Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CM7 Accord - K24A4 - 5 Speed Manual
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a list of questions for those running a VTEC killer on a k24a4 with k20a2 cams (or similar settup), preferably if you street/daily the car.

1. How is it on the road? Is it drivable or is it unbearable?

2. how much power did you gain on your settup? Also what is your settup and your redline? (I’m planing to keep the car below 7k RPM)

3. Could this settup be run on 87 and be ok or do you really need the higher compression?

4. How hard was it to tune? (I live pretty far from any honda tuners so idk how easily I could get it tuned on a dyno)

keep in mind this is all on a highschooler’s budget and this honestly may be way out of my league but idk. I’m just looking for experienced feedback

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
This is a list of questions for those running a VTEC killer on a k24a4 with k20a2 cams (or similar settup), preferably if you street/daily the car.

1. How is it on the road? Is it drivable or is it unbearable?

2. how much power did you gain on your settup? Also what is your settup and your redline? (I’m planing to keep the car below 7k RPM)

3. Could this settup be run on 87 and be ok or do you really need the higher compression?

4. How hard was it to tune? (I live pretty far from any honda tuners so idk how easily I could get it tuned on a dyno)

keep in mind this is all on a highschooler’s budget and this honestly may be way out of my league but idk. I’m just looking for experienced feedback
-you don’t “need” a dyno, road tuning is very useful for cars that are driven on the street. But to get the most out of it seeing the graph tells the tuner quite a bit.
-oem compression and 87 octane is just fine. You have a low compression engine -9.4:1 or so.
- it will be choppy and take a little bit more gas pedal to take off than normal but once you get past 2500 or so rpm it won’t be very much to notice.
-expect 20-30whp gains across the board on a k24 with bolt ons. Use a type s oil pump if you can and keep it @7500 or lower. Those rods don’t like high rpm and neither does the oem balance shaft oil pump.
-make sure to clearance the rocker assembly for the new, larger cam lobes. There are several DIY videos I can source and link if you want.
i don’t have a setup like this but thought I would share what I know 👍

·
Registered
834 Posts
Why VTEC killer set-up? Normally this is only done for engines exceeding like 9500 rpm.
Stock head with VTEC is good for 8.8k rpm. Your bottom end will not take more than 7500 for any longer duration.
You only get the disadvantages of low torque etc and non of the advantages of a VTEC killer set-up with ultra high rpm capability being the major one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why VTEC killer set-up? Normally this is only done for engines exceeding like 9500 rpm.
Stock head with VTEC is good for 8.8k rpm. Your bottom end will not take more than 7500 for any longer duration.
You only get the disadvantages of low torque etc and non of the advantages of a VTEC killer set-up with ultra high rpm capability being the major one.
its really a budget way to add power, but I suppose it is more effective at high rpms. most people who talk about the setup never mention how high they push their engines, but my build will stay very mild. I'm might just gonna go high compression and switch to 93 but I wanted to see about these answers nontheless, as i'm still debating between the two

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
-you don’t “need” a dyno, road tuning is very useful for cars that are driven on the street. But to get the most out of it seeing the graph tells the tuner quite a bit.
-oem compression and 87 octane is just fine. You have a low compression engine -9.4:1 or so.
- it will be choppy and take a little bit more gas pedal to take off than normal but once you get past 2500 or so rpm it won’t be very much to notice.
-expect 20-30whp gains across the board on a k24 with bolt ons. Use a type s oil pump if you can and keep it @7500 or lower. Those rods don’t like high rpm and neither does the oem balance shaft oil pump.
-make sure to clearance the rocker assembly for the new, larger cam lobes. There are several DIY videos I can source and link if you want.
i don’t have a setup like this but thought I would share what I know 👍
this honestly helps me out a lot, thank you!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A4 with tsx cams /k20 oil pump on e85
Sounding awesome I will add 😅
That Is super dope but I’m not building a race car lmaoo

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This one sounds great 😃 this was member @flesh199 i do believe.
I’ve listened to this video over and over again. I love the way these things sound

1 - 12 of 12 Posts