Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

Welder in the Building!

10K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  LotusElise 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello folks, i am a fairly new member, but i am working towards me Associates Degree in Welding!
I have one quarter left and that quarter is basically a quarter where we can work on various projects!

I enjoy doing car related projects!

I am highly skilled in Aluminum welding, both TIG and MIG!

I am also skilled in Stainless Steel!

Of coarse i am skilled with any mild steel welding!

With that said feel free to ask questions or if you need something repaired, welded shut, for cheap send me a PM and we can discuss this!

Look forward to helping a few people out!
-Alex

Here is my thread and there are a few examples of my welding in there!

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=107848

See less See more
#4 ·
I am fitting for an X-ray welder. When he is busy I am practicing open butt 6G "walking the cup" tig. As soon as I pass the test I get $3-4 more per hr. Been in the trade for years, 10 years as a fitter and 6 years as pipe welder. Mostly field work and some production.- Jus sayn.

A degree in welding is nothing more than a piece a paper that can get you into a door. Try doing the welding you are good at underneath of a table that requires mirror work. That is the kind of stuff money paying pitcrews will pay for. More or less if you can weld stuff in position all day err day it impresses people, more employable.

You will see, most folks tryn to do this stuff theirselves and save the money for materials for their projects.

Good luck.

#5 ·
good to know,I'm enrolled in class to learn welding...have'nt even touched anything yet but normal shop machinery(band saws,drill press....)

#11 ·
I have some questions! I am not a great welder I pretty much taught myself to keep things together when welding. What is the best home welder? I have a welder from harbor freight but for some reason it always gets messy when I am welding! Any tips?? Or is this just a garbage welder??
http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-68887-8494.html
And what tools do I need to start fabricating??

#18 ·
Have a few more projects going on so I thought I'd share in here also!
Its not Fabrication Friday yet but I'll have more on this fab project I've been working on tomorrow!
For now enjoy this....in my eyes its the first intake box of its kind being used on a k swap.

Welding it up tonight and have a little peak at it in the bay tomorrow!

#19 ·
Here's a few more shots of the intake box! Turning out great so far!

Fits like glove and fills that ugly hole!

Sits very nicely ontop of the hasport mount!

little side angle with my bare motor in there.

Yet to do...
Drill 3" hole on the side for the intake tube to the throttle body.
Drill 3.5" hole on the bottom for the "cold air tube" that will get air from inside the front of the wheel well!
Make a mount for it to be installed.

#25 ·
Thank you Peter! I enjoy TIG welding the most!

I've been welding for over 50 years, about 40 of them using a variety of TIG machines, and I've found that basic eye-hand-foot coordination and understanding what the heat does to the metal in question are the most important aspects of the whole thing. Flame control is next on the list. Some people can do it well and a LOT of people simply can't, no matter how much they practice.
Looking at the pictures you appear to have a natural talent for it.
Thanks Joe! In school my instructors all said the same thing. I just have a natural talent. I wish I had more projects I was doing to show more work!

#24 ·
I've been welding for over 50 years, about 40 of them using a variety of TIG machines, and I've found that basic eye-hand-foot coordination and understanding what the heat does to the metal in question are the most important aspects of the whole thing. Flame control is next on the list. Some people can do it well and a LOT of people simply can't, no matter how much they practice.
Looking at the pictures you appear to have a natural talent for it.

#30 ·
http://www.everlastwelders.ca/tigwelders/powertig-250ex.php

What are your thoughts on that TIG Welder? I want to learn to TIG weld and since that unit seems pretty affordable I'd be interested in buying it to practice. I am aware of the saying "you get what you pay for", so thought I would ask.

Thanks and be sure to post up more projects!

#32 ·
What's up fellas..I have been on the tig rig heavy , practicing, as a hobby right now. Glad to see people around here doing it their selves and good too. I am a novice but have been putting in work and my father in law has been welding for 40 yrs so I have a free teacher..I'll have to subscribe to some of the post. I plan on doing exhaust stuff and fabbing up minor things under the hood of my build coming up (k24 all motor eg)

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.