Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what ECU could be used with good results with a stock k24a swap?

Also does hondata K pro has maps for the k24a?

This swap can be done really cheap for less than $4000 complete with mounts, engine, tranny, harness and everyhting needed to start the car... I am just wondering about the ECU.

Thanks,

Nikos

·
Registered
35 Posts
i would like to know about the ecu also.

nikos...when you say less than $4000, what are you pricing the engine at, i may be able to get one for myself CHEAP. my aunt had a 2004 accord for like 8000 miles, and got side swiped in the rear. she told me that if i wanted the engine, she would get it for me for cheap (her husband runs the junkyard its going to).

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The k24a longlblock goes for $700-$1200. To give you an example this guy on ebay has been trying to sell a k24a longblock for the last couple months for $1200 and still has not done so, so my guess is that $1200 is as high as someone should pay for it... Go to www.car-parts.com and locate one from your local junkyards.. I am sure there are plenty available.

Would the k24a USDM harness work? Any other parts that would be needed from the donor k24a car?

I said $4000 for the whole swap because I figured

$1000 for motor
$1000 tranny
$600 mounts
$200 tsx header
$100 fuel rail
$100 fuel lines
$400 axles
$200 ECU
$300-$400 for harness conversion
and misc stuff for the rest like clutch cable $60
-------------------------------------------
That;s about $4000

Then once installed you can always later on put a type-s head (they are hard to find) or turbo.....

Torque will make the car fun to drive I am sure...

As Bryan G from Hasport has predicted this swap will become the "LS swap " of the k series...

The most fun about driving is the 4000-6000 rpm range and I believe the 160 torque would really shine in the 2000lb EG.

Hey don't get me wrong.. I love the k20a and k20a2 as well but $8000 ($6000+ for k20a2) is more or less what you need to get it done on your own.

I forgot the mention the 5 speed tranny ofr the EP3. Yes not the best tranny out there and EP3 owners have a lot of problems with that tranny but that is another reason why it would not be expensive to buy.

Ultimatelly the k20a type r LSD 6sp tranny would make great but those cost around $2000 and are hard to find. I would gladly settle for a RSX tranny and later on add the LSD or final drive...

Having a detailed plan will save you money in the end for sure.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yes Hondata has maps for the K24. Doug from Hondata flew out to Phoenix a week ago and tuned one of our projects (Brian Hasty of Fastbrakes 92 Civic Hatch with K24A4). The MAP are now available for the K-pro or with Hasport reflash for Kseries.

I bought my last K24A4 for $900.

brian g

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
brian g said:
Yes Hondata has maps for the K24. Doug from Hondata flew out to Phoenix a week ago and tuned one of our projects (Brian Hasty of Fastbrakes 92 Civic Hatch with K24A4). The MAP are now available for the K-pro or with Hasport reflash for Kseries.

I bought my last K24A4 for $900.

brian g
Nikos you turned you back on me I thought you were an AEM guy.
:x

<- Still waits for AEM, I will make my own map :p

BOW DOWN TO THE K24 ALMIGHTY :shock:

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
brian g said:
Doug from Hondata flew out to Phoenix a week ago and tuned one of our projects (Brian Hasty of Fastbrakes 92 Civic Hatch with K24A4).

That is good news... Do you happen to know if they dyno it? Any numbers?

·
Registered
599 Posts
nikos said:
That is good news... Do you happen to know if they dyno it? Any numbers?
Here you go...

For comparison the other line represents a stock 02 Civic Si. Remember both engines are rated at 160 hp. The Accord had a Hasport header and short ram intake.

brian g

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am sold....

Will the engine harness + pnp harness (all the harness basically) that works in a k20a EG, would work the same way on a k24a stock EG?

Basically, assuming I have a k20a in my EG and later on I decide to go k24a, would I need to do anything else but swap the motors? Are the harnesses the same?

·
Registered
599 Posts
nikos said:
I am sold....

Will the engine harness + pnp harness (all the harness basically) that works in a k20a EG, would work the same way on a k24a stock EG?
Use the K20 engine harness on the K24, there are some minor differences but the K24 harness won't work.

brian g

·
Registered
35 Posts
i am sold on the k24. the potential is incredible. like nikos said, 160 torque in a 2000 pound hatch will be a monster. very fun to drive on the street. plus the type s trans will be fine. add an lsd and your good to go.

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found a junyard in OHIO that has one k24a from a 2003 accord for $1000 shipped with 1000 miles on it.. let me know if you want their info :p

I am going camping for 4 days.. Be back monday :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Pete_SI said:
ok this definitely has my atention...now for the wiring if you have to use all the K20 wiring where do you fine that?
Unfortunately you buy a new harness form Honda or Acura.

brian g

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pete_SI said:
ok this definitely has my atention...now for the wiring if you have to use all the K20 wiring where do you fine that?
You can use RSX wiring

·
Registered
116 Posts
well to tell you the truth
the k24a is almost the same as the k20a3
except the long block has thicker walls and 99mm pistons for more tq vs. the 86mm pistons in the a3. the very best ecu is the k20a or k20a2
but you would have to get the ecu flashed if youre getting the ecu from a type s or jus have hondata reflash your ecu

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
vizhunz02si said:
the k24a is almost the same as the k20a3
except the long block has thicker walls and 99mm pistons for more tq vs. the 86mm pistons in the a3. the very best ecu is the k20a or k20a2
but you would have to get the ecu flashed if youre getting the ecu from a type s or jus have hondata reflash your ecu
We know this.

K24 isn't almost the same.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts