Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well while im waiting for my k20 i decided to do some weight reduction.So far i removed the front and rear seats,carpeting,all the interior panels except door and front pillar and headliner,all rear seat belts and brackets,basically anything that i could unbolt is gone,I took off all the sound deadning even the 2 little patches on the firewall,took out that heavy mat on firewall,removed heater box and all lines,blower motor all the vent tubes,radio and speakers r gone,half the dash is left lol.What else can i do to make it lighter.I know battery and lexan windows,bumper supports and inside the doors,plan on removing the front wiper arm and motors(dont plan on driving in rain)Gonna geta grinder this weekend and cut some brakets off.What else can i do any opinions on what i can do is appreciated and if you have pics even better. :cool:

·
Registered
285 Posts
i dont know if you want to do this but Dahlback cut out the trunk area in his VW Golf(you can touch the huge muffler from inside the car). i guess you can do something like that if you really want it light. :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I seen that car its to crazy 2 comprehend lol i love them audi 5 banger turbo motors i had 1 hehe.I dont want to do nothing that drastic.I want to make it as lite as i possibly can.Do they sell cf hatches and where can i find liteweight door skins fenders etc etc :cool:

·
Registered
384 Posts
it seems like you got it pretty down... cutting the support beams from the doors, removing the bumper supports and switchin to lexan windows will get you down a good ways...

there really is no need for the carbon fiber hatch, as all the weight in the rear hatch is in the window...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://www.mmrusa.com/8891Fiber.htm

I was looking at this today and was thinking of getting it and the door shells i have an idea on the rear hatch to cut some metal away and do away with the hinges and locks and use latches to hold the hatch down.Does anyone make premolded lexan windows or would i have to make my own if they do where can i buy them thanxs :up: :cool: I was thining a fuel cell 2 maybe 5 gallons this wont be my daily driver just my weekend warrior to layeth the smack down on fools hehe :dance:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Dc5itracer said:
http://www.mmrusa.com/8891Fiber.htm

I was looking at this today and was thinking of getting it and the door shells i have an idea on the rear hatch to cut some metal away and do away with the hinges and locks and use latches to hold the hatch down.Does anyone make premolded lexan windows or would i have to make my own if they do where can i buy them thanxs :up: :cool: I was thining a fuel cell 2 maybe 5 gallons this wont be my daily driver just my weekend warrior to layeth the smack down on fools hehe :dance:

stay away from mmr... it took my boy several months to get the parts he ordered from them...

you don't really need the front end, just remove the front bumper support, that should save you some weight. as for the doors, just cut off the door beams and use lexan window... the door beams themselves are a good 20-25lbs. there a couple companies that make premolded lexan but it is $$$... you can save some and do it yourself, you can buy large sheets from home depot and make the windows yourself

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dc5itracer said:
half the dash is left lol.:cool:
Hi,
How did you go about doing this? Any pics or info on how much weight was saved???

I have taken loads of weight out of my EF6 so far by sorting the interior.
I am in the process of doing the polycarbinate windows, carbon hood skin, and a few other things ready for the K20 to be installed.

Thanks a lot
Luke

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.