Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I took the front seat of my rsx ... the air abg light.. light on !!!

anyone know how to by pass de side airbag sensor to remove the srs light in the dash ????

·
Registered
453 Posts
master R said:
when I took the front seat of my rsx ... the air abg light.. light on !!!

anyone know how to by pass de side airbag sensor to remove the srs light in the dash ????
Are you planning to install the seats back in the rsx? Then you can reset it. Not sure since you remove the seats and the srs lights is on if the front bags are still functional. Hopefully you find the solution.

·
Registered
348 Posts
there is way to bypass the side air bags.....the srs unit checks for a certain resistance that the side airbag gives and the srs unit checks if that resistance is the same (undeployed) if its okay the srs light goes away if there is high resistance(deployed) then the srs light stays on....just gotta find the resistance and stick a resistor between the two wires to show the resistance and the light should stay off.........at honda there are honda tools that plug into the socket with the correct resistance to show if there is a fault in the airbag or the wire......get that and stick it in there and your set...good luck tryin to get honda to order that part for you..but hey its worth a try...good luck.!!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
K20DC2R said:
there is way to bypass the side air bags.....the srs unit checks for a certain resistance that the side airbag gives and the srs unit checks if that resistance is the same (undeployed) if its okay the srs light goes away if there is high resistance(deployed) then the srs light stays on....just gotta find the resistance and stick a resistor between the two wires to show the resistance and the light should stay off.........at honda there are honda tools that plug into the socket with the correct resistance to show if there is a fault in the airbag or the wire......get that and stick it in there and your set...good luck tryin to get honda to order that part for you..but hey its worth a try...good luck.!!!

I used a paper clip :silly:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tried using a 5watt 2ohm resistors, & it worked fine on the passenger seat of my 2001 Accord. I simply disconnected the battery, unplugged the yellow airbag connection, put the resistors in the plug from the floor, then re connected the battery & the light went out just as it always did when I started the car. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Technically speaking, the statement below is incorrect. What is there is some kind of a detonation/activation circuit. Probably a wire that heats up. This would make it very very similar to a resistor... the detonator wants to heat up, the resistor does not. The resistor has just enough wire to make up the rated resistance +- a very small tolerance. The detonator does not need to be so precise.... So the material maybe slightly different. Therefore, a subtle difference... In any case splitting hair, here.

The ECU uses the fact that there is a very small heating element with a small but measurable resistance. It sends a very small current to see, if there is no short or open circuit. It sets a light, if it sees short or open. The ECU needs to send a very small amount of voltage and current as to take the measurement but not detonate the airbag.

As I mentioned before, a detonator is not a precision resistor, since that is not what it is used for. So the ECU knows that it is looking for something around xx Ohm... An open circuit will not work, a very large kilo-ohm resistor will not work, as very small resistor will not work. What is the range acceptable to the ECU, we do not know. Safe to assume 1 to 5, maybe 10 ohm....

Resistors are rated by the amount of energy they can dissipate. Hence, 5W resistors, etc. A resistor resists the current. The energy that it resisted turns into heat. The higher the energy rating the more heat the resistor can dissipate, the bigger the actual part. Small circuit-board resistors are 1/2 or 1/4 Watt or less. Large wire-wound units are 5W or 10W +, they are just like large heating elements. :)

Using a higher Watt rated resistor is OK. It just takes up more space. (Has more inductance which is not desirable in high fidelity audio...)

The ECU is not sending a lot of current by definition, so large Watt resistor is not necessary. However, as long as the ohm rating is in the ball-park, it will work just as good.

Thinking about this more.... If one was to put in a small resistor instead of an airbag... and there was an accident.. ECU would send a lot more current to the resistor to activate the airbag (that is not there)... This will make whatever the resistor there very hot, just like the detonator, they are the same this way, after all.... may cause a small fire....

Does anyone know of what an ECU does to the airbag voltage and current for activation and for how long?

Anton

a resistor will work if you use the right one. after all thats what is there to begin with

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.