Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
21,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am on the hunt for the lightest flywheel out there for the K. I am aware that a lightweight flywheel will not help me with traction, but thats not what I am getting at.

I would like to know who makes the lightest flywheel and where to get it.

the lightest I have found so far is the Toda weighing in at 3.7 kg's (About 8LBS)

Anyone know anything lighter, please throw it out there and where I can get it. I tried to search this to no avail. Any contribution is good. thanks

-Colin:up:

·
Registered
21,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone know what the clutchmasters flywheel weighs? it isnt mentioned on their website

·
Premium Member
18,977 Posts
isnt the fidanza 8.0 lbs?

extremely lighter is not better....I'm not implying your a noob but have you driven a car with an extremely light flywheel...acceleration is great but remove your foot from the go pedal and its instant deceleration....I bought the 11.8# fidanza for this reason.....

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Not to mean any harm but, I've heard that to light of a flywheel can mess with your time. From what they are saying is that you need enough rotating mass and to little of rotating mass it can slow you down.

·
Registered
21,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea I drove a BMW my friends dad had with a 6lb flywheel in it. It was pretty crazy. I stalled it 6 times before I rev'd it to 4500 and let out mad slow and burned up a bunch of the clutch:silly:

I dunno, I am just kinda trying to figure out what flywheel to get. I dont think the 8lb will present problems, anyone else wanna go into why it may? i'd like to knwo more. I have heard the rotational mass messing with timing, but I thought that was also affiliated with belts, not chains....?Anyone?

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
i always buy the lightest cromoly flywheel i can find... f*ck aluminum... imho aluminum flywheels have no place in a high rpm/high hp motor no matter the weight savings... aluminum will help u off the line more but up top on a time attack car there equal and i think id go lightened cromoly for added safety..heres why..

1) if you go to low you may run into idle issues at low rpms
2) the constant contraction and expansion of aluminum will cause flywheel bolts to back out and may lead to warping over time or revs
3) under load the 8lbs aluminum flywheel and 9 pound cromoly flywheel accel at such a close rate i dont think youll even notice especially at high mph as you get up in your gears ... the only difference if any i believe will be felt under deceleration/braking/shifting.. boring LOL

also theres other things to account for yet and i think theres alot of trial and error involved in your case... you still have to figure where your powerband will be and what gearing will keep you in your powerband?..... god ... this is exciting though!

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Am i right in saying that a lightend fly wheel will reduce your top end speed??
a lightened flywheel may actually reduce the top speed a lil.

A heavier flywheel stores more energy & has greater inertia due to it's relatively higher mass.

BTW GALWAY FTW!!!! went last year... all you going to IRE its a must ...

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
I run the toda (8.2lbs chromoly) I think it compliments my ITR tranny

I believe the stock type-s is 14-15lbs, stock ITR is about 10lbs but not 100% sure

what tranny/FD will you be running?

·
Registered
21,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I run the toda (8.2lbs chromoly) I think it compliments my ITR tranny

I believe the stock type-s is 14-15lbs, stock ITR is about 10lbs but not 100% sure

what tranny/FD will you be running?
usdm type-s gearing, mugen diff, 5.0 final, maybe 4.7, I dunno....maybe higher. Minimally 4.7

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
i always buy the lightest cromoly flywheel i can find... f*ck aluminum... imho aluminum flywheels have no place in a high rpm/high hp motor no matter the weight savings... aluminum will help u off the line more but up top on a time attack car there equal and i think id go lightened cromoly for added safety..heres why..

1) if you go to low you may run into idle issues at low rpms
2) the constant contraction and expansion of aluminum will cause flywheel bolts to back out and may lead to warping over time or revs
3) under load the 8lbs aluminum flywheel and 9 pound cromoly flywheel accel at such a close rate i dont think youll even notice especially at high mph as you get up in your gears ... the only difference if any i believe will be felt under deceleration/braking/shifting.. boring LOL

also theres other things to account for yet and i think theres alot of trial and error involved in your case... you still have to figure where your powerband will be and what gearing will keep you in your powerband?..... god ... this is exciting though!
I agree with all of these things.

I have also heard of people having idle issues with a lightened flywheel, thats why i chose the ITR.

·
Registered
21,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool thanks guys

Anyone else can contribute more please, it is not something talked about much on here. Can we hear some theory about this? im trying to search some stuff, im not really finding much good though.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I really enjoy the Type-R flywheel on my 24A2. Rev-match down shifting is butter, and throttle response is quick, consistent, and predictable. Honda really hit this one outta the park.

It's OEM so I'll never have to worry about starter teeth engagement, flywheel/starter bolts backing out, or strength at almost any load/temperature.

It's a bit light for drag use, good 60's are hard to get with a stock clutch. But since mine is no longer a drag car, I'm still happy.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I have the ACT ProLite(8.5) in right now(A2/Z3w/K2's), a tad too light but liveable. I already have a ACT StreeLite(10.5) for the K24 build(with a FX300). The weights of the ITR fly and the StreetLite are about the same

·
Registered
37 Posts
i don't know others, i am with fidanza 8lb now, with type r gear and 5.0 FD, i never stall. it just take time to get used to it. i start off line at around 1200rpm.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts