Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched here and there for a comparison between a k20a2 water pump and a k20z3 water pump. Their part numbers are different and the k20a2 doesn't cross reference to a good Honda part number?

My issue is I have a big race coming up this weekend and where I live there is only a Honda dealer no Acura dealer. I can have a Oem K20Z3 water pump here tomorrow but even after market K20a2 water pumps are at least 3-7 days out. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,644 Posts
I'm in the same situation... And I can't recall which one of my cars has which pump. My RSX-S currently has my K20Z3 block in it. My Del Sol currently has my K24A2 engine which at one time was in my RSX and had the K20A2 water pump. But I can't recall if I just left the pump housings on the block or not when I did the switcheroo.

They share a water pump gasket part # though!

I need to replace my water pump on my K24a2 and don't know which pump I need... :(

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,868 Posts
...I need to replace my water pump on my K24a2 and don't know which pump I need... :(
Not much of help, but I just read at Frankenstein build manual of HR that the water pump housing and the pump itself have to be from the same K-series. E.g. K20A2 housing needs K20A2 pump because of the oil cooler piping which the K24 housing doesn't have.

I have searched here and there for a comparison between a k20a2 water pump and a k20z3 water pump.
Maybe that will help more: http://www.k20a.org/forum/showpost.php?p=710479&postcount=8 :D

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,644 Posts
Yeah, the weird thing is the K20Z3 water pump also is for use with an oil cooler. I know they share a gasket. I'm going to be pick one up later today and compare the bolt pattern and fins.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did anyone ever find out if they were different or not? I compared pictures on ebay, and they look the same, but i am not going off that reference lol. I have a k20z3 water passage and need a new wp because the pulley is warped on the original z3 wp, and the k20a2 pump is cheaper than the k20z3 pump on ebay by $20, plus i am building a true frank motor and want to mix match everything dammit :shades:

·
USDM > *
4,858 Posts
Did anyone ever find out if they were different or not? I compared pictures on ebay, and they look the same, but i am not going off that reference lol. I have a k20z3 water passage and need a new wp because the pulley is warped on the original z3 wp, and the k20a2 pump is cheaper than the k20z3 pump on ebay.
The information below is correct:
I just read at Frankenstein build manual of HR that the water pump housing and the pump itself have to be from the same K-series. E.g. K20A2 housing needs K20A2 pump because of the oil cooler piping which the K24 housing doesn't have.
There's more to it than just the oil cooler....the housings are also physically different. To give another example, I bought a k20a2 wp housing and it would not line up with the k20z3 water pump. The z3 fins were hitting the a2 housing. So I had to go and buy a new a2 water pump and it bolted right up to the a2 housing. I did not go back and check if the reverse combination would work (i.e. Z3 housing with a2 wp).

·
Super Moderator
26,616 Posts
In addition to the water pump fins, the way the alternator fits on the Z3 is different than the A2.. If you put a Z3 water pump and housing on an A2 block, you will need a Z3/TSX style alternator.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,868 Posts
I don't understand why Honda made all these slight differences. One would imagine it would be cheaper from a manufacturing and supply side to make these accessories all identical.
Just on explaination why...for me a likely one.

Different markets, different prices...sometimes it is more worth to reduce quantity in production over gaining cost effects through it, because the aftermarket price could be fitted to the local market, just by having market one with design one, market two with ... . Just keep in mind, normally there is a factor of 2.5-6.0 between sales price and production costs. Designing it non-interchangeable secures a strategy of having that big differnce in pricing = price control. Hope my picture in head of that got clear with my wording?!

Most this is done in parts, having no or a very long maintanance intervall, but definitly dying inbetween one typical engine lifetime. With e.g. spark plugs this strategy wouldn't be possible...the higher the amount of pieces, the shorter the maintance intervall and the smaller the price per piece the lower the factor mentioned above because such business will always disturbed by external aftermarket companies.

Thechnically I completely aggree with you, there is no real cause for that.

Markus

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,868 Posts
...Seems like Ford has a different plan with their "one world car" philosophy...
That's cool BlackNDecker...sometimes the one world-one engine thinking is difficult to keep up till the end of the product design process...e.g. through different emission ratings = different mapping and eventually different components to keep the engine efficiency high (e.g. combustion process design)...the compromises to be done are bigger. But yes, it is very attractive cost wise, service wise, and a lot of more...

Markus

1 - 13 of 13 Posts