDIT: Just thought of something else. Those motors have an electronic throttle, which isn't great for a donor car. Unless you want to keep the electronic throttle setup you won't be able to use that throttle body, ECU, or wiring harness. And unless you can find a cable operated throttle body that fits the intake manifold, you won't be able to use that either.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Plan on putting it stock in my Mg midget. The original mg midget engine was 70 hp. So anything over that is golden. Going to buy the whole car so I don’t need to spend the extra money to ktune And I’ll have everything to run it. Maybe later I might do some mods .As you can tell this is my first time dealing with A Honda. A 2002 Honda CR-V that has a 2.4 K24 a. I think is also a good deal. Maybe I’m just hung up on needed a “real Vtec “

·
Registered
75 Posts
Plan on putting it stock in my Mg midget. The original mg midget engine was 70 hp. So anything over that is golden. Going to buy the whole car so I don’t need to spend the extra money to ktune And I’ll have everything to run it. Maybe later I might do some mods .As you can tell this is my first time dealing with A Honda. A 2002 Honda CR-V that has a 2.4 K24 a. I think is also a good deal. Maybe I’m just hung up on needed a “real Vtec “
If you are happy with 160HP than go for it. Typically I say with all the money a swap costs it's worth it to get a real VTEC engine, but if 160HP is enough for you then there's nothing wrong with the economy engines, they are very reliable and fuel efficient. However, something to think about is the cost of buying the whole car compared to just buying what you need. About you will be able to use from that car is the motor, wiring harness, and ECU, so you may consider buying those parts individually. Those Accords, CRV's, and Elements are everywhere and very easy to find cheap parts for. If you have a Pull A Part by you, you can get the whole motor with all the accessories for $225 and whatever else you need for real cheap. You could likely even get a real VTEC engine for cheaper than buying a whole car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tryed that. Junk yard engines are 700 + . harnes and matching key. $200 ecu at 200. Then I’d have to program it . That seems upward of 800$ . If I buy the car I got everything and I know the engine works . And I can part it out for money.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So if I go to a rwd . Would I be able to use the ecu from a donor car? If it’s an automatic or manual donor car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So if I go to a rwd . Would I be able to use the ecu from a donor car? If it’s an automatic or manual donor car.
No reason why you couldn't, the ECU doesn't know which wheels the engine is powering. Obviously custom wiring would be required though and you would need to wire in or somehow bypass the immobilizer. A manual ECU would be better, an auto ECU will set a bunch of transmission error codes if used with a manual trans.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts