Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Honda's pictorial representation of the VTC mechanism illustrates very clearly the operating principle of generic VVT - ie turning the camshaft in relation to the driving sprocket. However the actual VTC mechanism is unclear from the diagram. Readers should bear in mind that the generic VVT mechanism I described on the iVTEC article is just that - generic. Different manufacturers will implement the mechanism using different details. However, the important part is the introduction of a mechanism to isolate the camshaft from its driving sprocket and which also allows the relative rotational alignment between the two to be accurately controlled and continously changed.

From what little is available from the Honda illustration, it seems that Honda may have opted to use a gear and tooth mechanism on the sprocket itself to implement the ability to rotate the sprocket in relation to the camshaft (or vice versa depending on how you look at it.)

The VTC actuator, installed on the intake camshaft, is controlled by oil pressure, to allow for dynamic and continuous valve timing to fit the load of the engine.

Hope these help in somenthing...

·
Registered
1 Posts
There seems to be two different VTC units.

I looked up the TSX ones, and all of the years use the 15830-RBB-003 part number. The samething with 05-06 Base and Type S RSX.

While the 02-04 Base and Type S RSX use the 15830-PNC-003 part number?

Does anyone know the differences? Or are we just going to default back to reasoning of some type of a revision improvement in the later model?
Not sure If it's a big deal but I took an RAA from a k24 and put it in k20 from the original RBB model

21 - 23 of 23 Posts