Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a k20a motor with 12.5 cp pistons looking for a cam upgrade for road racing purposes. i know the ips k2 cams give good gains but are there others that might be better than the k2?

thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have a k20a motor with 12.5 cp pistons looking for a cam upgrade for road racing purposes. i know the ips k2 cams give good gains but are there others that might be better than the k2?

thanks.
can you list your whole setup...If you are going to choose a new cam you should base your choice thinking about your induction and exhaust , if it can support that cam, and the powerband you are looking for...

it's funny how people are recommending a specific cam just knowing his CR...:down: jump on the wagon :rolleyes:

·
Banned
16,396 Posts
can you list your whole setup...If you are going to choose a new cam you should base your choice thinking about your induction and exhaust , if it can support that cam, and the powerband you are looking for...

it's funny how people are recommending a specific cam just knowing his CR...:down: jump on the wagon :rolleyes:
im pretty sure he has all th basic upgrades like I/H/E KPRO etc. if he had anything else im pretty sure he would have stated it. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
12.5 CR pistons, 2.5" exhaust, toda header, CAI, RBC IM, K-Pro. I am considering the K2 Mk III though I am open to other options as long power is maximized from 5-9k.

I am assuming the Mk III retains VTC functionality?

·
Infinite levels to this..
25,373 Posts

do you even know the difference between markIIs and markIIIs? obviously you need to look it up otherwise you would see that CR has something to do with what kind of cam you will want with IPS cams. he could have a dc header, 2 1/2 inch exhaust and a stock IM and he still would be at the point of where he needs at least a set of mark IIIs. mark IIs are for a stock block and IIIs are for a "hot block". he said road racing so he wants something in a higher powerband so he can keep the revs up.

Mark IIIs, BlueprintMFG Stage 2s, Drag Cartel(i'd call and ask), Hytech(You will have to call them and tell them what setup you have, yes even your CR :hammer:). Hell if you wanna be a little different then see what Rocket Cams are doin these days. I hear real good things from them. Web Cams make some really good cams and bizi can work with you on making an IM to accomidate your cams. RCrew is out there and doin it big as well.

IPS is the best and that's a fact. Hate on the wagon all you want but if he's looking for the best of the best, powerwise, then he will want IPS. If he wants to save some cash and get some cams that are running behind IPS then he has plenty of options as well. It's up to him, but either way whoever you decide to go with then I would contact the cam company and talk to someone on what they would recommend based off of your setup.

don't have on people for giving suggestions but if you do give suggestions then at least tell the OP why you thing that would be a good choice for them.

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Well, I think you should get parts to compliment your cams, instead of cams to compliment your parts. The cams are pretty much the brains of the whole operation since they dictate the opening and closing of the valves.

Its like getting sunglasses to fit your head instead of the opposite :p

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Here's an interesting dyno by an independent tuner and owner

Bp stage 2 vs ips k2 mark2

The ips k2 is the curve that makes the most power. I think a good header and some fine tuning might help both curves as well.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'd definitely look into Skunk2 stg II, I know a couple of the road guys here up in Canada that are making great mid and peak numbers with them. They made about 226 WHP with K pro and a r crew header on my crew chief dyno. Let me see if I can get the dyno sheet for you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
do you even know the difference between markIIs and markIIIs? obviously you need to look it up otherwise you would see that CR has something to do with what kind of cam you will want with IPS cams. he could have a dc header, 2 1/2 inch exhaust and a stock IM and he still would be at the point of where he needs at least a set of mark IIIs. mark IIs are for a stock block and IIIs are for a "hot block". he said road racing so he wants something in a higher powerband so he can keep the revs up.
CR it's one of the deciding factors, not the only one...I can quote Ron here on what's he thinks it's a "2.0 hot build" , and I bet it's no only CR...

IF your definition of hot build is RBC, 12.5 cr pistons and off the shelf header and 2.5 exhuast...that's not it...

it's high CR pistons(in this case 12.5) , aftermarket rods, and a better induction system than a RBC...can be IPS manifold or ITB's (custom or not), better exhaust...in his case a 3" inch exhaust and a custom header...

i'll say it again...he does not have the supporting mods for MKIII, If I would be him I would look at the MKIIs, If he plans to upgrade his induction and exhaust system apart from the cams...MKIIIs...

if thinking with logic is hating...then :up:

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Funny you posted this.. I was on the phone with Ron last night about another "hot 2 liter" and he did say "A 2 liter hot" is not just compression..its intake and exhaust as well as other things

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
so I guess Mk IIs would nett me better gains for my setup?
I think it is way too difficult to give you a qualitative & quantitative answer - its just not a simple as you make the question

if you really want an accurate answer, have an experienced tuner dyno tune both sets of cams & pick the best one - according to your standards & desired powerband

·
Registered
51 Posts
so I guess Mk IIs would nett me better gains for my setup?
i would say yes...

to give you a different perspective...on basic setups, this would be (RBC, race header , 3" exhaust, k-pro, CR 11.0-12.5)

IPS k2 iron ductile > or = other cams in that range...(BP stage 2, skunk2 stage 2, Buddy Blub spec 2(old spec 3) etc), you can look in the archive here and you will find dynos) look for Vteckidd, Chunky`, Dohctor and others post...

IPS K2 8620(same profile as IPS K2 iron ductile just the material change, iron ductile to 8620 steel) > IPS K2 iron ductile ) --> Dynos in the archive, look for Nikos and Edo

IPS MKII 8620(IPS K2 8620 as foundation profile, better vtec transition and revised with profile tecnology from K10, Kme camshafts) > IPS K2 8620. ----> again...go to the archive...Look for Nikos and Edo...

so there is no doubt...that in a basic setup IPS MarkII > all...until is proved otherwise...

in your first post, you posted that you are doing road racing...change your exhaust size..move to a 3" inch...it's better for your engine...over at Clubrsx or here you can find test comparing 2.5" vs 3"...D-rob and others have made comparisons...proving that the latter is better...

hope it helps...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts