Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
one
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be two different VTC units.

I looked up the TSX ones, and all of the years use the 15830-RBB-003 part number. The samething with 05-06 Base and Type S RSX.

While the 02-04 Base and Type S RSX use the 15830-PNC-003 part number?

Does anyone know the differences? Or are we just going to default back to reasoning of some type of a revision improvement in the later model?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
When I purchased a new one this past spring, it had a RBC part# but that appears not to be carried any longer.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
I thought the TSX VTC was a 25 degree unit while the Type-S was a 50 degree?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
The VTC solenoid is totally separate from the VTC gear on the cam, the gear is what limits the cam travel as it is machined differently internally. The VTC solenoid simply allows the high pressure oil to enter the VTC gear thru the passageways in the head. It is simply a switch with a filter screen.

·
one
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The VTC solenoid is totally separate from the VTC gear on the cam, the gear is what limits the cam travel as it is machined differently internally. The VTC solenoid simply allows the high pressure oil to enter the VTC gear thru the passageways in the head. It is simply a switch with a filter screen.
Please do not insult my intelligence, I know that. I first assumed Honda made different solenoids based on the VTC - which is obviously not true.

What I still do not know is why there is a PNA, RBB, & PNC solenoids? They were used cross platform varying on the year - no correlation to the VTC degree. If they simply were just updated revisions, then what exactly is the difference?

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
What I still do not know is why there is a PNA, RBB, & PNC solenoids? They were used cross platform varying on the year - no correlation to the VTC degree. If they simply were just updated revisions, then what exactly is the difference?

Whats the price difference? Some factory parts that I have seen have 2 different numbers but seem to be the same parts. But one is much cheaper than the other, and I have been told that certain parts are manufactured in the states and labeled with a different part number so they can be sold at a better price...

I thought you were talking about the gear at first... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Not insulting your intelligence at all, i was simply replying to the posts before you, sorry if you took it that way.

In the EP3 helms it shows two different designs for the VTC solenoid, a two screen and a three screen version.

I have a feeling that the differences between them is simply the country of origin/manufacture.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Alright, gotcha.

Now I wonder which solenoid is the best one to use on a TSX 25 cam gear given I have all 3 solenoids currently in possession...
Hmmm if you only had a three headed coin...LOL

I would opt for whichever one came with the engine in the stock configuration.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a k24a2 with stock VTC solenoid. I am having an issue where my cam angle in kpro follows camcmd but not very well. Instead of there being a smooth line following camcmd there is a jagged line where the cam angle seems to be jumping around.

Not sure if the solenoid could be causing this but I have one from a k20a3 that I could plug in. It's a single filter vs the three filter in the k24a2. Is there any risk to trying it? Am I wasting my time?

·
Registered
389 Posts
interesting topic i was just asking some questions on this topic in another thread as im trying to understand this whole VTC and 25* and 50* thing, i thought it was something totally different because it was a k but you guys are very educated in your answers. but coming from knowing b series stuff its called diff.

so with that said....
VTC = vtec selanoid (if thats how you spell it)
VTC GEAR = Cam gear sprockets

YES YES!!!!! or NO NO!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts