Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,742 Posts
Article about Mahle is in process to sell his forging activities to Frauenthal Group: http://www.us.mahle.com/mahle_north...ls-its-forging-activities-to-frauenthal-48256

Subheading says:
Mahle website said:
Stuttgart/Vienna, January 30, 2017 – The MAHLE Group is selling its forging activities—MAHLE Motorkomponenten GmbH—to the Austrian Frauenthal Group. Both parties have agreed not to disclose the volume of the transaction, which is still subject to approval by the antitrust authorities.
Does it affect the Motorsport parts, like pistons, in any kind?

Markus

·
Premium Member
16 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Thanks! Just a quick note to everyone, we're not here to really give you a sales pitch on anything, but more so to be a resource to help when at all possible. Whether this is through direct response to messages or questions, dissemination of technical information that we already have, or whatever, we're here to help!

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,742 Posts
...but more so to be a resource to help when at all possible.
Thanks MahleMotorsports, I appreciate it. I have plenty of questions, I would like to discuss or just to get an answer or an technical/scientifical paper link/hint.

I would like to ask a question. I have Mahle ACR181405D12 pistons in my engine, the claying result says at intake valve relief depth is not parallel to the valve head. The difference is about 2°.

Are there any construction requirement leading to that or wasn't it the aim to get it exact parallel.

The consequence is, the maximum camshaft advance is reduced by 6° as it would given by the edge of the valve relief depth. In torque spoken words about the falling edge of the left side occurs 200 rpm later. Not much one would think, but I would like to cut it to make it parallel. Which would mean to cut 0.8 mm at maximum (located at the top of the crown and cut shape is a circle).

How does Mahle think about such a cutting beside losing guarantee, just from a safety factor.

Markus

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Thanks MahleMotorsports, I appreciate it. I have plenty of questions, I would like to discuss or just to get an answer or an technical/scientifical paper link/hint.

I would like to ask a question. I have Mahle ACR181405D12 pistons in my engine, the claying result says at intake valve relief depth is not parallel to the valve head. The difference is about 2°.

Are there any construction requirement leading to that or wasn't it the aim to get it exact parallel.

The consequence is, the maximum camshaft advance is reduced by 6° as it would given by the edge of the valve relief depth. In torque spoken words about the falling edge of the left side occurs 200 rpm later. Not much one would think, but I would like to cut it to make it parallel. Which would mean to cut 0.8 mm at maximum (located at the top of the crown and cut shape is a circle).

How does Mahle think about such a cutting beside losing guarantee, just from a safety factor.

Markus
I'll have to do a little digging to look at scan data and the such, but off the top of my head there is one reason I can think of that this may be.

One of the aspects of a shelf stock part, such as this one, is that it is designed to work with as many different combinations as possible. In many instances, it is a challenge designing the crown as there are different cylinder heads available. While most people may just use the stock cylinder head as is or upgrade the components some, there are others who are running completely different cylinder heads, where critical factors such as valve sizes, angles, etc. may be different.

As such, the part is designed, as long as there is no significant compromise to warrant a separate piston, to accommodate various cylinder head specs.

Not saying that this is the case in your particular instance, but it could be. I'll look into it further.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Is it easy to get custom 4032 pistons made? Most manufacturers stick to 2618 when it comes to custom.
I can't really speak as to why others stick to 2618, may have something to do with their availability of a forging, but material composition makes no difference in the ability to make a custom. We do customs in both materials, it really just depends on the application and how the end user will be using the engine (i.e. street/performance, racing, etc.).

Regarding piston alloys, there is a lot of misinformation out there about which alloy to use between 4032 and 2618, so I'd encourage anyone to do plenty of research when deciding which one to go with. There isn't one alloy that's all around "better" than the other, but rather a certain alloy that is better for certain specific situations and applications.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,742 Posts
...so I'd encourage anyone to do plenty of research when deciding which one to go with...
Do you have any paper, book, link for recommendation to start with? I want to develope an specific cumbustion chamber design for a faster flame propagation and need some background informations concering fabrication and design limits, e.g. piston crown wall thickness, ring land design requirements, ....

Markus

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Thanks for your thought's and in advance for your later replay to that :up:.

Markus
So looking at the design, it was based off of the OE specs so it shouldn't be any different than the OE part. That being said, it doesn't mean the angle doesn't match the cylinder head. The intake should be at 26° and the exhaust at 25°.

There are a couple variables that would need to be clarified first before we can go further. Was the block or cylinder head decked? Was P-to-V checked with a torqued head gasket (a new one vs. an old one)? I assume it was checked with rings installed on the piston?

Regarding cutting the pockets on the piston, there is room on that particular piston to safely cut the pockets deeper. For the intake you can go 0.8mm and exhaust up to 2.11mm deeper.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I desperately tried to source Mahle Motorsport 87mm pistons, ACR181425D04, for my stroker build and were unable to get them anywhere in Europe or the US. I was told from 3 vendors that Mahle discontinued them. :-(
As I wanted a 4032 type alloy, my only choice left were the Supertech pistons.
I would have preferred the mahle ones. Now it is too late.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I desperately tried to source Mahle Motorsport 87mm pistons, ACR181425D04, for my stroker build and were unable to get them anywhere in Europe or the US. I was told from 3 vendors that Mahle discontinued them. :-(
As I wanted a 4032 type alloy, my only choice left were the Supertech pistons.
I would have preferred the mahle ones. Now it is too late.
That's a shame, hate you got misinformation about that. That's our best selling part for this platform, so no chance it would be discontinued......

We always encourage people, whether it is technical information or a simple stock check, to give us a call so that you can be assured that the information given is factual and correct. That's one of the reasons we're trying to find new and better ways to communicate with end users (like this forum), so that we can eliminate misinformation.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,742 Posts
Marko, these guys are not far from Cologne...just for your information:

BAR-TEK® Motorsport GmbH
Geschaftsführer: Bartek Bartoszewicz
Im Rauschen Auel 3
51491 Overath-Brombach
email: info(at)bar-tek.de
www.bar-tek-tuning.de

Markus

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.