Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I will purchase this header soon: (Hybrid racing race header)

I would like to know, after the header, what kind of exhaust line will connect to the header? If my car is a DC2, can I get a dc2 mid pipe & catback and just connect it? It seems like I cannot be that easy...Because I can get my hand on a mugen twin loop mid pipe and cat back in very good condition and would like to have this exhaust setup on the car...However, I don't want to have to cut the mugen mid pipe section or the header since both are expensive parts...
Thanks
JF

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Maybe some more people can advise you on this, but I suggest you looking at the flange on the header vs the flange at the beginning of the catback. With both of them off of the car judge them together and see if anything needs to be done. Don't pass up on getting that mugen exhaust man it sounds so good.

What I'm trying to say is if they don't match up get a exhaust shop to make a flange to mate with the header at one end and mate with the catback on the other. That's what I would do if it was me. Of course you have the car there so they can put it on and make sure your exhaust is lined up with the backend of your car. Exhaust shops can do flanges. You get that done I hope you post up a video as to how it sounds man.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe some more people can advise you on this, but I suggest you looking at the flange on the header vs the flange at the beginning of the catback. With both of them off of the car judge them together and see if anything needs to be done. Don't pass up on getting that mugen exhaust man it sounds so good.

What I'm trying to say is if they don't match up get a exhaust shop to make a flange to mate with the header at one end and mate with the catback on the other. That's what I would do if it was me. Of course you have the car there so they can put it on and make sure your exhaust is lined up with the backend of your car. Exhaust shops can do flanges. You get that done I hope you post up a video as to how it sounds man.
I will try, thanks for the advise, the problem is that the mugen exhaust is 2.5'' ? I know they are rare parts. Also, it is pretty quiet exhaust before vtec kick, it is really what I want.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most kswap cars have custom exhausts meaning, nothing will truely bolt up. You will need to shorten/lengthen a b-pipe to fit to the header.
ok, I guess and can figure out now... it would be so bad if I would have to ''shorten'' the mugen B pipe :(
JF

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the same header and had to do a custom "Universal" 3" cat and had to cut about a foot off of my 3" thermal r&d cat back to make it work.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
To tell you the truth man, I wouldn't worry some much about cutting a piece of the exhaust because if that's what you really want then I can imagine you keeping the exhaust. You also don't wont some exhaust that's really loud and draw too much attention. That's one thing I love about mugen exhausts. When vtec kicks in, :wow: that thing sounds mean.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To tell you the truth man, I wouldn't worry some much about cutting a piece of the exhaust because if that's what you really want then I can imagine you keeping the exhaust. You also don't wont some exhaust that's really loud and draw too much attention. That's one thing I love about mugen exhausts. When vtec kicks in, :wow: that thing sounds mean.
Ok, but don't you think the intlet on those are too small? I know however they are good performance product...
JF

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
The exhaust shop should be able to do a piece that goes from 3'' to 2.5'' I've heard many people have the 3'' header and run a 2.5'' exhaust. When will the car be ready for your exhaust? Do you have some good local exhaust shops? Go ahead and pick up that mugen exhaust :up:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The exhaust shop should be able to do a piece that goes from 3'' to 2.5'' I've heard many people have the 3'' header and run a 2.5'' exhaust. When will the car be ready for your exhaust? Do you have some good local exhaust shops? Go ahead and pick up that mugen exhaust :up:
Hi, I don't really have good local exhaust. Actually here it will be winter(snow) in couple of week, so It will be for the next summer. I want to make sure that the exhaust wont be too small for a future K24 setup...
JF

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Jean, if the flange on that header is 3 inches I would not go down to a 2.5 inch exhaust. My SSR is a 2.5 inch out, so I used a 2.5 exhaust pipe.
I would contact Stefan at ASP and get a quote on a 3 inch exhaust that would match the header.
I know you want to rev very high in the future, the 3 inch will probably be better. Contact Stefan and tell him you setup, and your future mods, as well as your altitude and baro (local weather station should have a yearly average for your area).

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jean, if the flange on that header is 3 inches I would not go down to a 2.5 inch exhaust. My SSR is a 2.5 inch out, so I used a 2.5 exhaust pipe.
I would contact Stefan at ASP and get a quote on a 3 inch exhaust that would match the header.
I know you want to rev very high in the future, the 3 inch will probably be better. Contact Stefan and tell him you setup, and your future mods, as well as your altitude and baro (local weather station should have a yearly average for your area).
Hi Signal, thank you very much for the answer, here are the spec of the header:
Quick Overview
• Full Stainless Steel Construction
• TIG welded
• 4 - 2 - 1 Design
• 2.5" outlet
• Donut gasket and O2 plug included
• Exhaust manifold gasket included

So do you think it would be good with the mugen exhaust? I guess since the header has a 2.5'' outlet...
Thanks
JF

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Hi Signal, thank you very much for the answer, here are the spec of the header:
Quick Overview
• Full Stainless Steel Construction
• TIG welded
• 4 - 2 - 1 Design
• 2.5" outlet
• Donut gasket and O2 plug included
• Exhaust manifold gasket included

So do you think it would be good with the mugen exhaust? I guess since the header has a 2.5'' outlet...
Thanks
JF
If the mugen is a 2.5 go for it. Might need to mod it a lil bit, or have a cat delete with matching flanges made like previously said. Won't know for sure what you need til ya have the header and exhaust on the car.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the mugen is a 2.5 go for it. Might need to mod it a lil bit, or have a cat delete with matching flanges made like previously said. Won't know for sure what you need til ya have the header and exhaust on the car.
just like my whole swap...will have to figure out lol
JF

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
If the outlet on the header is 2.5'' go for it man. Everything would be matching and should have a good flow.

·
Registered
457 Posts
yeah i was just thinking. if the collector is 2.5 then it should be perfect for the mugen's 2.5 diameter. i guess you just gotta get the two together somehow. it's kinda hard to se what you need without not being able to see it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah i was just thinking. if the collector is 2.5 then it should be perfect for the mugen's 2.5 diameter. i guess you just gotta get the two together somehow. it's kinda hard to se what you need without not being able to see it.
:up:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts